View Full Version : Google Sync + MobileMe

@NickyColman
3rd October 2009, 11:51 AM
Note; This is only for Mac Users. Make sure you save a backup of all calendars/contacts before attempting the following

HELLO! I use both a Google Account and a MobileMe account but I have been struggling to get them to co-exist on iPhone. So with the help of a few twitterererers and Google Search I have finally found a 'workaround' to get the best of both worlds on your iPhone.

If you enable Google Sync on iPhone it will instantly remove your MobileMe syncing and Vice Versa.

To get round this, MobileMe should be the only account on your iPhone, remove your Google Sync details.

Go to Preferences in your Address Book on OS X and enable Google Account syncing to your Mac (Synchronise with Google). What this will essentially do is copy all your MobileMe contacts from your Address Book up into Google Contacts 'cloud' and vice versa.

If you amend something in the Google Contacts 'cloud', the next time your Address Book syncs, it will transfer down into your Mac and MobileMe will then Push the contacts out to your iPhone allowing you to maintain both MobileMe contacts AND Google Contacts on your iPhone without conflict.

Basically MobileMe will be doing all the hardwork whilst Google piggy backs!

Next for calendar syncing you simply have to set up Google Sync but when you get the option of what to sync (Mail, Calendar, Contacts) only choose Calendar & Mail as the Contacts side is being handled by MobileMe.

When you are finished you will have Contact & Calendar syncing with Push email from both Google & MobileMe on your iPhone with hopefully no conflict.

As a side note you may wanna clean up your GoogleMail as everyone you have ever emailed may be transferred to your iPhone as Google Contacts uses the My Contacts Group.

Thanks to Hands0n for pointing me in the right direction. :D

chagle
3rd October 2009, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the info. More stuff to play with :-)

Hands0n
3rd October 2009, 12:21 PM
Oh me, oh my :) I am half way through resolving differences and duplicates across 640 contacts. @NickyColman is right about Google collecting every email address that you've ever communicated with. MobileMe/iPhone/Contacts now has all of them :-)

The thing is - it is quite useful now - I can edit the lot on either MobileMe or GMail and re-sync to get it all nicely cleaned up. Better, even, than trying to edit in Contacts.app which, for some reason makes it oddly difficult to delete a contact!

Thanks to you, also, @NickyColman for getting me off my backside to actually do this :D wot I've been meaning to for simply ages!

Ah, a single Contacts ... happytimes :D

3g-g
5th October 2009, 10:48 AM
Well not using MobileMe, i'm glad Google have caught up with their push for GMail, I'm so impressed that a free web based public email client can be so useful! Push to my GMail makes email a-kin to any chat app, but anyone using exchange push or MobileMe will know that. If you've a GMail address and a handset capable of pushing your email, then get it set up!

I did worry for a moment about the contacts conflict, having several times with my work exchange email, knackered/duplicated the contacts and calendar, so here's what I did for my GMail/iPhone sync.

Firstly I went to Gmail on the web, and to the contacts section. As was mentioned previously, every contact I've ever emailed was there. A few I just deleted, the rest I made sure that their entries were the same as my Mac address book (as in the OSX native address book). Then I selected all the contacts in web based GMail, and deleted them.

On the Mac address book I created a vCard for all the entries, which you can then import into web GMail, now all the entries from my address book were transferred online. Also, in address book preferences, I added the exchange sync details for GMail, so it updates GMail and vise-versa. Returning to my iPhone, contacts sync selected, all my contacts were sync'd with what I'd just updated on the web (which was my address book that syncs with iTunes/iPhone anyway), and ta-dah, no conflicts or duplicates!

Now, when I update a contact on my iPhone, it automatically does so in Gmail and my Mac address book too! Sweet.