View Full Version : iPhone 3.1.2 Unlock

Ben
3rd November 2009, 02:40 PM
http://iphonejtag.blogspot.com/2009/11/sn0wday.html

Looks like we've gotta wait until 5pm. Grr, I want to do it now!

Going to do the 3G and put my Voda SIM in it.

3g-g
3rd November 2009, 03:04 PM
Ooo, let us know how it goes!

dgilbert2
3rd November 2009, 08:16 PM
Reports appearing that after using blacksn0w problems exist with wifi / bluetooth / gps / itunes activation.

Sounds like it should be avoided until these issues resolved.

Hands0n
3rd November 2009, 09:01 PM
Yea, I've seen a few of these reports already. The fix seems to be to reset the network settings of the iPhone after the unlock.

My own JB/Unlock with blackra1n and blacksn0w worked flawlessly. Although Ben doesn't seem to have been at all lucky :( whereas a few others worked okay also.

I'm not sure what would cause a variation in success between Ben's iPhone and mine which were both stock and previously un-fiddled-with.

Screenshots attached - Vodafone showing great prospects for 3G in my area (well, the transmitter is 150m from the front door!).

Edit: I should point out that, although it cannot be seen in the shots attached, the O2 signal is 2G (non-EDGE) only, the Vodafone signal is 3G/HSPA. I can only get O2 3G if I go to the dormer loft extension, stand by the window facing west and hold the handset at waist level precisely.

a_ukboy
3rd November 2009, 09:27 PM
Mine worked fine too, very easy and now works with an Orange sim :D but i have had problems with blackrain before, this seems to be with Cydia, for example downloading an app from Cydia, then the requires a re-boot, often for me i just end up with the Apple logo and no reboot, so have to put phone into recovery mode and start again....

Silly me has played with Cydia and now having to do a restore, sync and unlock again :eek:

This time i'll leave Cydia alone, after all i only want the unlock....

Hands0n
3rd November 2009, 09:30 PM
Instead of Cydia have you tried Rock Installer instead? It claims to be "Cleaner and Faster than Cydia. Auto backup, icons and more. Access APT Community & Rock Store".

I cannot vouch for it, but if you're having repeated issues with Cydia under blackra1n it may be a worthy option for you.

a_ukboy
3rd November 2009, 09:33 PM
Instead of Cydia have you tried Rock Installer instead? It claims to be "Cleaner and Faster than Cydia. Auto backup, icons and more. Access APT Community & Rock Store".

I cannot vouch for it, but if you're having repeated issues with Cydia under blackra1n it may be a worthy option for you.

I may just give it a try...

No probs with wifi etc that i can see on mine, but then im haing to unlock again once the iphones sync, bet i get probs this time :eek:

dgilbert2
3rd November 2009, 09:44 PM
Is everyone finding YouTube and syncing to itunes work OK after the unlock?

Hands0n
3rd November 2009, 10:38 PM
Yup, working 100% thus far. I'm not finding any of the standard or my installed apps not working..

Ben
3rd November 2009, 11:54 PM
Finally got mine done, didn't bother with either of the JB app installers, just did the unlock.

Vodafone users - nice little carrier settings update file here that includes a Vodafone logo: http://www.avforums.com/forums/iphone-modifications-jailbreaking-unlocking-customisation/1037392-custom-carrier-ipcc-bundle-vodafone-uk.html

Not noticed any problems as yet... currently syncing the 3G to my main iTunes library, might as well have all my stuff on it now.

chaslam
4th November 2009, 05:48 AM
Mine is still on 3.0! I think im just going to wait for o2 to release the official unlock in a week or so and do it with them.

gorilla
4th November 2009, 08:42 AM
I can report that my unlock worked ok, I did have to reset my network settings to get wifi working again. I didn't install cydia et al, just wanted to unlock.

The early evidence would suggest that it is indeed O2's crappy 3g network and not that the iPhone has a weak receiver, as most of the screenshots I've seen on other carriers all seem to have better 3g coverage.

Hands0n
4th November 2009, 08:53 AM
Yes, it will be interesting to see where the rabid nay-sayers direct their anti-iPhone attention to next, now that the signal strength/availability issue can be laid firmly at O2's door (as indeed those of us in the know knew anyway ...).

Having previously unlocked iPhones and used them on different networks (my eldest daughter has had hers on Vodafone for almost a year) I can testify that the iPhone 3G is constrained only by its network operator.

Ben
4th November 2009, 10:30 AM
Well, so far so good - my iPhone 3G is now like a mirror of my iPhone 3GS. Looking forward to seeing if it works with the Vodafone Access Gateway :D

I've got numbers all-over-the-shop for now and will wait until Voda releases the iPhone proper before consolidating down to one. Cancelling and porting to be done! The thing with the iPhone is that you don't really want personal and work handsets (like I used to) - you want everything in one place. So I guess my work number will eventually win out.

But yes, for now I've got something to play with at least, and now m N95 8GB is free, upgraded and sync'd I've put my Orange SIM into it for a fiddle. Poor Vertu has gone in a drawer :(

@NickyColman
4th November 2009, 05:31 PM
I DID IT I DID IT!!!!! \o/

I'm just waiting for my sister to get off her phone so i can bang her -T-Mobile sim in it to test it out!!!!!

COOOOME ONNN!!!!!

@NickyColman
4th November 2009, 06:28 PM
Done it! Jailbroken.

Tested -T-Mobile sim card in it and it worked a treat. Now I need to decide which sim card to order online?

Vodafone? Orange? -T-Mobile? 3? I need sim-only, unlimited texts & unlimited data for less than £20 per month!

Also - what happens when apple release an iPhone update to 3.1.2? Can we just restore through iTunes and it'll return it to it's very first state (obviously without the unlock) ?

Hands0n
4th November 2009, 07:10 PM
T-Mobile are currently offering "unlimited" text and data for the £10 per month top up on PAYG. The catch is that the "unlimited" data is subject to a FUP of 40MB a day (~1.2GB a month). Now, T-Mobile don't charge you for going over, but if you do frequently they will either 'have a word' with you or throttle your bandwidth down until the next period.

Vodafone have just announced a load of new 30-day SIM-only tariffs, but you'll need to sign up for more than a £20 p/m to gain their "Unlimited" (thats 500MB per month to you and I).

Orange are a waste of time, their tariffs for data are poor value comparitively.

3 are doing some good stuff also - but I always advise caution as any issues will need contact with their customer services outfit in Mumbai which are legendary for being completely crap.

@NickyColman
4th November 2009, 07:15 PM
@Hands0n, ive looked on T-Mobile's site but i cant find the Pay & Go deal you mentioned! :S

Hands0n
4th November 2009, 07:50 PM
Thats odd - check here http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/pay-as-you-go/deals/ and see Deal 1 - "Free Internet and Texts for life"

But I suspect your Vodafone 30-day SIM-only is a better proposition, depending on how many mins of calls you are likely to make in a billing period.

The Mullet of G
4th November 2009, 08:16 PM
I

getti
4th November 2009, 08:45 PM
Will this work if I buy an iPhone from O2 or Apple this weekend?

Hands0n
4th November 2009, 08:49 PM
Will this work if I buy an iPhone from O2 or Apple this weekend?

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't. The unlock by GeoH0t does not state any limitations. My friend unlocked his brand new 3GS, it was no more than three weeks old.

Ben
4th November 2009, 09:19 PM
I Omg! Well hello there :p You've an iPhone? :o

getti
4th November 2009, 10:05 PM
What I am trying to find out is how the actual unlock works. I think that when the phone loads up the hack blocks the network lock part of the OS but then again I might be wrong

Ben
4th November 2009, 10:24 PM
Is it new 3GS buyers with the modified boot thingy that basically will find their iPhone relocked if it's powered down? Now that's not a huge issue, barely even a minor one, just a bit of an annoyance.

Hands0n
4th November 2009, 10:25 PM
Thats pretty much what the unlock does in the baseband code. The big hope, and that is all it is right now, is that once O2's exclusivity has gone that factory unlocks will be available to UK iPhone owners. At that time all of this cat and mouse unlocking will be history.

The Mullet of G
4th November 2009, 10:44 PM
Omg! Well hello there :p You've an iPhone? :o

Hey there bud. *man hug* :D

Me owning an iPhone would be like Chuck Norris embracing fail, it just isn't the case....I'm unfortunately chained to a rather horrid 5800 for about another 8 months or so. :( I do however own a 3rd Gen 32gig iPod Touch which is kinda the same thing but without the Phone part. And I hate to say it, but I can actually see me getting an iPhone if something else amazing doesn't come out before my contract runs out.....Man what a sell out, Nokia have achieved something that Apple never could have, they have sold me an iPhone. :)

As to some of the newer 3GS models I believe they have the same boot thingy as the ipt3g, which basically means a tethered jailbreak for now. But as its the new battlefront in the cat and mouse game its only a matter of time before someone finds a work around. My money is on the lad Hotz, I follow him on twitter, clever guy.