View Full Version : Nokia suing Apple over the iPhone

Ben
23rd October 2009, 12:55 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8321058.stm

Nokia, the world's biggest mobile phone maker, has said that it is suing its US rival Apple for infringing patents on mobile phone technology for the iPhone.

Nokia said it had not been compensated for its technology, and accused Apple of "trying to get a free ride on the back of Nokia's innovation".

The 10 alleged patent infringements involve wireless data, speech coding, security and encryption.
Lovely. This one could get nasty :) Despite the iPhone being lightyears apart from any Nokia, it's not difficult to imagine that a great many of the low level 'mechanisms' are patented by Nokia given that they've been making phones for, oh, ever!

Hands0n
23rd October 2009, 09:24 PM
This is going to be an interesting little spat. A European manufacturer taking on an American manufacturer on the latter's own soil. My money isn't on the European!

Seriously though - I can't see how Nokia are going to try and grab things like security, encryption and speech coding - not even wireless data. Unless they're laying claim to life, the universe and everything!!

solo12002
23rd October 2009, 09:34 PM
I wonder if Nokia would of been going down this route if they had not been losing money. secondly I wounder why they have takes so long if they were so worried about copy right etc, they should of done this from day one. Silly little twats if you ask me.

They be better of designing a phone and updating their OS so that ppl feel as if they are getting something good rather than the same old crap!

miffed
23rd October 2009, 09:45 PM
I can't see Apple having a leg to stand on if firmware bugs are one of the IP's being claimed