View Full Version : Vodafone's Access Gateway denies access

Ben
11th September 2009, 04:46 PM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/11/vodafone_access_gateway/

Vodafone's femtocell deployment, termed the Access Gateway, has been plagued with issues prompting users to think fondly of the days when they had no coverage at all.

The Access Gateway is a 3G cell which plugs into the punter's broadband connection and provides 3G coverage for voice and data. At least, it does when it's working; but Vodafone can't seem to keep its service operational for more than a day or two before the system exhibits the kind of faults not seen since the days of analogue mobile phones.

Most disconcerting of these was yesterday's outage which resulted in callers being heard clearly, but those called being unable to make themselves heard at all. On that occasion at least those called were aware that a problem existed - previous faults have resulted in calls simply not arriving at all despite apparently solid connections.

Vodafone has sent text messages to users apologising for the problems, and on Wednesday sent out an alert that all the Access Gateways would be reprogrammed overnight. Still, at the time of writing (Friday) the service remains offline, and those who've stumped up £160 remain disconnected.

And that's the problem. There can't be many people using femtocells in the UK - the Vodafone Access Gateway is the first to be made available - but those few are early adopters who have been prepared to shell out their own money to get network coverage, which is now being denied. The concern is that these problems will reflect on the whole concept of femtocells, or at least that Vodafone is charging punters to take part in an extended trial of the technology which isn't going terribly well.
Not good! I still haven't tried mine yet on account of the ADSL at my new place not even scratching a meg. I'm up to 700k and still trying lol. But yeah, by the sound of it, right now, I'm better off without anyway!

Hands0n
12th September 2009, 12:22 AM
Ah, you'll be under their initial DLM then :-) Usually takes 10 days to cycle through

miffed
12th September 2009, 09:56 AM
LOL !

Is this like The Emperors New Clothes or something ?

Perhaps Vodafone can sell their customers a solution to this problem ?

So lets get this all straight

* Vodafone provide crap coverage

* To have a hope in hell of using your phone (i.e. to enable you to BUY from Vodafone ) you have to buy a piece of hardware , pay line rental on it (again) , then , at no charge to Vodafone , you route THEIR traffic down the BB line YOU pay for ???

* It still doesn't work ?

Vodafone customers - one every minute eh ? :D

Hands0n
12th September 2009, 11:04 AM
@miffed - that would appear to be a fair summation of the current situation with Vodfone.

What a shambolic state of affairs for a world-class Mobile Network Operator to find themselves in. And through no fault of anyone other than themselves.

I remain completely unconvinced that MNOs are capable of running IP networks. They can't even get DNS right, especially in the case of Vodfone (and 3UK). So what [real] hope is there that they would be able to handle what is essentially a 3G repeater with an IP backhaul into their network.

What they need is to employ a set of IP networkers, not upgraded voice engineers. Having worked across and experienced early voice technologies, IP networks and the evolution of the convergence of all things into IP I do wonder if this is one very fundamental trick that the MNOs have missed.

I'll have a femtocell when it is given to me because the MNO cannot provide adequate coverage in my home area. That means O2, because they're the single operator that has no 3G coverage anywhere west of where I live despite their ridiculous claims on their coverage maps.

miffed
12th September 2009, 11:41 AM
I'll have a femtocell when it is given to me because the MNO cannot provide adequate coverage in my home area. That means O2, because they're the single operator that has no 3G coverage anywhere west of where I live despite their ridiculous claims on their coverage maps.

Now THAT would be a good idea ! (Seriously !)

Imagine that ? You complain that your coverage is poor - and the Network respond by giving you GUARANTEED coverage ? (Subject to a decent spend , obviously )
That would be a great gesture and arguably the way forward for a true "premium" network !!

Ben
12th September 2009, 08:34 PM
I completely agree, the networks should be using Femtocells where customers report bad coverage in order to vastly improve the quality of service they're able to offer.