View Full Version : Ditching iPhone on O2

@NickyColman
25th September 2009, 08:27 PM
Well the title says it all! I'm really considering ditching O2 due its appalling network coverage where I work which has a knock-on effect on iPhones battery life.

Two options;

Unlock iPhone 3GS and use Vodafone / Orange / -T-Mobile- / Three SIM-only deal.

OR

Buy a sim-free unlocked version from Play.com & sell locked version on eBay?

Ben
26th September 2009, 12:37 AM
Ohh, very difficult decision.

The sim-free versions are soooo expensive, Nicky. Why don't you go down the unlocking route first and see how it takes you? Then if you don't want the hassle of the updates, do the SIM-Free thing.

I'm still not ready to ditch O2. Yes, I'm hating their network at the moment, and having my WiFi switched off is really showing them up, but at the same time I do like my visual voicemail and I do like the truly unlimited data tariff. Hmph! Plus it's all official, like :p

chagle
26th September 2009, 08:33 AM
Agreed with Ben - Not that I send many MMS's, but with O2 unlike a lot of Network, MMS's are part of the allowance.

Hands0n
26th September 2009, 09:43 AM
I am in a similar mindset to NC - O2 have until my contract matures on 01.02.2010 to sort themselves out. If they cannot then I'm off to sunnier pastures.

I am seriously considering T-Mobile again if the Flext + Web N Walk tariffs are still about - or a direct equivalent. Vodafone, by then, may have pulled their mobile broadband data out of their buttocks and made phone+data attractive in tariff terms.

I can live without Visual Voicemail, I hardly use it. All I need is a sensible tariff that includes Voice, SMS, MMS (would be nice, but not essential) and importantly a sensible amount of mobile data. Although the iPhone does seem completely meagre in its use of data on the go! Similar observations about Android handsets. I'm shocked at how little is used for so much access .... I digress.

So, its over to O2 for now. Get it sorted or see some mass migrations as the contracts mature - which they all will in a similar period given the huge initial uptake of the original 2G, then the update to 3G. They really missed the boat with the 3GS - I'd have signed up for another 18 months. As it is, they have helped me exit earlier than they could have.

Suks to be O2, then :D

@NickyColman
26th September 2009, 09:54 AM
@Hands0n - I'm with you re Visual Voicemail - i dont use it. I do however, love coverage. Something i dont get at work. GRR

Hands0n
26th September 2009, 11:33 AM
The great irony is that 3 give me the best coverage where I live, work and play. But I'll be damned if I will ever subject myself to their atrocious CS ever again.

So, Vodafone or T-Mobile it is then. Orange? Bargepole and bogbrush spring to mind. :D