View Full Version : Motorola Dext Android smartphone

Ben
29th October 2009, 05:08 PM
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/10/29/review_phone_motorola_dext_mb200_android_smartphon e/

The Register scores this handset the same as the iPhone 3GS. While I doubt that's an accurate comparison between the two devices, the Dext is obviously a good phone.

But do you want one?

Hands0n
30th October 2009, 01:47 AM
The Dext is certainly interesting - I'd probably have one SIM-free. But the chances of me signing up with Orange ever again are as slim as me signing up with 3.

I also wonder the wisdom of releasing the Dext and the Droid in the same month, albeit on different networks. The Droid spec seems awesome by comparison with the Dext.

gorilla
31st October 2009, 10:41 AM
Do you think the ordinary punter goes into Phones4U and asks what Android phones they have?
Are we at that stage yet where new phones being sold are smartphones, or is it still feature led?

Hands0n
31st October 2009, 11:09 AM
I don't think people do that at all - unless they are tech savvy, which I suppose 99.99% of the population are not!! I'm constantly amazed at how non-savvy the tech guys are where I work. Some of the finest development brains, and near-zero knowledge of the mobile handset/broadband market. And even less about the network operators themselves!! One lad even eschews end-of-contract upgrades, even though he's been loyal to the same network for almost a decade! Also you wouldn't believe the number of very un-cool handsets around the floor. Although there are a few iPhones and a couple of Androids appearing (HTC Magic and Samsung OLED thing).

Ask me in a couple of months about P4U - my eldest is just about to start working for them over the Christmas period in November with a view to going permanent...

Ben
31st October 2009, 11:11 AM
I think demand is probably still feature led. Commission is still probably the biggest factor, though, along with subsidy - it's very difficult to trust phone shops. Hopefully subsidy on 'smartphones' is high given the extra revenue generation potential for the mobile operators, but you never know what they'll decide is an attractive device on any given day!

Ben
26th November 2009, 12:37 PM
http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile-phones/review/2009/11/25/Motorola-Dext-Android-Smartphone/p1

Trusted Reviews seems to view the handset as a bit of a disappointment. Reading the review, I'd be inclined to agree. I wonder what The Register were smoking? :)