View Full Version : GPush - Gmail when you get it

gorilla
18th August 2009, 12:50 PM
Ok, so I have installed GPush and it works, but not without bugs. I'd expect this app to improve over time and it may even spur Google into action itself.

For those that don't know what the app does:

GPush is the missing link between GMail and the iPhone.
Instantly receive Gmail new message notifications on the iPhone
Set it and Forget it: All you have to do is download the app and decide how you want to be notified of new email. You never have to open the app again after that.
Improved battery life: GPush uses less battery since it relies on push notifications rather than data fetching ("pulling")
Ability to see emails on the standby screen just like text messages
SSL Security Certificate used to ensure password security for GPush users

There's not a lot that can be said against an app that cost £0.59, ok it's not free and it's unreliable (for me anyway), but I believe that this app will improve. I'll be interested to see how the battery life copes in comparison to fetch.

There is a support site here: http://tiveriasapps.com/support.php

gorilla
18th August 2009, 01:41 PM
I should have clarified a little on what bugs I'm experiencing!

The badge count doesn't seem to reset after you read email;
Most of the time GPush notifies you of new email;
I can't seem to get GPush to respond to changes in the settings > notifications >GPush

Other than that it seems ok. I'm not going to get carried away, this is after all just an alert system letting you know that you have email.

a_ukboy
18th August 2009, 05:20 PM
I have this app too, only got it this lunchtime and so far its not notified me of 6 new emails i've recieved... LOL

miffed
18th August 2009, 07:28 PM
This really is an awful app , or at least my experience of it is.

On install , I went through a cycle of Enter details >>Allow notifications >> Allow location (I think) >> Successful >> Enter details >> Allow notifications >> Allow location >> Successful >> Enter details ......... (and so on )
Then , it all seemed OK , and When I opened the mail app , it "reported" the two unread mails I had , - About an hour later , Mail performed its timed fetch and reported one mail , as I closed it (after reading the mail) , this ingenious app reported it (well , the icon showed a "1" badge , no pop up or anything
Been a 100% fail rate for me ! , if it ever works , it'll be great , but so far I have not had a sniff of anything worthwhile !

miffed
18th August 2009, 07:39 PM
OK !
Literally seconds after making that post I got my first bit of push notification from Gpush , I thought it was an SMS , arriving with the standard 3 chime SMS tone - But it read GPush , followed by a load if random characters ! - Turns out I did have a mail , but the Gpush notification didn't give me the remotest clue as to what it was - I suppose it alerted me to a mails presence , which is what is needed, but a preview would have been nice !

gorilla
18th August 2009, 07:56 PM
Ha Ha, yeah I've been finding similar results, although, I have been getting very little email today so that might explain why 'push' isn't working :)

miffed
18th August 2009, 08:24 PM
( I should add that I installed the app at around 10am this morning)

Nah , its pretty clear to me that it doesn't work , I have had around 20 mails , and all but one of these were picked up by Mails regular fetch (and then show up on the Gpush badge afterwards :D )

Interestingly though , I have had trouble with G talk today too (on my iphone , the wife's iphone , the HTC magic and on the computer - so maybe the problems are googles end ?

miffed
18th August 2009, 08:34 PM
LOL@ these "realtime" updates :D

Just worked normally ! , just got a notification on the iphone , all readable , and just as the mail hits my inbox .
Lets hope it was just teething troubles !

gorilla
19th August 2009, 10:18 AM
It's not working for me now! They're servers must be overloaded or something. It did work during last night however, when I was asleep!

gorilla
20th August 2009, 11:39 AM
Update: this is the worst app ever! It quite simply does not work. Am I the only one?

They do seem to be working hard to fix the issues, but at this rate they should have tested their betas for longer.

Ben
20th August 2009, 12:37 PM
Sounds like a pretty epic fail to me, the app has a pretty simple and specific application. :(

a_ukboy
20th August 2009, 06:19 PM
Update: this is the worst app ever! It quite simply does not work. Am I the only one?

They do seem to be working hard to fix the issues, but at this rate they should have tested their betas for longer.

No you're not the only one, it's worked for me once only!!

miffed
20th August 2009, 06:30 PM
Agree totally ! Awful app :(

Probably a 90%+ fail rate here - we are not just talking about "quirky" behaviour either , as said mast of the time the app does absolutely nothing at all !

Hands0n
20th August 2009, 07:20 PM
It can't be at Google's end - my HTC Magic consistently receives pushed email from the Google mail servers. If I send a mail to me from another address it comes up on the Magic within seconds, as fast as MobileMe - if not faster than.

gorilla
20th August 2009, 09:41 PM
Ok, it seems fixed now as emails are coming through thick and fast, maybe to fast!
They were fixing the problem at their end so hopefully that's it resolved. How is it for you guys?

miffed
20th August 2009, 09:54 PM
Start/stop for me , but mostly stop ! ...last night it missed about 8 mails , then reported one FOUR times over an hour or so , I then went to bed and the same mail had been reported again overnight .
Today had 18 mails , but Gpush has only reported 1

I have pretty much given up on it !

kevwright
1st September 2009, 09:22 AM
Guys, am I missing something here? I have Push on in my iPhone and gmail set to 15 mins and I get very regular email, my warning tone is a clear loud spoken "you have new mail" (and I have "you have new message" for SMS)

Is this app all about getting the email (possibly) a maximum of 14 mins earlier?

Kev

Ben
1st September 2009, 10:06 AM
Indeed it is Kev. Doesn't sound like much I know, but 'immediate' email makes it infinitely more useful as a conversational messaging tool, a free and rich version of SMS.

Personally, I use MobileMe.

kevwright
1st September 2009, 10:49 AM
I was in Mobileme on the startup, remember that nightmare?

Got multiple free extensions though, and might go back one day, it was good after a few weeks.

Only thing is, right now, google Calendar, Contacts and Mail is so bloody useful across a range of kit, all my data is up to date on my home Macbook, two home netbook, work PC via the web, its all so easy to manage.

Not sure Mobileme adds much, although I did love the cloud storage, somehow, all the other services I have tried have been less useful.

Kev

Hands0n
1st September 2009, 11:54 PM
I was in Mobileme on the startup, remember that nightmare?

I recall it well :)

But now MobileMe has rapidly matured into a full-featured product that pretty much does what it says on the tin. The full synch and Push across Mac and iPhone has to be seen to be believed. It is completely seamless and, these days, works flawlessly.

That said - the Google Android scene is very similar - although not quite as capable in terms of the little things such as sync of browser bookmarks across the entire owner's realestate (PC/Mac and Android handset). But what it does it also does seamlessly and mostly flawlessly.

Push eMail, as Ben says, is a great replacement for SMS/MMS and without any of the limitations of the latter two. One has to hope that eventually such Push email will be come the norm and we'll no longer even recall the original mobile messaging technologies that came out of severely bound devices.

But until that sunny day :D we'll no doubt have to use a portfolio of product. Apple, at least, are able to show how it should/could be done. Google are close on their heels.

gorilla
2nd September 2009, 01:37 PM
Just to update the thread on GPush - it now works very well for me and I've had no problems since the well documented ones at launch.

One has to wonder why there is still no official 'push' from google, given that contacts and calendar push works so well.