View Full Version : 'Most' O2 web services restored

Ben
22nd July 2009, 09:12 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8161938.stm

The "vast majority" of O2 customers who lost internet connections on their mobile phones have had their service restored, a company spokesman said.

The network outage left hundreds of thousands of UK monthly contract users without access to the web or multimedia messaging from Tuesday afternoon.

O2 says it will continue to restore all services while it investigates the cause of the problem.

The company holds an exclusive contract for Apple's iPhone.

More than two million of O2's 20.8 million customers use its data services, an O2 spokesperson told the BBC.

But the total number affected by the outage was less than that because those with Blackberry handsets and on pre-pay tariffs were not affected, she added.

There were no problems with voice or text services.

O2 will also be the exclusive outlet for the Palm Pre, widely touted as the next credible threat to iPhone's stranglehold on the smartphone market, which will create an additional large load of data network traffic.
:S Was anyone affected? I don't recall losing data connectivity, though I did notice my iPhone 3G wouldn't connect, which is on PAYG so supposedly unaffected...

miffed
22nd July 2009, 10:32 AM
I noticed when I tried to check my mail a few times I got "Unable to connect to cellular data network" - but this was intermittant throughout the adternoon , mail was getting through at some point.

chagle
22nd July 2009, 10:37 AM
Can't say I was.

My mail gets checked every hour whilst MobileMe is pushed - not had any issues...

Ben
22nd July 2009, 11:49 AM
Obviously wasn't toooo bad then. Still, I hope this isn't a sign of things to come - apparently the 3GS is selling faster than Apple can make them at the moment...

I suppose central London would have been worst affected. There's an iPhone pandemic going on there.

@NickyColman
22nd July 2009, 04:12 PM
I was affected in Tyne & Wear. At least at til 5'ish in the afternoon.

I couldnt send picture messages or connect to the web.

Thought i hadnt paid my bill lol!

dgilbert2
22nd July 2009, 07:52 PM
Stopped working in both Loughborough & Derby, also this morning!

Hands0n
22nd July 2009, 08:24 PM
Not missed a beat in East London and North Kent ... (now I've gorn 'n dunnit).