View Full Version : Nokia teams with Microsoft

3GScottishUser
14th August 2009, 08:29 PM
The E series Nokia range will feature Microsoft Office programs and other MS software from next year (2010).

The move announced this week is intended to take on Blackberry so its probably Outlook that Nokia will want to highlight.

An interesting alliance - will Windows Mobile 6.5 appear on a Nokia handset to counter android?

Hands0n
14th August 2009, 09:10 PM
It may as well now that Nokia appear to have completely lost the smartphone plot.

What, for example, are their intentions with their own Maemo now that they've pretty much signalled the end of Symbian. Then with Maemo it effectively blocks them from going down the Android route. Of course OS X is not even on the agenda.

It feels like Nokia are just about to take a bit of a wander in the wilderness.

chaslam
15th August 2009, 07:57 AM
What, dont you think that could be a good thing? I mean Nokia have been using Symbian for years and years and recently its just not as "smart" as if used to be compared to other OS's like Android or OSX. I think it will be interesting to see what comes up with this. If Nokia can get this right and start moving away from Symbian a little, then surely thats a good thing and gives the consumer another choice rather then just an iphone, a Samsung or a HTC device win WinMo or Android on it.

Its about time Nokia try something new, and even try something that has never really been done before in terms of Maemo. Ive used Maemo pretty extensively and from what ive used its very stable and easy to use, so if its anything like that then it should be great and a refreshing change!

Hands0n
15th August 2009, 12:27 PM
Well, see, that's my point.

Nokia just announce their intention to build upon Maemo, to move away from Symbian, and now out of the blue yet another thread of development.

Perhaps they don't think that yet another smartphone OS is advisable. I'd tend to agree but I wish they'd make their mind up!!

miffed
15th August 2009, 02:38 PM
An interesting alliance - will Windows Mobile 6.5 appear on a Nokia handset to counter android?

Much as I am a Windows Mobile fan , I can't see a WM device being pitched against any of the "new breed" of device (OSX , Android ,Perhaps even Maemo ) At best a switch from Symbian to WM would be a step sideways IMO

miffed
15th August 2009, 02:48 PM

Much as I am a Windows Mobile fan , I can't see a WM device being pitched against any of the "new breed" of device (OSX , Android ,Perhaps even Maemo ) At best a switch from Symbian to WM would be a step sideways IMO

What I can see happening , is that Nokia will shoot themselves in the foot here more than they realise - I can't remember where , but I was reading somewhere that a chinese chipset manufacturer had just perfected a dirt cheap chipset that would support Android , and this would open the floodgates for budget Android handsets.
The way I see it panning out , is the lower end of the market (Nokia's playground) will end up littered with Android based featurephones , and the Smartphone end will be a battlefield between OSX , Android & Maemo (WM either dying in the process , or at the very least new "Zune" esque OS replacing WM )
I think losing sales at the bottom end of the market will hurt Nokia FAR more than the "inconveniece" they are suffering at the moment !