View Full Version : Orange UK iPhone pricing announced

Ben
2nd November 2009, 12:33 PM
http://interest.orange.co.uk/?linkfrom=hp4&link=hero_pos_1_link_1&article=091102x0830x2herocommsiphonelaunchdateisre vealed

Nothing exciting, as far as I can tell. FUP of 750MB on the 'unlimited' data, with the most popular (I assume) £35pm tariff practically identical to O2's.

Did we honestly expect the operators to compete? ;)

Still, choice is good. Roll on Vodafone is all I can say.

miffed
2nd November 2009, 12:58 PM
I thought there was no FUP on o2 ?

chaslam
2nd November 2009, 01:30 PM
How can they expect people to pay £30 a month for 150 mins and 250 texts, and then pay if you want it on an 18 month contract? Thats absolutely crazy prices. I would have thought the whole point in other networks getting the iphone is that it would drive the cost down. No doubt Apple had some part in all this ludicrous pricing. If I had been waiting for the iphone on Orange for 2 years, I would be very annoyed right now.

Hands0n
2nd November 2009, 01:30 PM
The FUP on O2 is something like 1GB but they don't make a song and dance about it. And afaik there is no FUP on the WiFi except to say that it is for personal use only, and then only used by the iPhone itself yadda yadda yadda.

Orange have the 750MB "Unlimited" FUP in place for mobile data as well as WiFi.

MacFormat did a TCO analysis and came up with a 63p saving across the entire life of the contract if you go with Orange http://www.macformat.co.uk/blog/save-63p-orange-02-11-09

miffed
2nd November 2009, 02:22 PM
I seem to remember a huge song and dance being made of the fact that O2 WEREN'T imposing an FUP ?

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/3279-o2-to-include-truly-unlimited-data-with-iphone.html

Unless things have changed since iPhone 1 ?

Hands0n
2nd November 2009, 03:19 PM
O2 do have an "excessive use" policy which is a somewhat different proposition to Fair Use Policy. It does appear to be a huge amount of data for a handset to consume - and going by my own use it is way in excess of anything I ever need.

Their iPhone T&Cs state (http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/iphone )

Included Unlimited Wi-Fi and Web Bolt Ons for iPhone Customers only

The Unlimited Wi-Fi and Web Bolt On is included at no extra cost for customers connecting or upgrading to any iPhone tariff until further notice. O2 reserves the right to withdraw or amend this offer at any time on reasonable notice. Participating customers will receive 30 days notice via text message if changes are made to their disadvantage. Excessive usage policy applies see Data Bolt Ons terms below.
b) unlimited Wi-Fi via The Cloud’s UK Wireless LAN network, (subject to excessive usage policy) for personal internet use via your modem or data card. Applies to use in the UK only. All usage must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes.
O2 Web Max Terms (for mobile phones and modems)

O2 Web Max allows you unlimited use of Telefónica O2 UK Limited's Edge/GPRS/3G networks (as applicable to your handset), for personal internet use via your mobile phone, modem or data card. All usage must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes. You may not use your SIM Card:

in, or connected to, any other device excluding modems/data cards;
to allow the continuous streaming of any audio / video content, enable Voice over Internet (Voip), P2P or file sharing; or
in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other O2 customers, including using an excessive volume of data as compared to the majority of users of O2 Web Max, which is currently more than 3GB of usage within a one month bill cycle.

If O2 reasonably suspects you are not acting in accordance with this policy O2 reserves the right to impose further charges, impose network protection controls which may reduce your speed of transmission, remove Web Max from your account or disconnect your tariff at any time, having attempted to contact you first.

So there you have it - the iPhone on O2 does have an "excessive use policy" as distinct from a FUP - but it is such a huge allowance that most people are very unlikely to hit it, ever!

gorilla
2nd November 2009, 03:47 PM
Well I wasn't really going to join orange anyway, but I think this just confirms it.

chagle
2nd November 2009, 08:04 PM
I have to admit I was shocked when I saw Orange's prices. I would have thought they would do a little better, but as previously said I guess Apple may have something to do with it.

Vodafone next... I wonder if they would be able to do a little better.

miffed
2nd November 2009, 08:16 PM
I have to admit I was shocked when I saw Orange's prices. I would have thought they would do a little better, but as previously said I guess Apple may have something to do with it.

Vodafone next... I wonder if they would be able to do a little better.

Certainly can't see that ! Vodafone customers are always more than happy to pay over the odds - I suspect there will be a premium on the Vodafone offerings.

getti
2nd November 2009, 09:08 PM
I had an email from Vodafone today

Hello Daniel, your iPhone is fast approaching.

Use the iPhone to its full potential.

We're really excited about bringing you the best iPhone experience. We want to make sure you can use your favourite apps and services when it suits you. Whether you're after music, news, maps or train times you want to be sure that they're all available at your fingertips.

In recent tests the Vodafone network provided connection to the internet 99% of the time*. And, Vodafone can give your home a great 3G signal on the iPhone with the fantastic Vodafone Access Gateway¹. You can also feel safe in the knowledge that we've been voted the best consumer mobile broadband by the UK internet industry. Take a look at www.ispaawards.org.uk for more information.

iPhone surprises at Vodafone
We'll be emailing you some iPhone surprises over the next few weeks. Keep an eye out for our essential iPhone guide, which will be helping you unlock the full potential of your iPhone on the Vodafone network.

You're probably keen to find out when you'll be able to get your iPhone on Vodafone and what offers will be available. By being registered you'll be one of the first to find out the latest information as and when it's available. Look out for more updates in your inbox soon.

We'll be in touch
Vodafone

With Orange and O2 selling the iPhone on PAYG i hope Vodafone do too

Ben
2nd November 2009, 09:09 PM
I'm impressed Vodafone took the opportunity to remind its base that the iPhone on Vodafone is coming. The last thing they want is Orange sucking in a load of customers on 24 month contracts only to come out with something better themselves when it's too late.

getti
2nd November 2009, 09:14 PM
I think that is why the email came out today

3GScottishUser
3rd November 2009, 06:56 PM
Can't see why anyone would rush to Orange for an iPhone.

Pretty high prices and 24 month contacts.

You would need to be an Orange die hard to buy those deals.

The big problem I suppose is the amount Orange and other networks have to pay Apple in terms of revenue sharing. This is a nice short term earner for Apple but is also the reason why they will very quickly lose the market share they have carved out for themselves.

The Apple benefits will be replicated by other hungry phone makers and will be provided to mobile ops without the revenue sharing requirements and the iPhone will fade into the distance. Unless of course Apple can come up with something better.

Hands0n
3rd November 2009, 07:10 PM
"... iPhone will fade into the distance"

Hold it right there a cotton pickin moment. That statement is classic FUD.

What will happen is this. The wider availability of the iPhone on other networks will boost take up of the iPhone. There are many who would not countenance using O2 and who have eschewed the iPhone in favour of another device on their favourite network. However, the desire for an iPhone has not diminished - as witnessed by the number of people signing up as "interested" on both Orange and Vodafone websites.

With the iPhone available on all of the UK networks we will see a greater number of 'legit' iPhones in circulation. This can only be good for Apple, of course - they are not a registered charity, as it will be for the networks previously denied the ability to carry the flagship handset.

The "other hungry phone makers" have still got some way to go to catch up, never mind overtake, the iPhone that is now in its third year. Yes, they are all trying as hard as they are able. But, to date, no manufacturer has actually hit the bar let alone exceeded it. That it will happen is a reasonable speculation. But lets not forget that Apple hold most of the chips - they have the knowhow behind the iPhone. The others are still furiously badgering away trying to develop that knowhow and turn it into the practical.

So far, Android the closest that it gets. And even then it is still some way behind the "experience". And that is the most difficult thing to get across, the experience.

A Nokia die-hard friend of mine wouldn't be swayed, he insisted on taking up the new N97 having gone through the N95 and N95-8GB experience (which weren't good in the early firmwares). Sure enough, the N97 arrived and as expected was something of a busted flush. After struggling and persisting with his N97 for three months he finally saw the light - put the N97 to rest on eBay and bought an iPhone PAYG, unlocked it and is now on Vodafone. The expression "As happy as a pig in poo" hardly does justice to his current mood. And he is repeatedly confirming to me his developing understanding of what "the experience" is all about.

3GScottishUser
26th November 2009, 06:59 PM
I think for as long as the iPhone remains a £35/month contract offering it'll remain a top end option restricted to those who have a substantial amount of disposable income. I know a lot of folks spend a lot more on PAYG etc but its the commitment at this level that is off putting for many, not to mention the credit requirement.

Talking to youngsters the iPhone does not seem to have captured their immagination as yet. Ones I have spoken to plan on getting SE Satio and Samsung handsets this year because of their impressive camera spec and perhaps style. The iPhone's killler 'apps' proposition has not yet captured the youth market, probably because the contract requirements are too heavy for most under 18s.

I am sure Vodafone, Orange and Tesco will retain rather than attract customers with iPhone offerings but I doubt if it's distribution on the additonal mob ops will deliver a huge increase in market penetration. I suspect most of those who wanted an iPhone will have moved to 02 to get one, such is the pull of the Apple branding/experience.

The mobile Internet has taken a leap forward thanks to dongles and the iPhone's apps and I'm sure Apple's extended distibution is an attempt to keep the current offering alive in the face of many alternatives which have similar attractions and that don't cost mob ops a revenue sharing penalty.

Apple better have something in the pipeline that is technically much improved on the 3GS if they want to retain their high spender user base and attract new customers.

Ben
26th November 2009, 09:40 PM
Satio is the one that has just been withdrawn from sale due to another deluge of bugs, right? God, kids must be mad if they still want Sony Ericsson's!

The iPhone is on PAYG remember, it's just expensive. Both my younger brothers want iPhones this Christmas.

Hands0n
27th November 2009, 06:55 PM
I think for as long as the iPhone remains a £35/month contract offering it'll remain a top end option restricted to those who have a substantial amount of disposable income.

Is this a North/South thing then? Because the £35/month contract is pretty much the norm across most all smartphones. The cheaper contracts bring in more basic handsets. Certainly, where mobile Internet connectivity is required that £35 tariff is omnipresent.

For example, the HTC Magic on Vodafone is £35 as is the iPhone on O2, as is the Satio and other sophisticated smartphones.

I really don't think that these handsets and tariffs are aimed at the kids, certainly not where the kids are having to fund the tariff themselves. Instead I am seeing the iPhone and its peers in the hands of what may be termed Dinkies (Dual Income No Kids) folk. Elder people also, typically on a higher income or with less residual debt around them.