View Full Version : Google Mail on iPhone; Now with Push!

@NickyColman
22nd September 2009, 04:56 PM
http://bit.ly/STyWp

Google have just announced via their blog that they now support Push with Google Mail on iPhone using GoogleSync.

Now a true and more importantly FREE rival to Apple's MobileMe service.

miffed
22nd September 2009, 06:44 PM
The beauty of this is that there is no setting up (for me & the wife :D ) - Simply delete the IMAP account , switch on "mail" on the Google one (which is already syncing Contacts & Calender) - Job done ! , literally a few clicks .

All works , a bit slow (about 30-40 seconds) - but that is over 2G , I am guessing it is going to be a little saturated initially and this will improve over time.
I found the Contacts and Calender to be far better than the mobileme equivalents , lack of mail has been the only downside - Now mail is included I feel the service is complete , I am very happy !
Also brings a smile to my face , that the baffoons that sold me the awful "Gpush" app have just lost any market for their awful product ........Nice !:D

Hands0n
22nd September 2009, 08:02 PM
That is all very cool indeed and not before time too. Had I not been subscribing to MobileMe I would jump at this. As it is, MobileMe still have a slight edge, although a huge negative being the actual cost of the service.

Nicely done Google. Way to take over the world :D

@NickyColman
22nd September 2009, 08:09 PM
@Hands0n - Agreed!

MobileMe is a great service! Its just a damn shame it has to be paid for :( If Google had the ability to sync Contacts OTA back to your Mac/PC then I would definitely consider it come renewal time.

miffed
22nd September 2009, 08:26 PM
M If Google had the ability to sync Contacts OTA back to your Mac/PC then I would definitely consider it come renewal time.

I thought it did ? I don't tend bother with the Mac's address book - but I am pretty sure it was set to sync with google ?

.... Or do I have the wrong end of the stick ?

@NickyColman
22nd September 2009, 08:29 PM
@miffed - I'm not 100% sure to be honest. I've never seen anything regarding software to sync OTA contacts down into the Mac address book. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I hope it does! Shame I couldn't get an @GoogleMail address I liked. :(

miffed
22nd September 2009, 08:37 PM
No - its actually built into the Address book itself , the choice to sync with Mobileme , Yahoo or Google - in the Preferences pane.

Agree WRT the addresses ! My Mobileme address was [email protected] which was pretty cool - almost worth paying £60 pa for ........ but not quite !

@NickyColman
22nd September 2009, 08:39 PM
Ah!! My mistake! Now Google Sync + Android OS is a very tempting alternative to MobileMe + iPhone OS. Cheaper too!!

Hands0n
22nd September 2009, 09:09 PM
@NickyColman - Android has always been able to sync with the Google account. Contacts, Mail and Calendar all sync out of the box.

@NickyColman
22nd September 2009, 09:10 PM
@Hands0n - i was always under the assumption Google Sync didnt work with OS X - how wrong could i be?! Lol!

*searches for HTC Hero online sim-free*

Hands0n
22nd September 2009, 09:17 PM
@NickyColman - what I mean is that Android doesn't need Google Sync - I've had my Magic for several months now and it has always been able to sync (actually it pushes) with my Gmail Contacts, the Calendar and Mail pushes to the handset.

HTC Hero SIM-free on-line is available from Expansys - although the cheapest on a quick search seems to be £339.99 from B4Utele.com (http://www.b4utele.com/products/all/all/35000112.htm).

@NickyColman
22nd September 2009, 09:20 PM
@Hands0n Oh yeah, I know that, i was just unsure from the PC/Mac side of things thats all. Now i know :D

I wish Apple and Google would merge their OS's lol. Androids notifications/background + iPhones slick UI and apps would be amazing.

Problem is, if i switched to Android I'd lose all my great iPhone apps, push notifications etc. I'd be starting back at scratch again.

But who knows? lol

Hands0n
22nd September 2009, 09:25 PM
May I tempt you here? http://www.b4utele.com/products/SIM%20Free%20Mobile%20Phones/Htc/13403986.htm

Oooh, suits you, sir :D

@NickyColman
22nd September 2009, 09:27 PM
Very nice! Never knew they did it in black! Who are B4Utele.com? I've not heard of them before

Hands0n
22nd September 2009, 09:36 PM
I've no idea who B4Utele are. But they've been around since 1997 (see this page http://www.creditgate.com/search/search.aspx?AP=Full%20Non-Limited&CompanyID=03469971&CompanyType=L&BS=1&BT=Full%20Data)

It looks like they file their accounts promptly enough too. I can't find anything negative about them.

Hands0n
22nd September 2009, 09:37 PM
Re the Magic - I like it in its White colour scheme. I've seen a Black one in the flesh, it just looks a bit .... samey. That said, I hate the iPhone in White :eek:

Go figure!!

gorilla
23rd September 2009, 01:29 PM
Shame I couldn't get an @GoogleMail address I liked. :(

Ever thought about buying your domain name? I have, I signed up for (the free) google apps (http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en-GB/business/index.html) which then give me all the cool google stuff, but with my own personal email account. The plus side for me is that in 10 years time, should google go bust (or something else as crazy) then I should still have control of my domain name, so I can just change the MX records and retain control over my email.

I can't believe I paid £0.59 a few months ago for GPush, I feel so ripped off :D
Although now I have GPush pushing my normal gmail (used when I sign up to places I don't trust!).

@NickyColman
23rd September 2009, 05:06 PM
@Gorilla - That sounds interesting! Can you use all of Google's apps with your private email? For example, Google Talk, Latitude, Docs?

gorilla
24th September 2009, 08:47 AM
Not sure about latitude, but talk and docs work.

chagle
24th September 2009, 09:14 AM
Ever thought about buying your domain name?.

I"ve been buying Domains for years. Google are far too expensive for even a .com.

You get a lot of excellent hosting features from cPanel, DirectAdmin etc. from other hosting companies.

If you're looking for a .co.uk for example, 123-reg is a good place to start.

gorilla
24th September 2009, 01:16 PM
I wouldn't use google to purchase a domain name as I think it's $10 through Go Daddy. I use 1and1 and find them ok, no problems as yet.

a_ukboy
24th September 2009, 05:23 PM
How do you get push to work with Googlemail? I can still only see fetch..

miffed
24th September 2009, 06:10 PM
You set is up as Microsoft Exchange , then enable mail , contacts and calender syncing.
http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138740

Ben
25th September 2009, 01:06 AM
How did I miss this? Sod the calendars and contacts, but Push for my work email (which these days is hosted on Google Apps)??

Love it - thanks folks =D

a_ukboy
25th September 2009, 08:10 AM
You set is up as Microsoft Exchange , then enable mail , contacts and calender syncing.
http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138740

Thanks Miffed

Ben
25th September 2009, 10:45 AM
Battery life is definitely being impacted by having the Google/exchange push mail set up...