View Full Version : Review of HTC Universal

Ben
31st March 2005, 10:44 PM
http://www.msmobiles.com/news.php/3584.html

While I think this phone still looks pretty horrible, some of these pictures are a little more flattering than the small plasticy looking snaps that have been doing the rounds.

The review is mostly pictures, but click the link above to have a look and decide for yourself.

Comments welcome!

miffed
1st April 2005, 08:36 AM
I agree it looks nasty !

But I have a feeling you will need to use this device to appreciate it - once it's powered up I bet it has a whole different "aura" about it

I don't think HTC have made a duff product yet ( as an XDA owner I would say that , lol ) so it'll probably be amazing as far as functionallity is concerned , just a shame it is a bit of an ogre to look at
hopefully they'll have given it a makeover by the time my XDAII is due for an upgrade :)

CybaCowboy
4th April 2005, 02:15 PM
'Bout time they brought out a REAL 3G Smartphone...

I'm a little disappointed that it's as big as it is, it's a lot bigger than it has to be and this is likely to cause some trouble with sales...

On the other hand, the combination of Windows Mobile and a 3G network is pure bliss; there's just so much potential!

CybaCowboy
4th April 2005, 02:26 PM
With some 3G networks supporting speeds up to 2MB/s (faster than broadband Internet in most countries), you could surf the Internet at phenomenal speeds, download DVD-quality movies in minutes, send & recieve E-Mail messages, even if they include HUGE attachments, at VERY quick speeds and MUCH, MUCH more!

Windows Mobile is predicted to be the leading smartphone by 2006 and it's easy to see why...

Ben
4th April 2005, 02:38 PM
"the combination of Windows Mobile and a 3G network is pure bliss"

I'm with you on that one - as much as I'd like to see Symbian succeed, the compatibility aspects of having a phone that runs Windows Mobile are phenominal.

HSDPA, the technology that makes 3G networks much faster than 384kbps (by download speed anyway), will - as you rightly say - revolutionise the types of data we can manage while we're on the move. To make use of it, we're going to need decent smartphones. Windows Mobile may not have all the mobile phone apps already developed that Symbian has, but it doesn't need them - most Windows Pocket PC/Windows CE software should work.

While I probably wont get this particular handset, I can't wait to give it a good testing!

CybaCowboy
6th April 2005, 01:37 AM
If you're referring to Windows Mobile Smartphones when you say there's a limited number of applications in comparison to Symbian OS, you'd be right...

Unless of course you were referring to Windows Mobile Pocket PCs with Integrated Phone Capabilities (such as the HTC Universal above), in which case you'd be well and truely wrong- there are THOUSANDS (if not HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS) of applications and games available for Windows Mobile Pocket PCs!

Ben
6th April 2005, 02:15 AM
I have an iPAQ that runs Windows Mobile (Pocket PC 2003). As Microsoft have attempted to bring their Pocket PC and Mobile editions together, does this mean that applications written for one will work with the other?

CybaCowboy
7th April 2005, 04:14 AM
The upcoming "Magneto" operating system is a combination of both versions of Windows Mobile; in the near future, Microsoft will no longer have TWO different operating systems/devices and early reports suggest that Windows Mobile Smartphone AND Pocket PC software will be compatible with the new "Magneto" operating system...

Ben
7th April 2005, 01:48 PM
Now that sounds more like it! Cheers for the heads-up.

CybaCowboy
8th April 2005, 10:45 PM
They're expecting "Magneto" to be OFFICIALLY announced any day now, and it's expected that the first "Magneto" devices will start shipping late in 2005...

If any of you are interested in finding out more about "Magneto," there's a simple review and HEAPS of pictures on http://www.msmobiles.com (maybe one of you could post a few pictures here?)...

miffed
16th April 2005, 10:59 AM
Nope ! - Cant fight it any longer !

I am getting strange cravings for a Nokia 9500 , and deep down , I know I'll be dissappointed with it , So I think I'm going to have to get one of these to satisfy my "new device" craving

Not sure about T-mobile though , may have to wait for an orange / Vodafone one , or an o2 model (quite happy to use 2.5g thank you :) )

3g-g
11th May 2005, 01:47 AM
On it's way, and shipping with MS Mobile 5.0.

Taken from geekzone. (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=4474)

High Tech Computer Corp. (HTC) has plans to release the first 3G Windows Mobile 5.0-based device, the HTC Universal. Global distribution plans for the device are expected in the second half of 2005 with mobile operators in Europe, North America, and Asia.

Mobile operators like T-Mobile, O2 and Vodafone have already announced plans to release new Pocket PC Phone Edition devices based on this platform.

Microsoft Corp. chairman and chief software architect, Bill Gates, unveiled Windows Mobile 5.0 during his keynote at Microsoft Mobile & Embedded DevCon 2005 in Las Vegas and displayed the HTC Universal during the demonstrations.

"This is the first time we are seeing the same internet experience, which you can only have in your office, with universal 3G high speed wireless data capability and large VGA display legibility. The new features from Windows Mobile 5.0 will greatly improve the keyboard experience and persistent storage feature will keep user data forever," said Peter Chou, president of HTC.

Certain technological breakthroughs are seen in the HTC Universal featuring improved support of more multimedia and productivity applications, broad integration of digital multimedia features, and faster connections to the Internet and email servers. With seamless synchronization to Office applications, faster connection speeds and versatile multimedia features customers can be more productive and have fun anywhere, anytime.

The HTC Universal is a 3G-enabled device that takes advantage of the advanced Windows Mobile 5.0 features, The built-in keyboard enables users to create and edit files with Microsoft Office applications. For phone and communications, the latest video telephony and dual-camera functionality facilitate high-speed connections and videoconferencing. The clamshell design of the device features a 180 degree pivot screen. With its new user interface boasting portrait and landscape modes, the new 3G phone will automatically change to the best interface. Users can also switch between the two display modes at their own discretion. In addition, users can send and receive pictures and video files at more rapid connection speeds. With its dual speaker stereophonic sound system, users can enjoy smooth and high-resolution videos at anytime.

The HTC Universal connects to WLAN (Wi-Fi), WWAN (GPRS and 3G UMTS) and Bluetooth devices.

Jon3G
11th May 2005, 04:30 PM
I agree it looks nasty !

But I have a feeling you will need to use this device to appreciate it - once it's powered up I bet it has a whole different "aura" about it

I don't think HTC have made a duff product yet ( as an XDA owner I would say that , lol ) so it'll probably be amazing as far as functionallity is concerned , just a shame it is a bit of an ogre to look at
hopefully they'll have given it a makeover by the time my XDAII is due for an upgrade :)

Which version of the XDA2 have you got, I have the XDA2i and I am very impressed, not to keen on the XDA2s, my mate has that and it keeps crashing

miffed
11th May 2005, 07:03 PM
Mines just a plain old II , I do love it , or at least I did - now it's on Ebay !

No particular reason , Just time for us to part company - Plus I need the space for my Nokia 9500

Jon3G
12th May 2005, 12:16 PM
ok the XDA2i is a vast improvement