View Full Version : iPhone / IM+ / Googletalk

miffed
15th August 2009, 11:20 AM
I have mentioned on here that I was using this combination on my families iPhones as a "free" unlimited SMS service between us all (we originally used Beejive , but had some problems with reliability etc. - IM+ seemed a bit better

This works quite well , but there is one problem - the connection times out after 12 hours - meaning if anyone in the group doesn't send / receive a message for 12 hours (overnight !) , they become logged out , - so will "miss" any new messages until they sign in. Under the Push settings in IM+ you are able to change the timeout period up to 3 days (which would work well) , but when I change this it appears to change , but next time I look it has reverted to 12 hours again :(

Does anyone know about such things ? - is it likely to be Google dictating the timeout rather than the App itself ? - I am reluctant to go back to Beejive TBH
If it IS at google's end , It would be no big deal to set up a couple of accounts via another IM provider , assuming this 12 hour thing is not something they all do ?

Looked at a few alternatives (ebuddy , yofrog etc. ) but these seem to need their own account , and I can't see the point in complicating things too much

Only becoming an issue now because the wife and I are actually going over our 500 SMS now !! , pre-iphone neither of us would use much more than 100 SMS per month , 200 tops - the bulk of these are among the family , routing all our domestic SMS's this way would definately keep us in bundle save us a few quid !