View Full Version : Top 3 phones of all time !

miffed
24th August 2009, 07:31 PM
Just thought this would be an interesting one - now , the obvious choice is the iPhone , but lets try and make it a little more interesting

What are your favourite mobile phones of all time ? Which devices (for you ) were the most groundbreaking , eye opening , awesomely head and shoulders above everything else at the time ?

Here are mine

First place is no surprise , and hardly needs mentioning - The iPhone (2007) truly is a marvel , but that is all pretty fresh in our minds , so no need to go over it all again !

In second place... The HTC Universal (2005) (or XDA Exec as it was ) - This was the first 3G Windows mobile device , and the first WM device with a decent keyboard - which is still pretty good compared to some of the keyboards around today ! WM5 was my platform of choice at the time , and this device certainly didn't dissappoint me,
The nice big , bright screen , keybard & 3G really did give a taste of the UMPC , and it was quite usable as a phone. I loved it !

....And in third place ... The Nokia 9110i (1999/2000) This to me , was the first phone to make me sit up and take note that a phone could be so much more !! , OK so it only had crappy 9.6kbps dial up , and a black and white screen , but this was so much more than just a phone !! , it gave me email , internet , fax , a computer in the palm of my hand , at a time when mobile phones were simply phones ! - this was the iPhone of the time , but the thing was ......nobody cared :D

Whats your top 3 ?

chagle
24th August 2009, 07:40 PM
I guess 2nd place for me (as I didn't know better) was the N73. Only because it was my 1st 3G experience and the handset could check email, chat on MSN and I could install apps..

But of course 1st place -- The iPhone 3GS! All of the above and beyond! :-)

Ben
24th August 2009, 09:20 PM
Hmm =D

Well in first place it's the iPhone. Again, I'm not going to go into all that.

Second, well, the Nokia 6680 was revolutionary. I remember taking videos with it at a party and everyone was blown away. Plus it was just such a fantastic phone with a great keypad and was the first Nokia 3G with a forward-facing video camera. I loved that phone. Unfortunately the software became very slow after heavy use, especially with the number of texts I had stored, and there were bugs. Updates only sounded the death knell.

Third is a bit of a toss-up. I loved my Z1010, and even my T610 come to think of it, and I worshipped my e606 for all of 5 seconds. But one of my favourite phones was the tiny Nokia 8310 with the blue-white backlit display and keys. It was just such a nice handset, worked brilliantly and, well, it had GPRS and at the time Orange had a pretty great WAP portal that would keep me entertained while eating out... alone =D Oh and I used to use the infra-red to get data on my laptop, I thought it was incredible!

gorilla
24th August 2009, 09:35 PM
Not including the iPhone: N95; 6680 and the 8210.

Despite contrary reviews the N95 was a firm favourite of mine and did a lot more for me than the iPhone. You just had more freedom with it. Yes it was slow, but it worked very well.

The 6680 was on three and was my first 3g phone and I think my introduction to this forum. I loved it and had a reasonable experience on three. S60 in those days was pretty much the same as today :p and I remember using the same apps on many phones.
The 6680 was a beast of a phone though, but it still made it through a couple of days without a charge. I remember watching cricket on it (via vodafone) one summer at work :eek: whatever happened mobile tv?

I remember when mobile phones getting smaller was all the rage and the 8210 came out. It had great form, but little functionality, lasted for days and was the first phone (I think) that you could stand on its end, get someone to ring it and watch as it spun around! I'm getting all nostalgic now.

I had a motorola flip phone that was pretty cool, it had a great tetris game, but it had a massive aerial and therefore missed out.
I also had a NEC phone from circa 1998 that fell into a toilet, fully submerged, but dried out and worked again. I couldn't let a NEC phone into my top 3 however!

Hands0n
25th August 2009, 12:20 AM
Ah, but miffed didn't say anything about these having to be 3G phones. No? And so my list, given my vintage, goes back a bit further perhaps.

Leaving aside the iPhone (all three of them) I venture to offer the following candidates ...

Nokia N95 - I loved it, I hated it. The promise was so very long, the delivery so very short until Symbian v.12 arrived. Even then it managed to niggle me. But I ended up with two of the damn things, one each on T-Mobile and [a crippled one] on Vodafone. But they held out so much promise, and delivered some of it. I was kept reasonably happy for a while.

Nokia 6680 - lordy I wanted one of these so badly, but was tied into a contract with 3 and a nasty Motorola E1000. It looked good on paper! But when I finally managed to get a 6680 on eBay I thought my life was complete :D The dream soured a little at the hands of an early Symbian OS. The hardware was great, and did an awful lot.

Sony Ericsson T610 - I still have it, almost mint condition, and working a treat if called into use. This was iconic in its day, and still manages to draw an admiring stare. The T610 was probably everything anyone could want in a handset in its day. A reasonable camera, decent enough colour screen, tiny and absolutely gorgeous to behold. The T610 was simply superb. Every time I come across it in my posessions it gives me one of those back to the future moments :)

Ben
25th August 2009, 03:54 PM
Glad to see the 6680 getting some mentions. That thing really was iconic of the time. If anything, it was S60/Symbian at something of a peak. I, too, remember watching mobile TV on it via Vodafone's service and being pretty impressed. Alas, it didn't catch on.

T610 was gorgeous, wasn't it Hands0n? A very tactile phone if ever there was one. I only bought it for the BT so I could hook up my iPAQ H5450 (and later H5550) but quickly fell in love. Still, I don't remember having it for too long. =D

miffed
25th August 2009, 04:26 PM
Was the 6680 really that groundbreaking though ? wasn't it simply a sensibly shaped version of the 6630 , with a front facing camera and slightly tinkered OS ?

hecatae
26th August 2009, 08:59 AM
8210 as described above

T68 as it was revolutionary

6680 sits in between the 6630 and N70, 6630 showed what a 3g device should be capable, bye bye motorola and nec, n70 perfected the form

Hands0n
26th August 2009, 11:52 PM
LOL, I still have a T68 in my "box of phones" - A gold one , it is, and very pretty too :)

@NickyColman
30th August 2009, 09:44 AM
What a tough question!! 3 handset you say. . . hmmm. . .

First on the list (in chronological order) would have to be;

Sony Ericsson T300

My god!! By todays standards it looks like a Fisher Price interpretation of a mobile.

Anyway! It was fantastic. My first Sony Ericsson and more importantly MY FIRST CAMERA PHONE!! It came with a HORRID clip-on camera that allowed you to take something that passed for a picture and send it to a friend.

It took 5 minutes for the device to actually hook up to O2's data network and actually send. During this time you couldn't do anything but listen to the interference on every speaker within a 10ft radius lol. Then you would spend days waiting for it to make an appearance on the receivers handset!

But despite its size and looks it helped start off the camera phone revolution!

Samsung V200

This handset was the bee's knees for me. My first flip phone too. It had it all, sexy/futurist body, crisp colour screen that jumped right out at you, the hinge that concealed a camera - everything you could want.

But what I loved more than that, more than anything else, was the sounds the device used!! I loved the SMS tones! No other phone since has ever compared :( I have tried to find my beloved text/ring tones but they are no where to be found.

The phone ended up eventually being replaced by a Sony Ericsson T610 after a few weeks due to it constantly resetting.

RIP V200.

Las but not least. . .

Nokia 3660

This phone has got to be close to my most favourite phone EVER. The phone itself was the "normal" version of the 3650 (you know, the one with the keypad). It had a great colour screen, a really good camera, it was Symbian when Symbian was good and it had Xpress On covers!!

The phone was big and bold! I loved the reaction i got from people when they saw me carrying it! It was like holding a glimpse of the future from Japan!

Eventually, I replaced it with an LG U8110 when I made the jump to Three. Ahh...

3GScottishUser
2nd September 2009, 09:33 PM
Within this group the Nokia 3210/3310 must feature.

It was groundbreaking in its day as it was slim, compact and I still know folks who are using them now 10+ years after they were current models. One has to wonder if the likes of the LG Cookie and the Samsung Tocco of today will still be used in 2019.

What about the NEC range of 3G handsets? The delightful e606, e313 and the other initial 3G offerings from Motorola A830, A835 and Nokia 7600 etc :D

Hands0n
2nd September 2009, 09:35 PM
I still have a Nokia 3310 in its box - quite a bit tatty, but near-indestructible. Yes, I concur with you sir :)

miffed
3rd September 2009, 08:07 AM
What about the NEC range of 3G handsets? The delightful e606, e313 and the other initial 3G offerings from Motorola A830, A835 and Nokia 7600 etc :D

Hmm , perhaps we should start nother thread for the worst three handsets of all time ?:D

hecatae
3rd September 2009, 09:11 AM
I still have a Nokia 1100, might see about using it for a couple of days

Hands0n
3rd September 2009, 09:39 PM
Hmm , perhaps we should start nother thread for the worst three handsets of all time ?:D

Ooooh, excellent idea - there's nothing like a bit of contrast to get the juices flowing ... :D

Ben
28th October 2009, 01:28 PM
IpHone, Nokia e71 and sony ericsson...my fave phones
What's your favourite SE, aopchick21? Mine would have to be the Z1010, even thought it was a MASSIVE disappointment.

Biohead12
28th October 2009, 02:53 PM
Iphone (3G) - Obvious reasons really. Its the the only phone I've had I'm happy to use after 18 months, and keep on using it. I think the 3G brought the neccessary features that the 2G didnt have.

Motorola A925 - This phone was a downright legend! The first (It IS the A920 in a new shell!!!) 3G smartphone, and it played Sega Megadrive games! the 925 looked much better than the 920 (imo) and had the BT and IR enabled. Plus if you ever needed a replacement house brick, doubled as one perfectly!

Motorola V3 - I only ever owned the V3x model, but from the amount of people who had the original V3 it wasn't hard to discover just how popular it was. I think its price point AND design were just right. Shame it was pretty much the last popular moto phone.