View Full Version : Android update 1.6 Donut for Magic 19 Oct 2009

Hands0n
10th October 2009, 09:39 PM
The headline says it all really. For those with the HTC Magic on Vodafone the wait is nearly over. Google is said to be releasing the Donut update on 19 October onwards.

There are a lots of new bits and pieces in the new code. But also significant is a new Market that is much aligned in design to the Apple Apps Store.

Read all about it here --> http://www.fonehome.co.uk/2009/10/android-donut-update-for-htc-magic-rolls-out-october-19/

Or here :)

Big news Android fans. Donut (Android 1.6), the latest version of Google’s Android operating system, is making its way onto the HTC Magic, with the UK roll-out scheduled for October 19. That’s just ten days away folks! Read on to find out what this means for your Magic mobile phone…

What exactly can we expect from Google Donut when it hits the Magic on October 19? Well, for starters there are massive changes to Android Market – Google’s own app store. The user interface has also been much improved, with the categories being separated into free and paid-for apps by popular demand. That means it’s much easier to find that elusive Facebook app you’d been searching for. There’s a new look and feel with developers being able to add screenshots, promotional icons and improved descriptions to apps.

Donut will also allow you to perform a quick search, scanning all your HTC Magic’s data. That means text messages and even third party apps are all searchable, with those deemed to be most important (eg contacts or apps that are regularly used) pushed to the top of the search results.

Always thought the HTC magic’s 3.2-megapixel camera could do with a boost? Well under Donut that camera gets a 39% improvement in speed. It’s the mobile equivalent of adding NOS to your car.

That’s not the end of Donut’s special powers though. As well as in-app gesture recognition (which opens up a whole new world for game developers!) there’s also a text-to-speech engine that supports a number of languages including English, French, Italian and Spanish, for those of you that like to a continental twist to your Magic.

So grab your marker pens and stamp October 19 in your diaries: Donut for the HTC Magic is being rolled out.

miffed
11th October 2009, 08:12 AM
Is this definateley going to include the Vodafone version ? Everything I have read prior to this suggested that it was not ?

getti
11th October 2009, 08:41 AM
Vodafone have announced it will be on the 19th

Hands0n
11th October 2009, 08:54 AM
Yes, that is specifically for the UK version of the code. The T-Mobile update to 1.6 has already been under way for a couple of weeks. For some reason Google have staged the release - perhaps to protect their download servers.

1.6 for the US G1 and MyTouch (Magic) is also available for download and manual install. It will not install on UK versions, you would have to update to the US Cupcake first. For interest only there is a comprehensive document here (http://androidandme.com/2009/10/beginners/guides/how-to-manually-install-the-official-t-mobile-android-1-6-on-your-g1/) - but I don't advise changing to it unless you're ready to do it all again after the 19th to get back to the UK code :D

miffed
19th October 2009, 08:09 AM
Well ....... Where is it then ? :confused:

Getting a little excited :D

Hands0n
19th October 2009, 09:36 AM
LOL - I suspect we won't see it until the Americans wake up - but not sure if thats East coast or West coast - so we're looking at either five or eight hours behind us ...

Its only a wild guess really, but we cannot hurry the centre of the universe now, can we?

Excited?? I'm positively wetting myself in anticipate :eek:

miffed
19th October 2009, 05:52 PM
hmmm , :confused: *looks at watch while pacing up and down*

Hands0n
19th October 2009, 06:00 PM
I'm copping the right 'ump here ;)

No notification yet - but Twitter is beginning to glow ever so with reports from Europe and the UK of Magic and G1 users getting their updates.

I'm trying to find a manual link to the official version - then will go do it myself rather than wait. Although these often come out a day or two after the actual release ..

Ben
19th October 2009, 06:24 PM
Let it happen au natural! :p Let the update mechanism do its thing!

I'm just liking that it's keeping you in suspense, given that I'm out of the Android loop n' all ;)

Their update mechanism does sound impressive. Providing the updates don't break things... retaining some sort of control a la iPhone isn't all bad.

Hands0n
19th October 2009, 06:34 PM
Its finger-biting I tell ya :D

There is a level of control of the OTA - while the notification and the download to your device occur in the background, ultimately you get to choose to install it or not.

What is missing is the 'natural' ability to change versions - all quite possible, but not without a bit of research first..

Hands0n
20th October 2009, 01:02 AM
Oh well - what a disappointment that was :) The biggest non-event of the week :p

I'm not holding my breath a moment longer. When it comes it comes ... :eek: Just one more check before going to bed ;)

Ben
20th October 2009, 09:36 AM
LoL you poor sod! They're really making you wait your turn, huh? Don't they know who you are?!

Hands0n
20th October 2009, 09:45 AM
LOL And what is even more frustrating is that others are getting theirs already (last evening, overnight and this morning). Even the chaps at @VodafoneUK are taunting me :p

I don't understand how the roll-out happens - but it isn't an "open the floodgates" thing like the iPhone where the updates are available to all on the hour they say it will be!

Isn't it amazing what we get used to. Not very far back at all we didn't generally bother with firmware updates - and then only the techy ones of us did (none of my friends even know what Nokia Software Updater is, or that it even existed!!!!). Fast forward to today, and we've all such high expectations :D

miffed
20th October 2009, 11:59 AM
Well , still no sign :(

From what I can gather , it is cosmetically the same (I was hoping for the new UI ) - With a few tweaks , quicker , search function , better marketplace ,quicker camera etc

Not a lot to write home about even if you have got it from what I've read in various prices

I can't believe I wasted my excitement on this !

Ben
20th October 2009, 12:25 PM
Do you reckon the handsets check for updates at some regular interval? Like once a week?

Hands0n
20th October 2009, 01:26 PM
@miffed - Try this please ...

To make your Android phone "Check In" for the latest software, follow the steps below:
Go to the homescreen.
Tap on Dialer - to open the dialer screen.
From the dialer type *#*#checkin#*#* (that is *#*#2432546#*#*)
After a few seconds, you will receive an alert notification, accessible from the homescreen window shade "checkin result success".
Return to the homescreen.
Press the Menu key.
Select Settings.
Scroll down, and select About phone.
Select System updates.
If an update is available, you should see the update downloading.
When the download is complete, you will be prompted to Install (now or later)

If you you chose not to install, you will be reminded every 2 hours.

Also - could you let me know what Build number your Magic is. Mine is Build CRC1 which I believe is the latest Cupcake.

Hands0n
20th October 2009, 03:04 PM
Update your G1 to Donut (Android 1.6) manually [not OTA]

These instructions are only for the Google G1 in Europe as marketed by T-Mobile. That said, they will work in any EU G1 whether it is locked to T-Mobile or unlocked.

I have tried this in my own unlocked G1 and it works just fine.

Do not use the linked binary with any other Android handset than the G1.

Manual install Android update 1.6 Donut

http://android.clients.google.com/updates/kila_eu/signed-kila_eu-DRC92-from-CRC37.a7b90b4e.zip

- Download above
- Rename to update.zip
- Put on root of your SD card
- Reboot your phone into recovery mode. Power off the phone first and then hold down the Home key while powering it back on
- The recovery mode is finished loading when you see the ! mark inside the triangle. Press Alt+L (Home+Power buttons if no physical keyboard) to display the list of options.
- Press Alt+S (or use scroll ball to choose "apply update") to flash the file update.zip.
- Wait for the update to apply. Your phone may reboot during this process so be patient.
- Press Home+Back if prompted to reboot your phone.

NB: If you are using Windows to do this - be careful how you rename the file to update.zip. If you have Windows set to "hide extensions" then only rename the file to "update" - otherwise Windows will name it update.zip.zip !!!

miffed
20th October 2009, 03:31 PM
@miffed - Try this please ...

To make your Android phone "Check In" for the latest software, follow the steps below:
Go to the homescreen.
Tap on Dialer - to open the dialer screen.
From the dialer type *#*#checkin#*#* (that is *#*#2432546#*#*)
After a few seconds, you will receive an alert notification, accessible from the homescreen window shade "checkin result success".
Return to the homescreen.
Press the Menu key.
Select Settings.
Scroll down, and select About phone.
Select System updates.
If an update is available, you should see the update downloading.
When the download is complete, you will be prompted to Install (now or later)

If you you chose not to install, you will be reminded every 2 hours.

Also - could you let me know what Build number your Magic is. Mine is Build CRC1 which I believe is the latest Cupcake.

Mine is CRC1 as well mate

Went through all the motions above , and while everyting checked out , it still said my system is up to date :(

I am a little bitter about it TBH , we are all talking about new , user friendly stuff that "just works" , but I can't recall the last time I couldn't simply just install and use an update as soon as it was launched:(

Hands0n
20th October 2009, 05:33 PM
@miffed - the problem is that we've been spoiled rotten by Apple's trailblazing yet again.

When Apple release their new code it is global and it is on the due date, without fail so far.

Google, for whatever reason/s, release their code by country or region which is why the US get theirs earlier. Then when the release date arrives the service appears to release the code OTA on some random basis (it probably isn't random at all). But that means that it takes days, if not weeks, for a region to be updated, and all of the stuff that we are witnessing right now.

I doubt whether Google can change their distribution paradigm to match Apple's but it does seem that, right now at least, the Android release mechanism is inferior to Apple's. OTA is all very well and nice, but if you can't get the software on the day it is released then what is the point? I would rather have to tether to my Mac/PC to update than play this waiting game.

NB: There is a link put out for the HTC Magic update to Donut 1.6 for the Vodafone handsets. It is http://android.clients.google.com/updates/vfpioneer/signed-vfpioneer-DRC92-from-CRC1.6068d598.zip - and follow the instructions above as for the G1 to load it into the HTC Magic. But I have to state that I have not tried this out on my HTC Magic.

I'm reasonably certain this file is the correct one android.clients.google.com/updates/vfpioneer/signed-vfpioneer-DRC92-from-CRC1.6068d598.zip - I'm just a bit suspicious of the bold part of the filename. In the G1 it is kila_eu - the vfpioneer sounds plausible though... but I hate making such assumptions.

Hands0n
20th October 2009, 06:11 PM
@miffed - I went and done it ... applied the update linked to above and ... it worked just fine :D its safe.

I'm now busy exploring around Donut 1.6 on the Magic and can put down the G1 again :cool:

Hands0n
20th October 2009, 07:56 PM
I was busy looking for something else when I came across this. It is a schedule for OTA of Google Android Cupcake 1.5 that happened earlier this year. The logic may be there to see but it eludes me ...

Google will push the MR OTA to 0.10% starting Thursday, May 14th

5% of the G1 population will be offered Cupcake/ Android 1.5 on Monday, May 18th.
15% of the G1 population will be offered Cupcake/ Android 1.5 on Tuesday, May 19th.
30% of the G1 population will be offered Cupcake/ Android 1.5 on Wednesday, May 20th.
45% of the G1 population will be offered Cupcake/ Android 1.5 on Thursday, May 21st.
60% of the G1 population will be offered Cupcake/ Android 1.5 on Friday, May 22nd.
75% of the G1 population will be offered Cupcake/ Android 1.5 on Saturday, May 23rd.
90% of the G1 population will be offered Cupcake/ Android 1.5 on Sunday, May 24th.
100% of the G1 population will be offered Cupcake/ Android 1.5 on Monday, May 25th.

All new devices will receive the OTA three days after activation.

NB: Vodafone sent me a peep to say that the Donut 1.6 update runs from 19 - 27 October inclusive... That kind of fits in with the way they pushed out Cupcake

miffed
20th October 2009, 09:44 PM
Grrr . .. Trying to install from the guide -
How do I get Alt-L on the Magic Hands0n ? :(

miffed
20th October 2009, 10:00 PM
Ah , I've got it now , thanks

*mumbles* ....better than waiting around for google to get their bloody finger out :mad:

Not a lot different from what I can see , ah well !

getti
20th October 2009, 10:03 PM
Can someone take a photo of the new Market using a camera and post it up. Supposed to look much better.

I have the 1.6 file for the G1 thanks to this thread and will be updating the unlocked work G1 tomorrow when I get in.

Hands0n
20th October 2009, 10:42 PM
Best do a google for a picture - try this for size :) http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=donut+android+market&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=

Now here's the astonishing bit - Screen Capture is not in-built on Android as it is in the iPhone. Worse still, there are a very limited number of methods because, wait for it, Android needs to be rooted or the user has to make use of the SDK to run a tool that will capture the screen.

Now, reading this, can anyone recall how much Ben, others and myself bang on incessantly about the iPhone "Experience" (no apology for the capital E)? Well, this is a classic example. Here you have the closest threat to the Apple's iPhone and its OS X - and it cannot perform a simple task like screen capture without resorting to SDK or complex rooting processes.

Contrast this with the iPhone (for those who don't know) - all you do is hold Power and Press Home at whichever screen it is you want to capture and the full quality image is captured and popped into your photo album on the iPhone. From there you can email, mms, MobileMe, assign to a contact or use as wallpaper.

For as long as this kind of thing happens the industry, wholesale, is handing the golden goose over to Apple on a silver platter.

Hands0n
20th October 2009, 10:48 PM
Grrr . .. Trying to install from the guide -
How do I get Alt-L on the Magic Hands0n ? :(

Sorry about that - the original instrux were for a G1 that has a mechanical keyboard.

To get the Alt+L on a touchscreen-only device use Power+Menu buttons, then use the scrollbutton to highlight the option you want and click it.

I've edited the earlier post to reflect this in case we get another Android user on the forum :D :D :D

Hands0n
20th October 2009, 11:07 PM
Not a lot different from what I can see , ah well !

Yea, it isn't "a lot" different, the changes are fairly subtle and not of interest to everyone. The few that stand out for me in particular include these:-

Quick Search Bar - if you have location services turned on its quite handy
Camera/Camcorder/Gallery - nicely linked and very quick and easy to use now
VPN - for the first time on Android, I use it on my iPhone and Laptops when out
WiFi - extended the security options to include WPA2, WPA-EAP and IEEE 802.1x (Enterprise-class WiFi support)
Android Market - much friendlier and easier to navigate and find apps
Lag reduced - noticeably swifter response to touchscreen actions, lag and lock-ups significantly reduced
Browser faster - the Android browser has come in for a lot of criticism, in 1.6 is it much faster

There are other bits and pieces in the OS update, but none of them are of very much significance to me.

Ben
21st October 2009, 05:08 PM
How well does an Android handset fit into an otherwise Apple eco-system? Is it very Mac friendly? :S

miffed
21st October 2009, 05:41 PM
Well , TBH it is for me , but it doesn't really have to be !

I am not really using the Magic for music / Video etc - so all it needs to do is calender , contacts and mail

The Magic syncs with Google , and the Mac syncs with google , everything is always in sync !
Any files I want to copy across are simply done via SD card

Hands0n
21st October 2009, 08:35 PM
How well does an Android handset fit into an otherwise Apple eco-system? Is it very Mac friendly? :S

Fits like a glove, I'd say :)

When you plug the Android into a Mac (or PC) it will ask ("Notify" in Android parlance) you if you want to 'mount' the SD. Tap 'Yes' and it will appear on your computer as an external SD drive with folders and files as you may expect. Placing content is as simple as the usual drag & drop that we've all become accustomed to.

If you want to get truly sexy with Android then grab yourself a copy of DoubleTwist (http://www.doubletwist.com/dt/Home/Index.dt) that will make handling media with an Android a complete snip as it integrates nicely with iTunes on the Mac (and I dare say the PC too). Right now DoubleTwist is free, but there will be a Premium version out in time - it is a very capable piece of media handling software that handles a host of different handsets.

I think Miffed has the sync bits covered off completely - the only addition I can make is that MobileMe syncing to Google Calendar, Mail and Contacts ensures that the Android is fully sync'd up with the entire Mac ecosystem. By way of this I have iPhone, Android, Macs and MobileMe all in total sync.

Its all very cool really :)

Dregun
23rd October 2009, 12:04 PM
@miffed - the problem is that we've been spoiled rotten by Apple's trailblazing yet again.

When Apple release their new code it is global and it is on the due date, without fail so far.

Google, for whatever reason/s, release their code by country or region which is why the US get theirs earlier. Then when the release date arrives the service appears to release the code OTA on some random basis (it probably isn't random at all). But that means that it takes days, if not weeks, for a region to be updated, and all of the stuff that we are witnessing right now.

I doubt whether Google can change their distribution paradigm to match Apple's but it does seem that, right now at least, the Android release mechanism is inferior to Apple's. OTA is all very well and nice, but if you can't get the software on the day it is released then what is the point? I would rather have to tether to my Mac/PC to update than play this waiting game.

NB: There is a link put out for the HTC Magic update to Donut 1.6 for the Vodafone handsets. It is http://android.clients.google.com/updates/vfpioneer/signed-vfpioneer-DRC92-from-CRC1.6068d598.zip - and follow the instructions above as for the G1 to load it into the HTC Magic. But I have to state that I have not tried this out on my HTC Magic.

I'm reasonably certain this file is the correct one android.clients.google.com/updates/vfpioneer/signed-vfpioneer-DRC92-from-CRC1.6068d598.zip - I'm just a bit suspicious of the bold part of the filename. In the G1 it is kila_eu - the vfpioneer sounds plausible though... but I hate making such assumptions.

I've followed the link and instructions perfectly but when I have to boot my phone back up, I get the Vodafone screen, then a Triangle with a ! in the centre and a picture of the HTC magic as well. I try to do Power + Menu but nothing seems to happen; In fact, to do anything at all I have to remove the battery and boot it up normally.

help please :(

Cheers, Dregun.

Hands0n
23rd October 2009, 08:15 PM
Sorry I made a typo in the original ... here's the steps again (correct)

1. Copy file to sd card, rename to update.zip
2. turn phone off, then hold the home button and press the power button, wait till u get the excalmation mark triangle
3. press home plus power button simultaneously.
4 choose apply update.
5 restart after update is complete

Please let me know how you get on ..

Dregun
23rd October 2009, 09:51 PM
Sorry I made a typo in the original ... here's the steps again (correct)

1. Copy file to sd card, rename to update.zip
2. turn phone off, then hold the home button and press the power button, wait till u get the excalmation mark triangle
3. press home plus power button simultaneously.
4 choose apply update.
5 restart after update is complete

Please let me know how you get on ..

Worked perfectly, thank you for the reply :D

Hands0n
24th October 2009, 01:41 AM
Excellent - glad it worked okay. There have been some funnies going on - but I think these have mostly been with Androids that have been updated with non-standard ROMs

Enjoy your Donut ;)