View Full Version : iphone: 3Gs or just 3G?

chaslam
9th September 2009, 10:29 PM
Well im Kind of toying on the idea of getting an iphone after my friend is in the market for one. Im just thinking, should I go with a standard 3G, or is it really worth the extra money to go for a 3GS? I have never used a 3GS, but is it really worth the extra £200-300 I would be paying for it?

I want to see what all the fuss about these iphones are and see if I actually get on with one.

chaslam
9th September 2009, 11:50 PM
Also, I will be unlocking it. Does anyone have any advice while doing so? Is there anyway to do so without jail breaking it?

Ben
10th September 2009, 12:11 AM
The 3GS really is worth it over the 3G. I still use my 3G sometimes, it's quite a lot slower and the transitions are more jumpy.

If you've never owned an iPhone then you might not notice, but do yourself a favour and spend the extra on the 3GS - apps are only going to get more demanding and you'll kick yourself if you didn't buy the latest hardware to run them on.

No help on unlocking from me, I'm afraid. I suffer O2 like a true Mactard.

miffed
10th September 2009, 09:49 AM
3GS all the way , the only way I'd say go 3G is if you can pick up one for peanuts , I certainly wouldn't pay "new" price for a 3G or take out a contract with one . Not that the 3G isn't a great phone !! , but , the difference to buy (PAYG) is £100 (16gb) or £200 (32gb) - If , before I bought my 3GS , someone offered me a 3GS for my 3G + £1-200 , I'd definately have taken them up on it .

The Speed is VERY noticable , and the improvements on the Camera are great if you are into that kind of thing - The video is great quality. I reckon if you bought a 3G , within months you'd want a 3GS.

Hands0n
10th September 2009, 01:20 PM
Also, I will be unlocking it. Does anyone have any advice while doing so? Is there anyway to do so without jail breaking it?

Yup :) Read the iPhone unlock tutorials on iClarified. They are there for Mac and Windows users with hot links to all the resources you will need to download.

Jailbreak is needed to perform the unlock so far. But it does not interfere with "normal" iPhone function and use.

gorilla
11th September 2009, 10:20 AM
Another vote for 3GS. It's a better handset full stop!