View Full Version : Sony Ericsson Makes Another Massive Loss

Ben
16th July 2009, 01:36 PM
http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile-phones/news/2009/07/16/Sony-Ericsson-Make-Another-Massive-Loss/p1

Following up its 97 per cent profit crash this time last year and 358m euro loss in Q1 the monster conglomerate announced it has managed to lose 283m euros in Q2. This breakdown every bit as depressing as you might imagine with the a 213m euro loss in net income comparing to a 6m euro profit in Q2 2008 making that 97 per cent profit fall (and talk in terms of profits at all) look rosy by comparison.
Perhaps more worryingly it reports average handset prices went up six euros to 112 euros and it shipped just 13.8m of them in Q2 2009 compared to 24.4m in the year ago quarter - a horrendous 44 per cent drop off. On the bright side (ish) the 2,000+ jobs it has cut since Q1 are expected to help stabilise the company over time. Sony Ericsson also retains a net cash position of 965m euros despite predicting a 10 per cent contraction in the global handset market this year.
They've just got nothing decent at the top end. Everyone knows that the mid and low end handsets sell on the coat tails of the all-singing-all-dancing flagship models.

Hands0n
16th July 2009, 03:53 PM
They've promised an Android handset for 2009. Lets hope they don't ruin it by their usual propensity to over-egg things.

Ben
16th July 2009, 03:54 PM
They're going to need several, surely, to turn this around. They need to pull a HTC/LG/Samsung and get some damn phones to market!

Hands0n
16th July 2009, 10:38 PM
SE seem to have a loyal following ... a friend of mine will not have anything else. But unfortunately for SE there are insufficient numbers of these

Ben
16th July 2009, 11:00 PM
Wow, I knew some loyal SE'ers, but they've long since flipped to the iPhone :D Yours is a dying breed, my friend!