View Full Version : E1000 On 3 (Opinions Needed)

getti
6th June 2005, 09:00 PM
I am SERIOUSLY thinking about getting a E1000 on Threepay this Friday when i get paid.

The main reasons are Threepay is VERY cheap and i also get FULL 3G coverage now where I live.

I like the LG phones but no bluetooth and no expandable memory put me off. What id like to know is peoples opinions of this handset on the Three network.

I have a Vodafone one to review which must go back soon but some things are different.

Also the facing camera is positioned at an angle. How much does this effect video calling quality?

Thanks

Hands0n
6th June 2005, 11:01 PM
If you're flash with the cash then go get one. You won't look back. And if you later want to go elsewhere you could always have it unlocked and de-branded (i.e. SIM-free) by some smart cookie on eBay (I can't do Motorola just yet!).

The E1000 is a stonking phone on 3 (I am on contract and it was the phone that drew me to that decision at the time!). It correctly handles the 3 network (3G and 2.5G with O2). Call quality is superb, call handling is spot on. The phone rocks!

Videocall is fine - as good as can be expected. The camera angle is not a spoiler for videocall and is better placed than the LG in my opinion (I have both). The camera angle does not affect the VC quality at all - when you frame your face in the camera the display screen is perfectly angled to see the other party very clearly too.

Bluetooth is spot on - it works, and works well - but I am running it with a Motorola BT headset as I don't like the flimsyness of the crop of BT headsets (i.e. I'm on my 3rd Logitech with my other phone, ear loops breaks within weeks!).

Most importantly - 3's branding and crippling of the E1000 is limited. There are some annoyances like not being able to BT files about (you can only email or MMS those that are not locked). None of the burned in browser shortcuts work - and you can't delete/edit/replace them, all you can do is add your own shortcuts (i.e. to My3) so the menu is cluttered with dead shortcuts - nice one 3.

If I was buying now I'd probably have gone for an E1000 on Threepay rather than Contract.

HTH :)

@NickyColman
6th June 2005, 11:29 PM
Im afraid i disagree with Hands0n with regards to the ME1000. I bought a one on contract before christmas and by 19th of January i had bought a new phone simply because I hated the phone.

I dont no whether or not you have seen the quality of the pictures the ME1000 takes but in my opinion they are atrocious for a supposed 1.3 mega-pixel camera! The colours and sharpness are completely unsatisfactory and i would say im quite good at taking shots on a camera phone too!

Video calling is good, but yes Ghetti your right when you say the foward facing camera is positioned at an angle! It is and during a video call it "flips" your picture so your affectively being in a mirror! it also looks at one side of your head at all times which gets quite annoying.

Bluetooth on the phone is awkward and slow! My sisters nokia 6230 runs circles round the ME1000 for speed and reliability! Also i complete hate the way Motorola have made Bluetooth become "invisible" after a minute!! Highly annoying if your getting things transferred from someone from bluetooth!

Video recording is excellent on the phone! If not a bit grayish! But the fullscreen feature is brilliant!

Listening to mp3s and other sounds on the phone are really good too! i really enjoyed it

Battery power. . . . .where do i start?! In comparison to my 6680 is was TERRIBLE!! I used to go out at 8 in the morning and come in at 5 and have to quickly run upstairs to put it on charge before it died on me!

The screen is....mediocre to say the least! Its big and has an excellent resolution, but its not as vibrant as some other Motos out there!

The user interface is just pants! Big fat granny pants! Its a typical moto! Menus dont make much sense, and they are awkward at times! Add this to 3's branding of the handset and it all just makes a sorry affair!

In my opinion, i would seriously recommend AGAINST buying this phone ESPECIALLY on Three!

Hands0n
6th June 2005, 11:44 PM
Hee hee Getti - go shake the rats out of that particular sack then mate :) Let us know what you decide on in the end.

@Bleubean - I'm surprised at your comment about the 1.3Mp camera as I find the one on my E1000 is very good indeed, certainly better than any of the phonecams I've had to date including my SPV C-500 which is the best I've had so far. I'd rate it with any other fixed focus 1.3Mp regular camera at the mo. No discolouration apparent at all. Moto handsets do seem to inspire a love/hate relationship - I didn't like them at all until the E1000 :eek:

Please don't talk to me about the 6680 - I'm twitchy enough as it is and just have to hold out until November when I can upgrade on Orange! Feb 2005 will see my E1000 become debranded and SIM-free :D

@NickyColman
6th June 2005, 11:47 PM
LOL @ hands0n! Yes, unfortunately the camera was very disapointing to the level i am used too! I found it just completely unacceptable! especially how the handset was supposedly the flagship handset of the time! I moved to a SonyEricsson s700i! and the difference between those two cameras was outstanding! Yet both are 1.3mp!

getti
7th June 2005, 12:01 AM
How much memory have you guys used on your phones? I didnt know if 32mb was enough because if it was i might go for the LG as its £30 cheaper

Hands0n
7th June 2005, 06:27 AM
I am using a 256MB Transflash in mine to store my own video/image/audio. The on-board memory fills up quickly with 3 content, espesh pop video files running at over 3MB each. Bt for the £30 quid diff I'd [personally] still go for the E1000, it is much more capable and the full screen video capability is a big plus. But it is a very personal choice, like I said above, Motos do seem to inspire a distinct love/hate :)

getti
7th June 2005, 12:26 PM
If i remember right anything you download from 3 is locked so you cant copy onto a memory card which is a shame

Hands0n
7th June 2005, 08:34 PM
Correctamundo :(

blocker
13th June 2005, 11:24 AM
swap my e1000 for any working nokia* on three?

* by any working nokia i mean one pref with a camera like the 7250 will do