View Full Version : Sat Nav on the iPhone

gorilla
7th August 2009, 02:22 PM
You can now get Copilot (http://www.alk.eu.com/copilot/iphone/) for the iPhone priced at £26 for the UK version, which I think is pretty reasonable.

CoPilot Live is the award-winning GPS Sat Nav system that runs on your iPhone, with complete street maps of UK and Ireland and full 7 digit UK postcodes. It's your personal travelling assistant that's always at your side, ready to guide you with turn-by-turn directions and keep you better informed with useful live information about your route.

Key features:

* Full spoken turn-by-turn voice directions
* Detailed street maps of UK and Ireland with full UK post codes stored on your iPhone
* Clear 3D and 2D driving views with SmartZoom™ speed-variable zoom and street names
* Navigate to a house number, street, intersection or address book contact
* Automatic portrait and landscape display switching
* Comprehensive multi-stop pre-trip planning and preview
* Route optimizer works out the best way around multiple stops
* Intelligent navigation provides guidance in tunnels and underpasses
* Automatic day/night mode
* Navigate to thousands of Points of Interest
* Lane indicator & CoPilot ClearTurn™ provides a more realistic view of motorway exits and junctions
* Real Signpost display matches real-life signs
* LiveLink™ location sharing and messaging: keep track of your CoPilot friends, live on-screen!
* Live 5 day weather forecast for your location or destination
* Roadside Assistance helps you contact your breakdown company and tell them your location
* Huge range of customization features to suit the way you travel
* Customized trip status displays, including eta, distance remaining and more
* ... and much more

I generally have used google maps in the past, but this may be a necessary purchase - certainly cheaper than a stand alone device.

What do you reckon?

miffed
7th August 2009, 03:40 PM
Welll I used to use copilot on some older WM devices , and TBH it was pretty good , the next best thing to Tomtom IMO.
Copilot for the iPhone looks pretty good , - the only reason I haven't bough it is because I already shelled out on Navigon & never use it !!
OK If you have a handsfree kit for you iPhone , then it would be fine - but I have found the speaker in the iPhone is simply not up to the job !

kevwright
12th August 2009, 06:26 PM
Got it, bloody good, a lot better than Navigon.

Kev

chagle
12th August 2009, 07:59 PM
I bought it too!

Looks good, but having so much trouble with my GSP in the iPhone. I've reloaded from scratch and find it difficult to get a fix. Even with Maps..

Think I might take it to my local Apple Store as I think it's faulty.

Ben
12th August 2009, 08:41 PM
Let us know how you get on with Apple! Am thinking it may well be a fault, maybe the antenna is loose.

chagle
12th August 2009, 08:51 PM
It's very annoying because of it I can't really test Copilot. Never had any issues with the 3G.. Will be online later for a 'Genius' to have a looksie!

@NickyColman
14th August 2009, 05:18 PM
I bought it and i love it!

Very good and a hell of a lot cheaper than a standard Sat Nav! Just dying to have an excuse to use it!

gorilla
18th August 2009, 10:33 AM
I'm still to invest, but I see Tom Tom is out now. It'll be interesting to see how the comparison reviews get on. Stephen Fry is going to do an article on it.