View Full Version : My O2 iPhone App

getti
15th September 2009, 02:40 PM
Free app allows customers to view their account from their handset

O2 has today announced My O2 for iPhone, an app designed to help make viewing the amount customers spend on their phones even easier. The app is now available as a free download on the Apple App Store.

The My O2 section of O2’s website gives comprehensive information on every part of a customer’s account and could already be accessed via SMS and online, however the new My O2 app takes this information and makes it available in a way specifically tailored for the iPhone.

Using the My O2 app, both O2 Pay & Go and Pay Monthly iPhone customers will be able to securely see their tariff details, a summary of their inclusive allowance and how much remains, their latest bill and any Bolt Ons on their account.

“Our customers want to stay in control of how much they spend whenever they like. The My O2 iPhone app allows them to do this with the minimum of fuss,” said Sally Cowdry, Marketing Director for O2. “We wanted to make this information as easy to view as possible. This is all part of our commitment to a great customer experience and we’ll be looking at rolling this out to other phones in the near future.”

The My iPhone app has been created together with Mobile Interactive Group (MIG). Ben Cusack, Group Creative Director at MIG said, “The My O2 application allows the iPhone customer base to benefit from having details of their account on their handset. To enable ease of integration, MIG designed the app so it can easily be rolled out to other smart phone devices or incorporate additional features in the future.”

Can be downloaded from http://bit.ly/my_o2

miffed
15th September 2009, 03:27 PM
Server Error 500
Please try later ...

Will be good if I get it working ! , and not before time either !

@NickyColman
15th September 2009, 05:21 PM
Mine works great! Setup was a doddle!

About time though! Only took, what, 18 months?

chagle
15th September 2009, 06:43 PM
I use Allowance or whatever it's called - But I like the idea of an O2 version. Just got my iPhone replaced my 3GS totally died!

Just restoring from a backup now!

Hands0n
15th September 2009, 06:50 PM
Free app allows customers to view their account from their handset

Okay, who are you and what have you done with Getti's body? :D

getti
15th September 2009, 09:00 PM
I get the press releases still from O2 and this came through today. Thought it was a big thing for iPhone users so thought I would post it.

Getti is safe and sound and will be returned back home tonight

Hands0n
15th September 2009, 10:17 PM
Interesting comment from O2 that the app will roll out to other phones in the future. My money is on the Pre and any Androids. It can't be difficult for MIG to port the app over.

The information on My O2 is among the best in industry. I do like that it contains the contract expiry date. That must drive down the number of calls into their call centres.

The app loaded as flawlessly as any iPhone app. It worked first time and gave me all the info I wanted to see, even my recent holiday usage charges. Nice.

I think O2 did well to go to MIG for the rather than try and do it themselves. The polish of an experienced iPhone app developer is very evident.

getti
15th September 2009, 10:19 PM
I text a friend over on What Mobile who has an iPhone tonight and told him about it, he has installed and says its a very good app.

Who would have thought, I am telling everyone about this iPhone app and I dont have an iphone..........................yet

3g-g
15th September 2009, 10:37 PM
I text a friend over on What Mobile who has an iPhone tonight and told him about it, he has installed and says its a very good app.

Who would have thought, I am telling everyone about this iPhone app and I dont have an iphone..........................yet

I'll believe it when I see it!

getti
15th September 2009, 10:50 PM
I will admit i came VERY close to getting one a few days back... even sent Ben a text saying what a shock it would be.

CPW, Apple and O2 had no PAYG ones in stock in white (O2 and CPW had none period) else i am sure i would have an iPhone sitting on my desk.

As time is going on I find my resistance to getting one wearing out. Plus the fact Christian who does World Of Nokia with me (chaslam) just bought an iPhone 3G and keeps saying it's really nice so I now have someone on my own team (Nokia) saying the iPhone is nice :D

Hands0n
15th September 2009, 11:44 PM
I will admit i came VERY close to getting one a few days back...

I suspect that your assimilation is inevitable. Resistance is futile. :p

I think it has all be said before, endlessly, that it is not the iPhone itself per se, but the overall experience that is quite so compelling. Even my HTC Magic (Android), although it comes darned close, is not of the same quality of experience.

The new O2 app is going to be a handy tool for those who frequently run close to, or go over, their paid-for allowances.

Ben
16th September 2009, 12:49 AM
Will definitely try this now there's an official app. Oh how joyful it would be if the mobile operators took to creating apps rather than branding whole OSs!

miffed
16th September 2009, 07:16 AM
Still cannot connect :(

Error 500 , error 460, server error , network error - tried rebooting , reinstalling , no joy
I know my login details are correct as I regularly use them to log in manually.
The only thing I can think of , is that the fact I have two iPhone accounts on the same account , this may be causing trouble ? , but TBH the mobile allowance app was smart enough to ask me which one I wanted , so o2's own app should be too !
Bizarre that this should work for everyone else and not me :confused::mad:

Hands0n
16th September 2009, 07:28 AM
LOL @ miffed :D You ever thought of taking a job as a software tester?

I have two O2 numbers on my account. It only picked up the iPhone number that is currently switched to. Try going in via web and switching between your two numbers, finishing off with the iPhone number.

Although it does sound more like a comms issue. That 500 error suggests service not available - ie. the server is there, answering the http call but the service (app) is not responding.

The 460 error is altogether more serious. It suggests a bug in either the server, client app or both.

Very odd that an individual client (you) should experience this. These errors, when they occur, are universal :eek:

NB: Just tried it a second ago - got in first attempt. Very odd situation you're seeing.

PS: A handy resource to bookmark for anyone wondering what those pesky HTTP errors mean is here --> http://www.checkupdown.com/status/error1.html

miffed
16th September 2009, 08:52 AM
It is usually 500 , 460 was once

Latest was

Error -- Network unavailable , please try again later .... But safari works fine , as do all other internet apps (mail / appstore etc)

How bizarre !

Ben
16th September 2009, 10:32 AM
Done, easy, looks pretty nice to be honest and does the basics well.

gorilla
16th September 2009, 12:51 PM
I tried it last night and it didn't work. It does now! It's a nice app and one I'll probably use every now and again. My contract runs until 10.01.10 :(

Ben
16th September 2009, 12:53 PM
Mine too, gorilla. Rubbish isn't it! And to think I've already paid full-whack for an upgrade and I'm still in commitment from the first handset, lol.

Will be useful for keeping an eye on when I'm running out of texts so I can switch over to FishText (http://www.fishtext.com) quicker!

miffed
16th September 2009, 07:02 PM
Still not working ! , I have tried countless times and now I simply get the " "Network Unavailable" error , when the network blatantly IS available !

A quick Google search shows I am not alone , but seemingly in a minority

As yet I have not had a single successful log-in :(

3g-g
16th September 2009, 11:04 PM
Still not working ! , I have tried countless times and now I simply get the " "Network Unavailable" error , when the network blatantly IS available !

A quick Google search shows I am not alone , but seemingly in a minority

As yet I have not had a single successful log-in :(

Same for me miffed, not one login yet, and I'm getting the exact same errors as yourself. I know the login details are correct from the website, and I only have one O2 account...

If it continues the app is going to get a wobbly screen and no stars! (you iPhoners know what I mean!)

Heidi
17th September 2009, 12:41 AM
All is fine here
Just downloaded it tonight and logged in within seconds :)

lol :O nearly used all my texts already

*hugs* Fishtext

gorilla
17th September 2009, 01:31 PM
Still not working ! , I have tried countless times and now I simply get the " "Network Unavailable" error , when the network blatantly IS available !(

Are you using wifi? I can't login over wifi, but can over 3G.

Hands0n
17th September 2009, 02:06 PM
Are you using wifi? I can't login over wifi, but can over 3G.

Weirder and weirder. I can log in across both WiFi and 3G (actually, 2G seeing as 3G is non-existent here at home) :)

3g-g
17th September 2009, 09:11 PM
Right, I've got it working over cellular... but not over WiFi... what gives?! Everything else on the iPhone works over WiFi... *confused*