View Full Version : Vodefone BB live TV

Jon3G
1st June 2005, 01:00 AM
Hi

I have just stumbled across BB live tv on Vodafone Live. It costs £1 for 24 hours viewing and its a live feed into the house.

Just watched some and its ok quality

Maybe this is the sign of VTV

Voda live has also got a TV section and its looking like a VTV launch is coming

timothythetim
1st June 2005, 11:13 AM
Hi

I have just stumbled across BB live tv on Vodafone Live. It costs £1 for 24 hours viewing and its a live feed into the house.

man, that's a lot cheaper than three's 75p per minute

Ben
1st June 2005, 11:37 AM
Hmm, and yet a lot more expensive than Orange's £10 a month (if used regularly) - not to mention that all Orange 6680 customers can watch Big Brother completely free.

I'm interested to see what Vodafone's TV move will be. Surely they'd rather go for a broadcast solution rather than a streaming one, but that might be too far off. I certainly don't think they'll develop an application for the job, like Orange, but perhaps might have a couple of streams available on Vodafone Live! at similar rates to the BB coverage?

Jon3G
1st June 2005, 12:15 PM
Hmm, and yet a lot more expensive than Orange's £10 a month (if used regularly) - not to mention that all Orange 6680 customers can watch Big Brother completely free.

When you are watching the live feed it is through real play - well on the 6680 anyway and it seems all 3G phones that can accept 3G streaming can watch it unlike the Orange service currently.

When you work it out I could watch BB for 24 hours and and did a check and used 1MB of data roughly every minute watched.

If you look at the Orange offering is not that good value for money really

example

30 days x 24 hours = 720 hours

Orange say that 1 gig of data means 20 hours viewing so you can only watch it for 27 mins a day

So after lets say you use the OTV service for 3 hours a day and after under one week you have run out

Ben
1st June 2005, 02:11 PM
"So after lets say you use the OTV service for 3 hours a day and after under one week you have run out"

Yeah.. but come on.. who's gunna watch TV on their mobile for more than half an hour every single day? I'd be very interested to see if/how Orange enforce the 1GB cap that was suggested in the Press Release - it said nothing about it when I agreed to the subscription.

Jon3G
1st June 2005, 02:20 PM
Some one will lol

Jon3G
2nd June 2005, 02:03 PM
Small review

tested on the Nokia 6680 handset. The handset is a Voda version

Used Realplayer to watch the BB live.

The setting up and starting is pretty simple. You simply follow the links to the stream and if you already have not purchase you purchase. The phone automatically opens up Realplayer and starts to connect. Once connected the video quality is very good, but sometimes the sound is a little in front. If you are walking around it slows down sometimes, but does not buffer that often. This may be down to the signal strengh One thing I liked is it keep the connection open when you went out of 3G coverage and then starts again when I went back into 3G.

I dont know if it does it with other networks, but on Vodafone I have found the handset will go back to 3G once the signal improves in the same way it will go from 3G to 2G.

Ben
2nd June 2005, 02:08 PM
Yes, that is the same as with other networks.

Can you watch the stream on 2G? You can on OTV, it just streams a lower quality version.

I think Vodafone's approach to content is good, almost a happy medium, but it's by no means the best. What is good is that their streams are available on a wider range of phones. Still, I expect Orange had the NSeries in their sights when they decided to go down the Series 60 road.

Jon3G
2nd June 2005, 02:15 PM
No you cant watch the content when in 2G, it just stops. I dont beleive any network as got the best content yet, the only advantage is that Voda CS told me any Voda 3G phone with Video player support will be able to watch the BB live, unlike Orange as yet. But Orange have got a wider range of channels

bangers!
2nd June 2005, 02:35 PM
Hi ben

how do you swap between 2g and 3g when watching the tv? Im on the Orange network.

Thanks, bangers

Ben
2nd June 2005, 03:09 PM
The phone automatically switches modes and OTV's data transfer takes place over whatever connection is available. All you have to do is kick back and watch! :)

Denyo1977
4th June 2005, 02:14 PM
Hi

Hi there. I was just browsing the Vodafone homepage and came across this information:

Costs
The Live Stream will be available by subscribing at a rate of £1 per day, £3 per week or £5 per month. If you subscribe to the Live Stream on a weekly or monthly basis then this will automatically recur unless it is cancelled by you. Subscriptions will end when the current series of the "Big Brother" TV programme ends. You will be reminded that you are subscribed to the Live Stream on a regular basis; to unsubscribe you need to visit "My Account" on the Vodafone Live! menu and go to "My Subscriptions". Alternatively you can call Customer Care on 191.

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/cgi-bin/COUK/portal/ep/browse.do?channelPath=/Vodafone%20Portal/About%20Vodafone/The%20company/Terms%20and%20conditions/Big%20Brother&BV_SessionID=@@@@1142266813.1117890371@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdcaddekjjmkggcflgcegjdgnfdffo.0

So far when I had a look on my mobile it didn't give me the chance to subscribe for a week or a month.

Jon3G
4th June 2005, 02:44 PM
now that is better value for money

Even Orange cant beat that

Denyo1977
4th June 2005, 06:23 PM
Yeah, it would be better value. If you actually would be able to subscribe for a month. Just realised the link didn't work. There's a BB link on the Vodafone site map.

Jon3G
4th June 2005, 07:30 PM
Yeah, it would be better value. If you actually would be able to subscribe for a month. Just realised the link didn't work. There's a BB link on the Vodafone site map.

Cant find on Vodafone live

Denyo1977
5th June 2005, 01:47 PM
Called Vodafone CC today and after 25 minutes the friendly lady had to agree that there is no option to subscribe for a month on Vodafone Live and she will forward the problem.

Jon3G
6th June 2005, 10:55 AM
I did too, I was told that the problem had been report and it would be fixed in the next day or so

Denyo1977
9th June 2005, 08:56 PM
Well, after 4 days and nothing happening I received a text message telling me to call Vodafone. For some reason they wanted to know the exact steps how I tried to access the Big Brother page and they will contact me in the next 72 hours. Is it that hard to understand what the problem is? Will they ever manage to offer the months subscription?

Denyo1977
15th June 2005, 09:26 PM
Just a little update: today I had a message on my mailbox. I was told that they tried to find the subscription link for a week and a month and (oh, what a surprise!) they couldn't find it either. The lady 10 days ago already realised that. What has Vodafone been doing for 10 days. And every time so far they me told it has been forwarded. I bet in the end they will remove the information on the Vodafone homepage about the 1 week and 1 month subscription.

Denyo1977
18th June 2005, 12:25 PM
On Thursday another text message: call Vodafone. I was told it should be working now. And of course it didn't. Called again, was told that it said on their notice board that there are some problems with the Big Brother subscrpition and he couldn't tell me when it will be solved. So after 2 weeks when I told them about the problem it's still not working. I think it's quite appalling.

Ben
18th June 2005, 12:34 PM
Yeah, that is pretty appalling. It's also appalling that I've come to the Midlands only to find out that the local mast where I'm staying has been out of service for weeks - I can't use my Vodafone at all! Grrr!

Meh, anyway, keep the updates coming!

Jon3G
18th June 2005, 03:25 PM
its not worth watching anyway

Denyo1977
21st June 2005, 07:21 PM
It's now possible to subscribe for a month for 5 pounds.

Jon3G
21st June 2005, 11:52 PM
finally Voda sort things out