View Full Version : Google to crash Android party?

Hands0n
22nd October 2009, 12:03 AM
Could this possibly be true? Would Google really take on the world's mobile network opertors? Would the MNOs really care even?

NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Move over, Apple (AAPL Quote), Research In Motion (RIMM Quote) and Motorola (MOT Quote), Google (GOOG Quote) is jumping into the smartphone market with an Android phone of its own.

In what is likely to be seen as disruptive to the wireless status quo, Google is working with a smartphone manufacturer to have a Google-branded phone available this year through retailers and not through telcos, according to Northeast Securities analyst Ashok Kumar, who has talked to Google's design partners about the plan.

The move would fulfill Google's pledge to bring a new generation of open-standard mobile Internet devices to consumers. By bypassing the carriers, who keep tight controls over the features and applications that are allowed on phones, Google will presumably offer a device that lets users determine the functions.

Both the Chrome netbook and the Android phone will use Qualcomm (QCOM Quote) chips, with the netbook running on Qualcomm's Snapdragon platform, says Kumar, who has discussed the plan with original design manufacturers working with Google.

Android's Mobile Land Grab

If talk of the Google phone plan is true, the entrance of a unlocked, low-cost, Web-friendly touchscreen device will probably undercut other Android phone efforts by players like Motorola, Samsung and Dell (DELL Quote).

Motorola's entire turnaround strategy is based on the Android operating system. The company is expected to announce a ultra-thin Droid phone at Verizon (VZ Quote) next month. Both Verizon and Motorola expect the Sholes/Droid phone to be a significant challenger to Apple's iPhone.

Dell is also working on an Android smartphone, which is expected to be ready early next year at AT&T (T Quote).

Skeptics point out that Google might have a hard time getting the phone out in time for the holidays, since it typically takes a year or more to bring a phone from design to production.
Industry analysts also argue that the move would be an affront to the U.S. carriers like Verizon, AT&T, Sprint (S Quote) and Deutsche Telekom's (DT Quote) T-Mobile, outfits that have been supporting the Android effort by selling or planning to sell subsidized devices.

"It's a bit of a departure from Google's strategy, but I think the speculation is valid," says Michael Cote of the Cote Collaborative. And as for getting the phone to the market quickly, Google "would probably use a partner they are familiar with."

HTC, the first developer of an Android phone, is also a no stranger to Qualcomm chips and would be the most likely manufacturer able to give Google what it wanted fast.

If Google goes through with the plan, it would point to how eager the Internet ad giant is to get Android in as many hands as possible so it can extend its search business beyond desktop computers to mobile devices. Going around phone companies to reach consumers is a bold move, but Google no doubt sees the wireless Internet market as a land-grab race with Apple, Nokia (NOK Quote) and Microsoft (MSFT Quote).

Google also has plans with computer maker Quanta to build its own netbooks that will run on a Linux-based Google Chrome operating system and be available next summer, says Kumar.

Representatives for Google, HTC and Quanta were not immediately available for comment.

Google shares were down 0.8% to $547.78 in recent trading.

Source: http://www.thestreet.com/story/10614007/1/exclusive-google-to-crash-android-party.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEFI

Ben
22nd October 2009, 10:40 AM
They've got to be careful. I absolutely want to see Google branded gear available in retail stores, and not via carriers/tied to contracts, but Android still needs other manufacturers and the mobile operators to make it work. Companies like Motorola could get spooked if, like the old Nokia/Symbian arrangement, Google becomes an OEM in its own right.

There should be room for everyone, though.

gorilla
22nd October 2009, 10:59 AM
This is exactly where the industry is heading IMO. Google will sell the handset for very little just so they can get people using the mobile interent and they can expose users to more ads.

How about this for a fremium model: free ad supported handset unlocked to any network or a premium version without ads for a subscription of £4 per month. Ok I'm dreaming, but you never know!!

If you look around owning a mobile phone is becoming more expensive, typically a nominal fee for the handset on a £35 per month tariff and contracts are typically 18-24 months. If google enter the handset market, with something similar to the HTC Hero and it's cheap to buy unlocked, that will really put the cat among the pigeons.

I'm hoping that Dell will sell an Android device sim free and at low cost. I would really like to see mobile phone contracts being all about the service and not about the hardware that comes with the contract. I would like to see consumers buy the phone separate from the contract. But that's just me and I know for many people that's just not feasible today or at any time.

The more I here about Android in the news, the more I want one! Does that mean I'm not happy with the iPhone?

Hands0n
22nd October 2009, 07:37 PM
I am in two minds here. A big part of me thinks that this would be a very good thing to happen. It would, for the first time in the UK, be possible to split contract from handset. And isn't that, in a way, what the mobile operators are preparing us for with the advent of the 30-day SIM-only deal?

Imagine, then, a near future where you buy the handset of your choice (or find it in the bottom of the Corn Flakes box) and couple it to the 30-day SIM of your choice. In reality, we're already there, but its not entire affordable to the masses because SIM-free handsets still command a huge premium up-front cost.

In the place we're contemplating here that premium handset cost disappears. But will the other manufacturers be able to compete with a Google handset?

@Gorilla - I don't think its so much that you're unhappy with your iPhone - more that the Android is a compelling product. A different presentation of much that the iPhone already is.

Ben
22nd October 2009, 07:52 PM
The more I here about Android in the news, the more I want one! Does that mean I'm not happy with the iPhone?
Same here, purely because of my desire to play with new phones, though, I guess. I mean, damn, I've been an iPhoner for about 14 months now.

This is a guy who used to get a new handset every 6 months on average.