View Full Version : xpPhone

hecatae
19th September 2009, 10:48 PM
AMD Super Mobile processor, 512MB or 1GB RAM, from 8 to 64GB SSD plus from 30 to 120GB HDD (yes both included), 1.3 megapixel camera and various ports - VGA, USB, earphone, microphone, dock connector and SIM slot.

http://www.gsmarena.com/itg_xpphone_runs_windows_xp_can_be_preordered_now-news-1130.php

miffed
20th September 2009, 12:56 PM
Looks interesting - but I am not sure XP on tha screen is going to be a lot of fun on that screen (and I am pretty optomistic on this stuff) I had an OQO , and even with Tablet version optomized for the 5" screen , it was still far too small to be practical (IMO )
The interesting part will be to see what else runs on the Hardware ! or what enthusiast can come up with ? perhaps a port of Nokia's Maemo or something ?
All in all though , I think this is a little "too late" really , 3-4 years ago this would have been great !
Amazing that , while things appear to have moved SO rapidly on the mobile device front over the last couple of years - anyone would consider an 8 year old OS on a new device !!

Hands0n
20th September 2009, 02:07 PM
I do recall when XP first came out that Bill Gates was suggesting that it would appear on all manner of appliance. I recall that he even suggested that the common or garden fridge would sport Windows XP. For the life of me I couldn't imagine why it would. But hey, who am I to argue with the experts. If they say I need XP on my fridge then I surely must need it.

Fast forward near on ten years and so far XP has appeared on ..... errr .... ummm .... PCs. And now available on a soon-to-be-available mobile handset that is possibly the largest in existence.

I am not at all convinced. Mostly because of its [undeclared] size than the fact that it has XP on it. There may be a place for a device smaller than a Netbook, possibly. But there cannot be a place for a mobile handset of that size.

Or is there?

The Mullet of G
8th November 2009, 04:29 PM
Billy G is a visionary, its sometimes hard for mere mortals to see the bigger picture like Bill does, in this case he was predicting the rise of kitchen appliances with computers onboard, and this isn't just a pie in the sky idea, its already happening. :)

Imagine a fridge that constantly kept track of its contents, and upon seeing a shortage starting to develop the fridge would place an order online to replenish that item. Or if one of your items was nearing its sell by date the fridge could alert you before it went bad. The possibilities are endless, and damn it I want that fridge. :)

In regards to the xpPhone, I think you folks are maybe looking at it the wrong way, its not a phone with pocket PC functionality, its a pocket PC with phone functionality, thus it isn't meant to be the worlds smallest handset, its meant to do a job and I suspect it probably does so quite well.

Being a bit of a computer nerd seeing XP, or another desktop OS on a mobile device excites me in a way that Android or Iphone OS never will. I'm sure both of those OS's are far better suited to mobile devices, but they simply lack the geek factor of running a full desktop OS.

As to running Maemo on it, why? Considering the hardware spec of the xpPhone its unlikely to be cheaper than just buying an N900 with Maemo on it. To put anything less than a desktop OS on this device, is to completely miss the point of it. :)