View Full Version : Nokia to shut down N-Gage

Ben
2nd November 2009, 12:38 PM
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/11/02/nokia_n_gage_closure/

Admits iPhone and iPod Touch are the kings of casual mobile gaming?

I'm currently finding this one totally addictive: http://uw.a-steroids.com/

The Mullet of G
4th November 2009, 08:14 PM
This is actually great news, as the whole N-Gage thing is an embarrassment best forgotten...or at least an example well served on how not to do things. :)

Ben
4th November 2009, 09:26 PM
I thought it had so much promise when the first handset came out all those years ago, too :(

Hands0n
4th November 2009, 09:41 PM
I still have both of mine :D

The Mullet of G
4th November 2009, 10:05 PM
The first N-Gage did indeed have huge potential, I was genuinely impressed with Tomb Raider, Tony Hawk and Colin Mcrae Rally, as they looked and felt remarkably close to their console counterparts. But in true Nokia style the platform was always hamstrung by stupid design decisions, and Nokia's usual brand of fail when it comes to offering services. The QD should have been a step forward, and in some ways it was, but again in true Nokia style it was also a step backwards.

The recent N-Gage incarnation again had potential, but Nokia worked extremely hard to squander most of it, again with stupid design decisions and lackluster hardware. Nokia had a chance to usher forth a new generation of N-Gage handsets based on the N95's hardware platform, but instead they chose the N73's hardware as the base level, then never really bothered to release it for N73. For the most part the games were just a slew of java ports, and ports of old N-Gage games, in some cases with less levels. There were no show case games, no killer app, just the same old rope we'd been seeing for about half a decade.

I wanted the new N-Gage to be great, I tried so hard to love it, but in the end there was simply no place in my heart for it, and it became a symbol of all that was fail at Nokia. :)

[End epic N-Gage rant]

Hands0n
5th November 2009, 07:43 PM
.... but Nokia worked extremely hard to squander most of it, again with stupid design decisions and lackluster hardware. .....

Okay, thats it, I've had enough of this. Who are you and what have you done with Mullet of G's body? ;)