View Full Version : Palm Pré.

@NickyColman
22nd July 2009, 05:08 PM
Anyone tempted by the Palm Pre?

It's due out later this year exclusively on O2, but is anyone really bothered?

I don't know a single person who knows what a Pre is let alone buy one!

O2 already have iPhone as its flagship handset so is the Pre really any threat to Apple?

Personally, I don't think it's a threat to iPhone. From most reviews I've read the battery life is piss poor and it suffers quite a bit of lagging. That alone would put me off. iPhone's battery isnt really that good for me, so anything worse is a no go!

Ben
22nd July 2009, 05:17 PM
Build quality is supposed to be naff, as is the keyboard.

I think the Pre will have limited success if sold at a cheap enough price. While I love the iPhone it's a very expensive device - a significantly cheaper Pre would flesh out O2's lineup of 'really cool' smartphones.

@NickyColman
22nd July 2009, 05:20 PM
Totally! I think thats the only way O2 can really make the Pre fly buy offering them on fantastic tarrifs.

Build quality is important to me, very important. I HATE creaky, squeaking handsets that move and rattle all the time and according to most reports the keyboard/slide mechanism is really bad for it.

I suppose thats one thing i love about iPhone, no moving parts (except the silent switch of course). Its sturdy.

The iPhone isnt at risk. . .yet.

Ben
22nd July 2009, 05:26 PM
The iPhone isnt at risk. . .yet.
People are going to start calling you getti if you're not careful ;)

If the Pre was on Vodafone I'd be tempted to take it as a free upgrade to my N95 8GB, assuming it would be free. It'd be nice to play with. I'd never give it any notable level of use, though, the iPhone totally has my day covered!

@NickyColman
22nd July 2009, 05:34 PM
Haha, im just hoping someone can beat the iPhone, well & truly.

If nothing else it'd be great for competition. Imagine the iPhone Apple could create if they really had to out-do the competition!

Now that'd be worth buying!

Ben
22nd July 2009, 05:44 PM
Imagine the iPhone Apple could create if they really had to out to the competition!
Definitely, and I think they'll be feeling the heat already - I wonder if, in their wildest dreams, they thought they'd be seeing competition from a Palm resurgence and a new initiative from the biggest internet company on the planet! I bet they looked at Windows Mobile and Blackberry, with all the legacy support and compatibility/advanced functionality they're required to keep for their sprawling enterprise userbases, and thought "LoL! Suckers will never be able to offer anything close to what we can!"

I was configuring the email settings on a friend's Samsung Omnia the other day. Windows Mobile, oh boy. That's one OS that needs to die, and yet still it's powering on! I suppose there's a good chance Android will change that in the consumer space and relegate Windows Mobile to the enterprise world where, quite frankly, it belongs.

@NickyColman
22nd July 2009, 05:49 PM
Windows Mobile LOL!! Never has an OS been so counter intuitive !

I played with my friends dad's HTC Touch HD and i laughed my socks off the whole time. The OS is terrible. How they expect to compete with iPhone OS and the Andriod brigade is beyond me!

The only thing going for Windows Mobile is laziness on behalf of companies who are too cheap/afraid to switch their entire phone line up to a new company. (Most bosses will know their staff will get nothing done with an iPhone in their hands)

Hands0n
22nd July 2009, 08:33 PM
Windows Mobile - the OS that has had its day and just refuses to lie down gracefully and die.

I, too, have been solicited to help folk out with theirs - being the locally well know "phone doctor", a reputation that I am trying desperately to shake off ... As you've said, it is horrible in the extreme.

Android is an interesting little bugger - out of the box my HTC Magic worked. It wanted to know about my Google Mail account, and as soon as I gave it my details it just fired up, sync'd all of my contacts and that was it, job done!

The iPhone set up and change is equally straightforward, moreso if you are on MobileMe to sync across your Desktop, Laptop, Cloud and Handset. Of course, its a paid-for service unlike Google's accounts. But all the same, it completely defines the word "simple".

I'll not be bothering with the Pre - not unless it has something so utterly challenging to the other two which, from what I have read, it doesn't. WebOS is simply not good enough a sales hook - I really don't care how it integrates - I want the intuitive ease of use and all round flexibility of the iPhone and/or Android if it is to stir even the beginnings of an interest.