View Full Version : Orange TV review

Jon3G
4th June 2005, 10:54 PM
Hi just a few comments after trying the service

Signing up and downloading the software

Very easy and this is something you would expect from Orange. After all they did create the simple to understand phone bill. Its simple, you go to Orange world and follow the signs for OTV. Accept a few T&C's and also confirm you have a current colour TV licence. The downloading is simple and install is painless, it mostly does it itself. Once done you then go to the app in your menu and sign up. It says first 3 months free and then £10 a month there after. Bingo

Connecting to OTV and selecting channels

Connecting seems slow for me, but this may be just down to the coverage. On the right hand side you have a channel key. From here you can select the channel you require. In total OTV has 9 channels, but in fairness one is a Orange TV promo channel and not really a channel.

Video

Well I dont think its too great. But then again its a mobile. I have found the content sometimes blocky and jumpy. This maybe down to the software and not the network because we all know that the Orange network is very stable. The content is pretty good and worth watching if you have nothing to do and fancy a laugh at the cartoons or Big Brother. It also buffers alot, This may may be down to the coverage. You also cant go full screen unlike the Voda offering. The back light that keeps turning off is very annoying, but this a phone thing and not the service

Sound

This was not good at all. Many have reported that the sound does not come on and in my case it has only come on once. All the other times it was silent or on and off. I would say to early to comment on this side

Stability

Its ok for a very new product, but a few times it has crashed the phone or OTV just switched off and would not come back on till the phone was restarted. I think many bugs needed to be fixed, but heh this is new and it does have a feedback email on the app and really do think Orange want to listen and make it work. The interface is really easy to use and its been kept simple and this is really good.

Pros
Its free for 3 months
Kills time when you are bored
still can view when not in 3G coverage
Some good content
Good interface and simple installation

Cons

Not worth £10 a month after the free period (if it stays the same)
Poor video quality
Hit and miss sound
Not full screen
Backlight turning off issue

So all in all, Orange TV still has alot of development to go. But Orange have been very bold and daring to try this and I think it will pay off once the issues are sorted out.

BTW

Both Orange contract and pay as you go customers can get this service. I have signed both sims up and it works fine

Anyway I will report more once I have a proper play
:)

Jon3G
5th June 2005, 09:51 AM
The video and audio maybe the software.

See this thread to understand

https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?p=3235#post3235

Ben
5th June 2005, 01:01 PM
Nice writeup!

I watched a mixture of BB and CNN in bed last night for about an hour with no problems. If I'm stationary in full coverage it seems to work remarkably well - clear sharp picture and clear sound.

Jon3G
5th June 2005, 01:06 PM
I think its all down to the signal, more testing needed

Jon3G
5th June 2005, 01:08 PM
Heres some pics

Really its a run through from start to watch

Jon3G
5th June 2005, 01:10 PM
Some more and one of the TV in action

Jon3G
5th June 2005, 02:34 PM
A streaming pic

bangers!
6th June 2005, 08:36 AM
Does anyone have trouble with their phone crashing when using OTV? Sometimes mine fails to load and the application can only be aborted by switching off and re-booting the phone.
Any ideas why this could be, im only running the one application at a time so memory shouldnt be an issue??
Thanks

Ben
6th June 2005, 09:54 AM
Very rarely I've had crashes... but it wouldn't surprise me if my unbranded handset copes better than the branded ones! You could try removing and reinstalling Orange TV - or calling 350 but I'm guessing their answer would be a handset replacement, perhaps overkill for this issue. You might be able to get a software upgrade at your local Nokia service centre though?

I'm considering getting mine flashed as I believe a new software version is (or will be shortly) available. However, I'm not having any major difficulties, so I'm reluctant.

Jon3G
6th June 2005, 11:01 AM
Please bear in mind.

I did this review on a Vodafone 6680 that has been unlocked, But I have also had the same problems with the quality when using Voda 3G coverage using the OTV software.

But I can report since last night, some of the issues seem to be getting better and I did watch Big Brother for an hour or so without any issues.

In relation to bangers question

I did report in my review that the OTV software crashed and would not come back on until I restarted the phone. The issue only happened once and its not happened since. Follow Bens advice and install the software again.

3g-g
6th June 2005, 03:43 PM
I know everyone and their Granny has been going 6680 mad recently, but lets not forget about the little people here! The ones with the outdated already Sanyos, SE and LGs!

Orange TV can't be too far away for us also. On my Sanyo at the moment, at the top of Orange World is BB6. 50p a day it said... Hmm, that'll be 50p per clip I thought. But no! It's 50p a day for live streamed TV! And as I can't see any conditions with clicking on that link, I can only presume that it's not data inclusive. You click and it starts. No buffering, no mismatch of sound and vision, just straight into the house. I had to check with Ben incase everyone had this, but it seems like you dont. If you've got a 6680 and you head onto OW it's just clips you get. You need the player to watch OTV.

Orange won't need to launch a TV app for all the other handsets if they can do it from links on OW, I'd be quite happy to select my viewing from the home page.

Roll on BBC... which I hear is in the pipeline ;)

Jon3G
6th June 2005, 04:33 PM
Voda offer the same thing with BB and on vodafone live and thats just through a link

Ben
6th June 2005, 05:05 PM
Yeah, so you've pointed out, but at twice the price it would seem. It all boils down to whether data on Orange actually is included or not... but I can't see how it would be, making it a pricey luxuary if you're outside of your 3 month TRY period.

Jon3G
6th June 2005, 06:01 PM
Yes, but has its been pointed out in another thread. You can buy a content deal for £5 a month which works very cheap!!!!!

Ben
6th June 2005, 06:39 PM
Well supposedly you can, but unless I'm mistaken the monthly option isn't available at the moment?

Jon3G
6th June 2005, 08:13 PM
Lol

you have an answer for everything

Is not off topic

3g-g
7th June 2005, 01:15 AM
Pot, Kettle?

bangers!
7th June 2005, 02:10 PM
OK, so how do i remove OTV from my hand set? I want to reinstall it to see if i can stop it crashing (as recommended previously on this thread).
I have a FExplorer but cant find the tv files to delete and there is no delete option when using the application.
Thanks

Ben
7th June 2005, 02:29 PM
Nonono!

Go to Menu > Tools > Manager > OrangeTV and press Options > Remove.

bangers!
7th June 2005, 04:09 PM
Ahhh easy when you know how.

Thanks Ben.