View Full Version : 3 Unveils Mobile WiFi 3G Router

Ben
5th August 2009, 01:19 PM
Maybe I spoke too soon (https://talk3g.co.uk/blog.php?b=79)!
http://www.trustedreviews.com/networking/news/2009/08/05/3-Unveils-Mobile-WiFi-3G-Router/p1

Remember the 3 mobile broadband WiFi router? Wouldn't it be nice if it didn't require a power socket?

That's what you get with the network's s****y new wireless modem for a service it is dubbing 'Mobile WiFi' or 'MiFi'. Yes, this is another term for consumers to get confused about, but it's actually really straightforward.

In short, MiFi works but using the wireless modem to harness 3's 3G signal to create your own mini WiFi hotspot. From this you can connect numerous devices so, for example, while you're reading a webpage on your laptop/netbook you can be downloading an album on your iPod touch. One data subscription, but multiple products benefiting from it.

Setup in practice should be easy with each device simply asked to input an eight digit network key just once when you connect and it also encourages a communal aspect if your friends turn up (and you don't mind them hogging all your precious bandwidth!).

"There are millions of Wi-Fi devices out there, but they can only be used in fixed locations," said 3's sales and marketing director Marc Allera. "Consumer demand for easy and affordable internet access on the go is growing fast and we're responding to that by announcing the UK's first wireless modem."

The 3 will offer the Mobile WiFi/MiFi service in time for Christmas with pricing coming closer to launch. I've registered a query with 3 regarding the battery life of the router (it's obviously dependent on the number of connected devices, data usage, etc) so hopefully we'll get some feedback on that soon.

Ultimately this is likely to be niche offering, but for those who do need it I suspect it will be a godsend…

gorilla
5th August 2009, 10:30 PM
mifi seems to have gone down well in the states. We will see.

Ben
5th August 2009, 11:10 PM
I really like the idea, I'd be very tempted to get one. Preferably on Vodafone, mind you, but we'll see.

So often you can get better signal by a window or on the other side of the room, but you don't want to have to move your whole self there just because of a stupid dongle.

solo12002
6th August 2009, 07:49 AM
It looks good.

All we need now is UK networks with 3g coverage, other than three, explains why three are the only ones with it.

Funny all the same. Three doing this to allow other ppl to access your 3g signal via WIFi and vodafone proving you with something else just yo get a bloodly phone signal (lol)

miffed
6th August 2009, 08:17 AM
Give 'em a chance - they've barely had 7 years :rolleyes:

kevwright
22nd September 2009, 07:09 PM
Just got one of these, assuming I could use the PAYG SIM that comes with it loaded with 3GB valid for 3 months and then use my 3 contract broadband SIM card with it.

Very early days, but it appears to only work with the SIM it comes with :-(

If this is the case it will likely be going straight back.

Why do they do things like this, its not like I am using another provider, nor did they give it to me free, it is £99

Kev

Hands0n
22nd September 2009, 07:56 PM
@Kev - Three are control freaks. This is, after all, the only mobile network operator in UK history to ever glue a SIM in place on a handset!

kevwright
22nd September 2009, 08:31 PM
Yep, they are, BUT, I think I have to take it back, I am surfing on my 3 Contract SIM, using the new gadget right now!!

The completely stupid thing about it is the signal meter is solid red, telling me I should not even have a 3 signal!!!

It is incredibly slow mind, as you would expect, but I know I only have a very weak 3 signal here.

More later.....

Kev

miffed
22nd September 2009, 08:32 PM
Ah yes ! the c975 :D
To be fair though - they were giving them away though ! (or selling them for less than the price of the included £15 top up !! :D )

3 did some CRAZY deals didn't they :D