View Full Version : Open WAP comes to Three?

Ben
2nd June 2005, 06:32 PM
Taken from the mblox newsletter:

"3 Subscribers Can Now Access WAP Services

3 UK has recently launched its WAP/xhtml converter which enables content providers to offer mediarich, WAP content to 3 customers. Content providers can now reach the entire UK mobile subscriber base with premium content. 3 UK has more than 2.5 million subscribers, which is 5% of the total UK market. They are considered to be the most mobile savvy in this marketplace. Clients can simply start sending WAP-URLs as an MT message (premium or non-premium) to their customers and efficiently add revenue to their bottom line."

I... don't believe it. I'm trying to get my e606 to charge so I can try for myself, but I just can't see it happening myself!

Edit: Apparently it still doesn't work ;)

miffed
2nd June 2005, 06:47 PM
Bah ! thats the trouble with Three .....

It may well be enabled , just not working ! who can tell ?

Hypnotic
2nd June 2005, 06:57 PM
Phone 3 and ask...
I even phoned them yesterday and asked if they enabled GPRS on their accounts. They said no :mad:

Ben
2nd June 2005, 07:23 PM
Phone 3 and ask...
LOL!! Pull the other one!

I'm interested to see how this develops. If companies are making announcements like this then there must be something going on... but what exactly is another matter altogether. Perhaps questions best fielded to Three's media relations department - might give them a tinkle tomorrow.

3GScottishUser
2nd June 2005, 07:26 PM
This is nothing more than a 'Walled garden' extension. Note the comments about content providers etc.... no need for such things with real open Internet access.

A total red herring!

Jon3G
3rd June 2005, 10:28 AM
its just moved the garden wall

miffed
3rd June 2005, 10:56 AM
After years of moaning about it , I must admit that when Ben brought this to my attention and I was fumbling to get used to entering text through a numerical keypad (something I have not had to do since my samsung t100 was my main phone nearly 3 years ago ! ) - I actually found myself thinking "yeah , so what?"

After years of waiting for Three to get their act together , and hoping for such an announcement , I now feel whatever they do will be too little too late , after all , they are "just another 3G network" , and we have plenty of those to choose from now

And then there is the issue of cost , Judging by the cost of content , especially the Big Brother 75ppm stuff - I'd guess any open access would be ridiculously priced

I have just lowered my final Three tariff to VT100 - meaning my last two Three accounts are both minimal now , One ends August , the other ends November - Then I will sever my ties with Three completely - I gave them a good chance though

chelleon
7th June 2005, 01:55 PM
I just connected my PC to the three network using a GPRS connection and the Nokia PC Suite software. Couldn't get my web browser to go over the 3 wall but could get all the usual rubbish on 3 my3, top shelf etc.