View Full Version : o2 Contract coming to and end, whats next?

a_ukboy
4th September 2009, 05:35 PM
Ok, so i have the iphone 3GS and my contract's up end of Dec so whats next, ideally i want to leave o2 just because IMHO its the shoddiest network i have come accross, and i've been with 3... :eek:
I'm basically fed up with no service, specially at my place of work which is only in Surrey, no service within 4 miles of my work place with the nearest transmitter which is 9 miles away :eek::eek::eek: constant call fails, many voicemails when the phones on and the worst data network i have ever used, mine vertually never works, and i live in London!! Oh yes and people hardly ever getting my MMS...

I've spoke to o2 who are unwilling to unlock my phone?? :mad: Spoke to Apple and they told me to go and get it unlocked at a shop?? they say this WON'T invalidate my warrenty??? So why won't you unlock my iphone o2???

Where do i go next? Looking at sim only deals as i want to stay using my iphone..

To me T-Mobile looks the best bet with lots of mins, texts and data for the cheapest amount? BUT there 3G coverage looks as poor as o2's???

Ideally Three looks the best for 3G Coverage but they're sim only deal is pants!!

Orange looks appealing with good 3G coverage, but not good data allowances!!

Vodafone, overall not to bad, but again at my work they're coverage is poor, better then o2's non existent though, best coverage there is 3, Orange and T-Mobile!!

3GScottishUser
4th September 2009, 08:14 PM
3 and T-Mobile's coverage will probably be the same as both are now consolodating their 3G networks. The same applies to 02 and Vodafone as they have started the same process. Orange is currently the only network without a sharing agreement but that might be a negative as you move around your area and the rest of the country.

3G is now pretty commonplace in the UK and consolodation of cell sites will make availabilty even better so have a think about what networks have the biggest coverage and that is likely to deliver the best option if you travel around and want to use 3G facilities.

Ben
4th September 2009, 11:22 PM
Vodafone are still my number 1 network of choice. They're awesome. O2 is sinking fast in my ratings at the moment, moving to an area with zero O2 coverage and no option of a femtocell isn't helping.

I know you're in a different situation in NI though, so go with what works well for you. I'd never recommend 3, though, despite having a dongle with them now.

miffed
5th September 2009, 08:48 AM
I have learned over the years , that these things are VERY dependent on your location(s) , I'd rank the Networks (in terms of Coverage tat is useful to me)

O2 (=1)
Three (=1)
T-mobile(=1)
Vodafone (2)
Orange ( no personal experience , but at work I am always hearing people moan about it ! ) (3)

The three I have put joint first all seem to have decent coverage pretty much every time I call upon them. but others may find their services woeful
With PAYG sims so freely available now , its worth picking up one from any networks you are interested in , sticking it in an old handset and carrying it around for a few days , just to see what the signal meter does before commiting to anyone.