View Full Version : iPhone MMS woes !

miffed
26th July 2009, 07:52 PM
Had loads of trouble with this - the potentilal for causing far more serious trouble exists too IMO

Sent an MMS (innocent picture of a house ) to the wife today , it arrived - but appeared as being from a number she did not know ! - she did not realise this (as she was expecting that very picture and replied replied to this MMS with an SMS , - which was then followed up with a "who are you ?" message from the owner of the mystery number (fortunately , this turned out to be a simple text , and an understanding recipient ) I am sure you can imagine how the whole situation could have easily been a lot worse (come on ? We are adults here ) ....

She then tries to send me an MMS (straight to my number , not as a reply to the one I sent her ) - which seemed to send , but all I got was a text message from an unknown sender , saying "Permanant-service-denied"

A quick google shows that (this time) I am not alone , although the reports are suggesting this was part of last weeks "outage" and should be sorted now ?
http://forum.o2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=23681

Not a good one this , o2 ! ... You can't go around giving peoples pics out willy nilly !

I seem to have solved the problem by resetting network settings and rebooting both iPhones , but I cant imagine what (on the handset) could cause such a problem ?

Ben
26th July 2009, 09:18 PM
That's really odd. Some cracks are showing in O2's network at the moment! Could be an interesting few months, especially if the Pre ever launches...

Hands0n
26th July 2009, 10:07 PM
One has to wonder if these are pre-Pre shocks in their network. Its all a bit of a coincidence. Made all the worse by O2's tight lip.

gorilla
27th July 2009, 11:12 AM
I have a success rate of about 50% when it comes to sending MMS. I was in Edinburgh at the weekend and for about 4 hours on Saturday I could not get data at all.

I was in a bar in Belfast about 2 weeks ago, with full strength 3g (yes 3g!!) and I couldn't send SMS.

I would have thought that O2 would be doing something to sort out these issues, but the longer the contract goes on the more problems I seem to have.

If O2 are serious about smartphones, they have to make serious investment in their network otherwise it's just going to fail on a regular basis. A few of my mates (who are technophobes and no very little about phones) are now beginning to upgrade and are asking for "the internet on my phone". I'm sure they are not alone and this would indicate to me that in a very short space of time, most people are going to have internet enabled devices. In short, mobile data is only going to grow. The question for me is, how will O2 react?

miffed
27th July 2009, 11:25 AM
This is what happens when you invite all and sundry to your party !

I suppose it is all part of the proccess , and just hope that o2 will indeed respond by fixing the problem with over-compensation , rather than hole-patching !

Ben
27th July 2009, 02:28 PM
I really hope O2 have long term network improvement plans, and a strategy for a bigger rollout of high speed data services (even if it means waiting to deploy 3G in other bands). If they haven't then Telefonica can naff right back off to where they came from ;) But as Telefonica bid for one of the original 3G licences back in the day I think/hope they're serious about the service they offer in the UK.

Only time is going to tell on this one. As soon as any of us experience problems, though, it's important that we log them with O2. Can't rely on them to notice the issues.

miffed
28th July 2009, 08:12 PM
Wife has had a couple of my SMS's to her show up as "Permanant-service-denied" from an unknown number toady
Told her to ring o2 , I may pop into the store tomorrow.

Find it all a bit sad really , I have always championed o2 , never had any of the busy netword / dropped call / poor coverage problems that a lot of people moan about .... but the last week or so I am really starting to wonder if they are up to the job ?
Come on o2 ! prove me wrong !!

@NickyColman
28th July 2009, 09:37 PM
@Miffed - exact same thing happened to me!

I received a picture of an octopus from a friend (no idea why) but it came through from another number. When i rang this other number it went straight to answer machine and when replying to the number it didnt go back to my friend.

The same friend has also had the Permanent Service Denied message. After rebooting the phone it works again.

VERY strange and could cause loads of problems!!