View Full Version : T-Mobile: we probably lost all your Sidekick data

Hands0n
10th October 2009, 09:55 PM
Hot off the press ... it seems that a total disaster has occurred.

It is all very well for companies to start selling "Cloud Computing" this and next year's buzz-phrase that we'll be heartily sick of pretty soon. But they have to provide some world-class support and protection of the data that they are to be custodians of. For any Cloud company to put it's customers data into such risk of total loss is appalling, and I would contend, illegal. For if it isn't exactly illegal then it should be - and firms should be at risk of huge fines for losing customer data like this.

I do not believe, for one moment, that industry can regulate itself. That has been shown over and over again as history repeats itself. There is little to no commercial imperative for industry to behave any more appropriately than it needs to. Maximum financial gain will always be graded higher than the risk to the customer.

If Cloud Computing is ever to gain a widespread public acceptance then this must be the last time, ever, that such a catastrophic loss occurs.

Fortunately, the largest Cloud Computing organisation [Google] appears to be taking the appropriate safeguarding steps - because that is all that it has to trade with. If their reputation at Cloud became damaged that would be the end for that particular part of industry. The people would never trust them again - well, at least I wouldn't :p

So, was T-Mobile complacent and careless? You be the judge.

Well, this is shaping up to be one of the biggest disasters in the history of cloud computing, and certainly the largest blow to Danger and the Sidekick platform: T-Mobile's now reporting that personal data stored on Sidekicks has "almost certainly has been lost as a result of a server failure at Microsoft/Danger." They're still looking for a way to recover it, but they're not giving users a lot of hope -- meanwhile, servers are still on the fritz and customers are being advised not to let their devices power down because anything that's still on there will be lost the next time the device is turned on. Another communique is promised from T-Mobile on Monday to give everyone a status update on the recovery efforts, but at this point, it's not looking good at all.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/10/t-mobile-we-probably-lost-all-your-sidekick-data/

Ben
11th October 2009, 02:23 AM
Wow. Nice advert for Microsoft backend there!

gorilla
11th October 2009, 10:58 AM
Steps to defend cloud computing...

A ha, but cloud computing does not mean that you only backup in the one place. I have photos stored all over the place, about 5 email accounts that have the same 'crucial' emails and I'm about to add dropbox into the mix. If backing up is important to you, then have at least one external hard drive with your data on it (not at your house) and also back up online as well.

Let's be honest here, can you see google / apple / amazon having the same problems quoted above?

Ben
12th October 2009, 10:29 AM
I can't believe the devices don't keep a permanent copy of the data? Apparently it's all stored in RAM. Surely pulling all of the user data from 'the cloud' on every boot is rather inefficient?

gorilla
12th October 2009, 08:47 PM
Was reading about this on mashable. I couldn't stop smiling. They (MS / Danger) should get sued rotten!

Although would you trust your data to a company called "Danger"? Might have to tweet that @iChrisTaylor (shameless plug!)

Hands0n
12th October 2009, 10:46 PM
I can't believe the devices don't keep a permanent copy of the data? Apparently it's all stored in RAM. Surely pulling all of the user data from 'the cloud' on every boot is rather inefficient?

Ah, but isn't the thing about cloud that you do exactly that? No local storage of data, the "file" is kept in the cloud. All you get to do is to view/edit/print/forward it. Exactly as Google Office does today.

The problem is not so much that the system failure occurred at all, that is completely to be anticipated. But it is completely unforgivable for the data to be irretrievably lost.