View Full Version : Orange: iPhone 3G and 3GS by Christmas

Ben
28th September 2009, 09:47 AM
http://www.whatmobile.net/News/mobilephonenews/327663/orange_uk_to_sell_iphone_3g_and_3gs_before_christm as.html

Multiple news sources are today reporting that Orange will carry not only the iPhone 3G but also the newer iPhone 3GS by Christmas this year, marking the end of O2's exclusivity agreement.

Whether other networks will also carry the iPhone is unclear - I would imagine Apple are still demanding terms similar to the O2 agreement, just opening them up to other carriers.

3GScottishUser
28th September 2009, 12:13 PM
Its now officially on the Orange website.

http://newsroom.orange.co.uk/2009/09/28/orange-to-sell-iphone-in-uk/#

Quite amusing buying an apple from orange.... what branding!!

gorilla
28th September 2009, 12:23 PM
The Times are reporting that other carriers will follow.

I'm wondering whether there will be an official unlock available as this would make the process of switching carrier much easier. OR would an iPhone activated on O2 work on another 'Official' carrier without needing to be unlocked?

Could there be a mass migration from O2 in January to other iPhone carriers? Hell Yeah!

Ben
28th September 2009, 01:13 PM
I sincerely doubt O2 will ever allow iPhone unlocking... but I suppose we will see!

3GScottishUser
28th September 2009, 01:40 PM
The BBC has just published a follow-up article about the iPhone deal and they reckon it's a fading star and Orange will simply be burning a huge sum of money to keep the momentum going for it.

The BBC also published some independent research about iPhone by a Danish telecoms consultancy and it makes interesting reading. I have posted the "10 Biggest Myths about the iPhone' in the iPhone thread.

Meantime read what the BBC think of the Orange deal here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/

Ben
28th September 2009, 01:48 PM
Yeah... that iPhone is fading fast..... :S

It wont be fading for me until the day comes where I can imagine my life without it.

miffed
28th September 2009, 03:50 PM
Brilliant ! - you have to give someone Kudos for this :D :D

iPhone owners across the UK have been complaining about their network for the last couple of months , so lets show them JUST how bad things can get - Someone at Apple has obviously got a great sense of humour :D -

Seriously though , this will prove (or disprove) my theory, that ANY of the UK networks would have the problems o2 are currently seeing , if they hosted a device such as the iPhone - it attracts (in large volumes) people who were previously unlikely to use Mobile data ...and enables them to use oodles of it !

@NickyColman
28th September 2009, 05:53 PM
@Miffed - AGREED!

Its been said by Apple that people who use iPhone use much more features of the phone than that of a 'standard' phone - most of those features involving data consumption.

I cant wait to see how Orange piss on this one with their horrid data bundles. I say data bundles, what I actually mean is their data shackles.

Hands0n
28th September 2009, 08:00 PM
"... iPhone a fading star ..." :D

One has to wonder in what dimension or universe that may be happening. Because it certainly isn't happening here, in this one. Stock is shifting as fast as it can be replenished. New global markets are just opening. China may well absorb all that can be produced for several years yet. Not really a sign of fading. Not even in our fickle oversaturated market in the UK could the world "fading" be applied with any degree of accuracy.

Other devices are emerging, Android in particular is going to be a big threat to the space that the iPhone has occupied solus for the past two years. But even the mighty Android and LiMo handsets are all being held up against the iPhone to test whether or not it is the latest "killer". So far, all have failed to live up to the claim.

The trick that has been missed by all, so far, is not the iPhone itself but the entire user experience. It is subtle, very subtle, but inescapably has the appeal that has made the iPhone such a class leader. Remember, people have been buying this device of their own free will, there has been no coersion or collusion involved or necessary ...

Sorry to appear to be a fanbois - but credit where it is due. The iPhone has not only led but it has transformed the entire industry in the two years that it has existed. The "halo effect" in industry has been profound. Where once walled gardens existed there are now wide open plains. Where miserly data tariffs were all that could be expected there are now gigabytes of monthly allowance for mere pounds.

There was none of that, in much quantity or substance, before the iPhone hit the street.

3g-g
29th September 2009, 09:13 AM
My only beef with my iPhone is coverage... pure and simples. I've no real calling or loyalty to be on any specific network. If O2 resolved their absolutely terrible 3G coverage I'd stay, no problem. However, I know Orange's 3G/3G+ network is extensive, and that's appealing for the 3GS...

O2 have 'till May '10 to sort out their network, or make the tariff more attractive or I'll give consideration to taking my upgrade elsewhere.

Ben
29th September 2009, 09:30 AM
For folks with good Orange coverage, switching probably doesn't even warrant a second thought. Provided that the tariffs are reasonable, sure. I never used to have problems in the Midlands.

3GScottishUser
29th September 2009, 06:54 PM
I wonder if they will be offering Orange World at the rates they charge for data on other phones?

Of all the mobile networks Orange have been in the slow lane when it comes to promoting enhanced 3G services.

Maybe the iPhone is what they need to boot them into touch.

3g-g
30th September 2009, 12:17 AM
Maybe the iPhone is what they need to boot them into touch.

Yes, I think the iPhone is exactly what the networks need to boot them into touch. They need to realise that they can't be service and content providers, just pick one... preferably the service provider!

Hands0n
30th September 2009, 12:28 AM
I'm left wondering what branding Orange are going to attempt with the iPhone. Would Apple really let Orange fsck up their flagship device?

Yet Orange have a history of virtually crippling any device they lay hand on - anyone remember what they did to the Nokia 6680? I had one on 3, a mate had one on Orange - his was unusable by comparison!

getti
30th September 2009, 07:52 AM
It has already been said that Orange and Vodafone will have NO branding on the phone's hardware or software (cant find the link though).

Hands0n
30th September 2009, 08:46 AM
If true that will be a major, and welcome, departure from Orange's usual modus operandi. One has got to love Apple's corporate muscle. Even Nokia, as global leading manufacturer, never got away with that (and thats not a dig at Nokia). Happy times.

Ben
30th September 2009, 10:15 AM
Oh totally, I cannot imagine for a minute that any branding is allowed. I do love how the operators are forced to abandon their brand and a portion of their income in order to carry this handset! =D

Lets just hope Apple keeps it worthwhile for them. Given that both operators carry the handset in other territories it's not like they don't know what they're signing up for. Vodafone, in particular, is surely looking to the iPhone as more of a retentions device, though - I can't imagine any of the networks pushing it like O2 had to in order to meet targets.

Hands0n
30th September 2009, 10:35 AM
The iPhone in particular and Apple in general are hated and infamous enough to ensure their place in history. The reputation of the company and the product does most of the marketing for both Apple and the operators that sell its iPhone product.

The Apple-haters ensure that Apple and its product is kept high on the conscience of any of the tech wires and forums. Such irony that they'd probably commit suicide if the realised what a splendid job of marketing they are doing for Apple :D

It is a phenomenon that psychologists and historians will be able to write volumes on in time to come.

But bottom line, the product and its experience wrapper are very good indeed.