View Full Version : Which new phone?

Ben
2nd September 2009, 09:44 AM
I'm looking for a new Vodafone handset to upgrade to, my N95 8GB is just too bulky as a second phone.

(Am resorting to a second phone due to O2 signal being so awful at my new house.)

Anyone got any suggestions for a compact, capable phone? The Nokia E66 looks OK, but I know nothing about it. I know nothing about anything anymore! ;) Just want something with great battery life, great reception, and preferably some sort of Mac sync-ability.

Nothing NSeries, it's all a steaming pile of consumer poo.

miffed
2nd September 2009, 09:57 AM
Always liked the E71 , and the E55 looks pretty nice , as "pre-smart" smartphones go.

Ben
2nd September 2009, 10:21 AM
Hmm good suggestions. Think I'd lean towards the E71 as the E55 has one of those funny keyboards. May be a little on the large side, though :/ Tough one!

miffed
2nd September 2009, 10:44 AM
Doesn't look like Vodafone carry the E55 though , it does have an appeal though , I would be very tempted to give one a go if I were looking for that sort of device
.....So you are not tempted by the natural upgrade to your N958GB, the N97 then ? ;)
My mate recently picked up a ....... Tocco Ultra !! , and is actually really pleased with it , (surprisingly ?)

Ben
2nd September 2009, 11:29 AM
See I'm totally up for a Samsung, they seem to make really nice phones these days though I have no proper experience of owning one. Definitely wouldn't be interested in Windows Mobile, and TBH I'd rather have Android than Symbian given that even Nokia has indicated the future is Maemo. That said, Symbian works, I've heard it's very good on the Sammys.

I have no idea what I want.

Edit: That's a lie, I just want O2 to be good.

miffed
2nd September 2009, 01:32 PM
When he mentioned he had been bidding £200+ on Tocco Ultra's on ebay , I did a quick search (why he hadn't done this I'll never know !! :D ) and found they could be had for £199 (+£10 top up) from CPW , he jumped at it !
I admit the phone does look pretty nice from the photos , and if you are into that kind of thing (i.e. you think an infinate number of Megapixels will make you happy) then it is a pretty good deal !
I must admit I am tempted to have a bit of a go myself at that price , just to see how the AMOLED thing goes , and refresh myself with what else is out there. after all , I don't want to becomes so blinkered by the iPhone that I am not aware when something better appears !

gorilla
2nd September 2009, 01:44 PM
you could always jailbreak and slip in your vodafone sim. :eek:

I'll be trying that tonight ;) albeit with a 3 sim that finally arrived in the post.

Hands0n
2nd September 2009, 07:54 PM
Tough call Ben, especially as Vodafone seem to be carrying quite a narrow range these days! I just had a quick peek at their website and the selection is boring beyond belief!

Given your criteria, especially battery life, I'd say that 3G may not suit you :eek: And certainly that rules out the HTC Magic and the Google Android experience.

Tough call mate

Ben
2nd September 2009, 08:11 PM
Very tough! The Vodafone selection is awful. And yeah, I'm thinking I may need to switch 3G off on whatever I do get, give the battery the best chance poss.