View Full Version : Will you get your iPhone officially unlocked?

Hands0n
25th October 2009, 11:28 AM
The rumour meter is well in the red right now that O2 will officially unlock iPhones from November when the exclusivity deal expires and iPhone is available on other networks. Most notably Orange first, then Vodafone in 2010.

O2's own MD has said that the company will unlock iPhones for £15 with an upto 28-day lead time.

And so Gorilla asks (https://talk3g.co.uk/showpost.php?p=35936&postcount=5) who is going to get their iPhone unlocked.

Cast your vote in this poll and tell us why (either way).

Hands0n
25th October 2009, 11:33 AM
I voted "Yes" because I want to be open to all and any options.

The chances are that if I do go to Vodafone that I will want to take my 3GS with me. It is only a few months old and works like a charm. Although I am mindful that I could always get a brand new 3GS as part of the move across to Vodafone and then sell the existing 3GS on eBay to help recover some of the initial outlay.

Either way, the 3GS is getting unlocked as soon as I possibly can get it done.

@NickyColman
25th October 2009, 12:12 PM
I too voted YES

Soon as the option is available I'm going to get a 3, -T-Mobile, Orange & Vodafone pay & go sim card and test the ass off them until i find the one that gives me perfect coverage at work.

I cant wait!!! :D

Ben
25th October 2009, 02:00 PM
As the unlock would be 'official' I'll definitely be doing it, even if I wasn't leaving O2 - just that freedom to play would be nice =)

As it happens I'm 99% certain that I'll be on Vodafone SIM Only pretty frickin' fast.

chagle
25th October 2009, 02:26 PM
The chances are that if I do go to Vodafone that I will want to take my 3GS with me. It is only a few months old and works like a charm. Although I am mindful that I could always get a brand new 3GS as part of the move across to Vodafone and then sell the existing 3GS on eBay to help recover some of the initial outlay.

Are you saying that O2 might unlock phone's that are still in contract? :confused:

miffed
25th October 2009, 03:34 PM
Might do it just for the hell of it , but I have no problems with o2 anyway

Would be handy I suppose to be able to chuck any SIM in it

Hands0n
25th October 2009, 03:54 PM
Are you saying that O2 might unlock phone's that are still in contract? :confused:

Yes, O2 usually supply their contract handsets unlocked. It was only the iPhone that they locked to maintain their edge and stop people wandering off with their shiny new hardware :)

Ben
25th October 2009, 05:03 PM
Lets hope that's the case, anyway. I mean, surely PAYG will be unlockable, which should mean my 3GS hops over to Vodafone without any aggro, but I suppose it's not impossible that O2 will only unlock at the end of a contract for contract handsets like my 3G.

Pretty sure they'll allow anyone to unlock, though, I mean if you're under contract then they're going to make their money off of you anyways.

Who'd have thought it... years ago all the excitement was in getting a new phone. These days we're excited about moving our old phones to a new network!

And, tbh, shame on Vodafone for not securing exclusivity in the first place. I appreciate not everyone will be going to Vodafone, lol, but lets face it - the iPhone on Vodafone would have been better for more people than the O2 arrangement.

Hands0n
25th October 2009, 05:34 PM
According to Orange the pre-registrations for their iPhone are in the hundreds of thousands!

On the basis that I can spit as far as my local Vodafone transmitter if the wind is blowing in the right direction I'd say that my choice of network is a complete no-brainer :)

a_ukboy
25th October 2009, 05:56 PM
I'm unlocking mine, just due to the poor performance of the network just lately, already ordered my orange sim only but not overly keen on the data offerings, went with Orange cause they have coverage where I need it..

gorilla
25th October 2009, 05:58 PM
If and it's a big IF, O2 do not unlock the PAYG 3GS, then I'm afraid that I'll be moving to a new network and Android in the new year!

I'm confidant that vodafone will tick all the boxes for me. Trying to think what would keep me on O2, maybe my existing tariff reduced to about £15 per month. I will after all being taking out a sim only deal for around £20 per month, on a network that supports 3G :p

Heidi
25th October 2009, 08:51 PM
im going to be indifferent for now :) Wellll until Ben makes me do it ;)

Anyway o2 works for me atm better than Voda ever did ......but hey never say never

The Mullet of G
4th November 2009, 10:52 PM
I don't own an iPhone, but if I did then I'd probably go down the unofficial route, as thats just how I roll.....also I'm Scottish and impatient, so £15 and 28 days are numbers that don't appeal to me much. :)

3g-g
5th November 2009, 11:04 PM
I'm thinking yes to an unlock, be it official or otherwise... the wife has already hinted at taking/wanting an iPhone, so I could just fire her Orange SIM into it... however, it's still a few months 'till contract end... I wouldn't want to take a 3GS on O2/OUK/Voda for Apple to fire out a new iPhone and I'm stuck with an ageing 3GS for 18 months!