View Full Version : iPhone: Will you switch networks?

Ben
29th September 2009, 10:30 AM
In the blink of an eye, it would seem, we now have a choice of mobile networks for the iPhone in the UK. By late this year/early next year, we will no longer be trapped on O2.

But what will you do? Please vote on the poll and post information about your choice, such as what network you would move to and why.

Hands0n
29th September 2009, 11:02 AM
I voted "Will switch at the end of my contract wtih O2"

My intention is to go for one of these 30-day SIM-only deals with a mobile data add-on if the price is right. I already have the iPhone 3GS, I have made my technological commitment and now have absolutely no reason whatsoever to hang around with any one company.

Come 1/2/10 depending upon what is on offer I will jump ship from O2 - unless, that is, they pull a 3G rabbit out of their hat and actually give me some appreciable level of service.

Ben
29th September 2009, 11:24 AM
I voted for switching as soon as possible, but given the timeframes to release that will, realistically, be at the end of my contract.

One thing that does concern me is having to buy another iPhone 3GS - assuming O2 will not let me unlock. There'll be another one along in the summer so, really, I'd be better waiting until then to buy a new one. But given the chance to break free from O2, could I reaaaally wait? Probably not, no :p

Ben
29th September 2009, 11:34 AM
We've got some stickers! Come on, spill! ;)

hecatae
29th September 2009, 11:37 AM
I'm happy with my o2 staff discount ;)

miffed
29th September 2009, 11:41 AM
Absolutely not moving - my experience of Orange & Vodafone are pretty appauling - I tend to keep things like this to myself , but I am actually not a great fan of Vodafone !

I went through a week or so of calls taking ages to connect , but that seems to be ironed out now , and I find o2's 3G coverage to be excellent pretty much everywhere I need it - so I'd be silly to change IMO

Add to this the my CS experiences (o2 - Excellent , Vodafone - God awful , Orange - Awful ) and you see there is pretty much no choice for me to make !

Ben
29th September 2009, 12:55 PM
O2 CS has been OK for me, but I was thoroughly unimpressed with their reaction to my coverage woes. I suppose all networks say the same thing, though. If they had a femtocell available then at least I could get good coverage at the new house. Vodafone has the best coverage there, and has a femtocell, so they can't lose.

While very hard to spot, I also can't stand being on a network that has underlying faults (https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7110) that have persisted for years and remain unresolved and, as far as I can tell, un-investigated.

Using O2's data network exclusively (WiFi off) on my iPhone for the last week, I've come to appreciate the extent of the deficiencies within their data network. Yes, a lot of my issues are coverage related, but even when I do have good coverage, even 3G, often times performance is bad.

I also get occasional SMS messages failing to send on O2, which I don't recall ever being something I've experienced before!

As I'm paying full-whack, don't particularly like the number I was saddled with (Vodafone's website let me pick my number, and I like it better for that), and don't take any other services or offers from O2, there's really nothing keeping me loyal to them. It will take a miracle to keep me next year.

Hands0n
29th September 2009, 01:54 PM
In the blink of an eye, it would seem, we now have a choice of mobile networks for the iPhone in the UK.

It seems that the more you blink the more options become apparent. What next? Tesco? Asda? Waitrose?? :D

miffed
29th September 2009, 03:42 PM
I wonder if we are going to see any competion though ? -ultimately , if a new iPhone is launched , and Orange , for example , offer a substatially lower price for the phone , I may be tempted ..... but I suspect that prices and bundles will be pretty much identical across the board (as an Apple requirement ? )

Hands0n
29th September 2009, 05:06 PM
Yes, typically Apple do not allow any substantial discounting of their product. Which is a shame really, but in some ways I can see their point also.

blush
29th September 2009, 05:08 PM
I plan to stick with o2, Vodafone and Orange are lacking in coverage in some of the places I go in Kent and Sussex. I have had the iPhone set to 3g off from day one as the 2g is very stable and adding 3g just means calls go to voicemail in my experience. I like o2 tariffs and both Orange an Vodafone seem to make their calling plans complicated. My first mobile was on Orange about a week after they launched and I remember having to drive about six miles to make a call!

Heidi
29th September 2009, 07:04 PM
Not difficult for me :)

Sticking with o2 i get it good in North Yorkshire and back home so Go Me !!!

Ive been on all the other Networks at some point in the past and im sure like most of you guys we have all had good and bad experiences with each one :P
(And Boy do you guys like telling those stories !!!!)

But for me i guess im going to be sticking with the best of the bunch that works for me atm

As for the CS in all networks im sure it does depends who you get and what mood they or you are in when calling ;)

a_ukboy
29th September 2009, 08:21 PM
I will be leaving o2 when my contract expires (10/01/10) but only because of coverage issues, I personally like o2 as a network specially their CS which is probably the best I've experienced from a mobile network.. I think I will get the Solo sim deal from T-Mob as I feel this offers me the best sim only deals and as I've got my 32gb 3Gs and it's in mint condition I won't need another mobile, just now the unlocking to overcome..

I see all the networks except 3 will now get the iPhone unless they're just keeping it to themselves for now?? Which IMHO is a shame cause I think it would be a great network for the iPhone, great 3g coverage and fast reliable data..

gorilla
29th September 2009, 09:43 PM
I'm leaving O2 for a sim only deal with inclusive data on Vodafone or Orange. That is unless O2 have a miracle and improve their 3G coverage and offer a substantial retention deal.
I expect by January there should be some really good sim only deals around (assuming they still exist).

Hands0n
30th September 2009, 12:11 AM
As for the CS in all networks im sure it does depends who you get and what mood they or you are in when calling ;)

Oooh, don't get me going. I'll only start swearing :D

Suffice to say that I wouldn't tiddle on 3's CS if they were on fire!