View Full Version : iPhone officially unlocked in November?

Ben
24th October 2009, 10:44 PM
So, today brought word that the iPhone could be officially unlocked for under twenty quid this November. How does that affect your plans?

I think I'll open a new Vodafone SIM-Only contract and finally port my work/main number into it (time to stop redirecting!). With a data bundle I should be set, the only question remaining is: will Visual Voicemail work on Vodafone yet/ever?

My O2 contract probably isn't up until the new year, but I think the improved coverage Vodafone brings to the table should make the switch worthwhile. I'm not nuts about Vodafone's data offering, but when I actually look at my data usage the iPhone isn't actually that hungry unless you're streaming media.

getti
24th October 2009, 10:55 PM
I hope you can unlock PAYG ones. I would have no issues handing over £440 on payday to get a O2 one if i can unlock it when the unlock becomes available

Ben
25th October 2009, 12:21 AM
Yeah me too, technically my 3GS is PAYG so I would imagine that makes it entirely unlockable. But who knows.

It's not like O2 is horrific... but yeah, Vodafone is better.

Hands0n
25th October 2009, 09:37 AM
My eldest daughter has been running an unlocked iPhone 3GS on Vodafone and it is so well suited to that network. She gets HSPA speeds where I can only limp along on EDGE (at best).

iPhone on Vodafone is going to be a delightful [network] experience.

gorilla
25th October 2009, 11:20 AM
You should put a poll up asking how many are going to get their iPhone unlocked. Even if I was to stay with O2, I'd still be getting it unlocked.

My plan is to get it unlocked as soon as possible, insert a few PAYG sim cards and trial other networks.

I wonder if future iPhone's will be sold unlocked?

Hands0n
25th October 2009, 11:34 AM
You should put a poll up asking how many are going to get their iPhone unlocked. Even if I was to stay with O2, I'd still be getting it unlocked.

My plan is to get it unlocked as soon as possible, insert a few PAYG sim cards and trial other networks.

Done :) Here --> https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7384

Ben
25th October 2009, 02:01 PM
Hm, good question. I reckon they'll still be sold locked to the network that supplies them, to be honest. The networks will want to keep at least a small hurdle in place.

gorilla
25th October 2009, 06:01 PM
But what about Apple? They are now in a strong position and let's face it there are plenty of fanboys who will stump up the cash to buy the iPhone direct from Apple. Apple could sell it at a premium over the networks, unlocked and (combined) still shift millions of handsets over all.

Hands0n
25th October 2009, 07:30 PM
But Apple already do sell the iPhone directly. The current arrangement for O2's PAYG is exactly that. And on PAYG there is no subsidy - so the buyer is paying full price.

Just as long as Apple don't get greedy and discriminate against locked and unlocked PAYG, charging a premium for the latter.