View Full Version : Vodafone outs SIM-only price plans

Hands0n
4th November 2009, 03:21 PM
What are Vodafone up to?

Vodafone UK announced a raft of new SIM-only plans for the cost-conscious consumer today. The deals, spotted fresh on Vodafone’s site today (http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/sim-only-plans/all-sim-plans?), offer the choice between 30-day or 12-month price plans, both of which offer unlimited data to those hunting for a better SIM deal for their existing phone.

The 30-day SIM-only plans (http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/sim-only-plans/all-sim-plans?initialFilters=flt_1month30days) cram in 600 minutes anytime, unlimited texts and unlimited data for £20 or chatterboxes can bump this up to 900 minutes anytime, unlimited texts and unlimited data for 25 notes.

If you sign up for 12 months’ SIM-only (http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/sim-only-plans/365-days-sim-plans), then you can see the same 900 anytime minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited data price fall to £20, while a whopping 1200 minutes anytime, unlimited texts, unlimited data and unlimited UK landlines will set you back £25.

Each deal means that you can do as much Facebook foraging, Twitter tapping or MySpace mooching as you can shake a SIM-free phone at, subject to a 500MB fair usage policy, natch.

Source: http://www.fonehome.co.uk/2009/11/vodafone-outs-sim-only-price-plans/

So, is this preparation for encouraging people to move to SIM-only handsets? I don't think that its all about making it cheaper or more cost effective for people. Mostly because older handsets would not, with a few exceptions, be able to make good use of "unlimited" data. That is the province of the more recent range of handsets.

Or could this be an enticement for the disaffected O2 iPhone users? Those who may want to come to Vodafone with their unlocked iPhones [when the official unlock is available] but would not necessarily want to fork out for another new iPhone. Nor to obligate themselves to an 18 or 24 month contract.

Clearly, these new tariffs open up all manner of possibility. I believe that it will do some favours to the SIM-free or 'unlocked' handset market. In the end all Vodafone really want is the ARPU, and if they can do that without getting caught up in the hardware so much the better, perhaps.

Vodafone certainly do seem to be one to watch. They've evidently got a business plan, although the whole is still obscure. But I do think that these new SIM-only tariffs have got a lot going for them.

gorilla
4th November 2009, 03:58 PM
I believe there is quidco available on these tariffs as well which makes them even more attractive. I'll be taking out a £20 per month plan after Christmas without a doubt now.

I think this is a win win situation for both the customer and the network - a good value tariff and the network don't have to subsidise a handset.

If I was to take a plan out now can I port my number in a couple of months, or with Vodafone do you have to port at the outset?

Hands0n
4th November 2009, 04:39 PM
I believe there is quidco available on these tariffs

A what? WTFs a "quidco" when its at home?

Re the PAC - my understanding is that a PAC can be applied at any time you wish. But it is worth double-checking that with Vodafone, perhaps on their eForum to be on the safe side. The eForum mods there have access to more reliable internal information. Plus they're going into print :D

Ben
4th November 2009, 05:14 PM
Think you may have to give Voda the PAC when you apply but not 100%...

Liking these tariffs a lot! If O2 will 'officially' unlock my 3GS then I'll be getting one, definitely. Otherwise... not so sure what will happen!

Hands0n
4th November 2009, 05:19 PM
My eldest is on a 18 month contract 750 mins, Unlimited Text, Passport and a 500MB data bundle for £52.19 at the mo. Even the most expensive 30-day will save her £22 a month!

It is amazing how these tariffs are changing. The SIM-only are likely to make folk think more realistically about going for a SIM-free handset - that is if they are happy to pay the up-front cost of one. And it could signal a drop in SIM-free prices for the hardware if the sales take off. Although seeing brand new Androids out around the £350 mark certainly makes it seem that the price drop is already happening!

solo12002
4th November 2009, 07:44 PM
I wonder if o2 will match these ?i fnot o2 users may switch in light of the poorer 3g coverage and the crap network access issues there has been, f they do match all those on 02 30 days sims ill cancal and move across.

I have to sit down at look at these more indepth. Anyone find out why its stated to be a FUP of 500MB when on the Vodafon ite it say UL internet?

Hands0n
4th November 2009, 07:55 PM
Yes, there has been a lot of discussion on the Vodafone eForum about this.

Basically, the deal with Unlimited is that there is indeed a 500MB FUP. However, unlike previous Vodafone data bundles, there is no charge for going over. What will happen is that if you persistently go over the FUP, and Vodafone leave this suitably vague, they will contact you to discuss alternative plans. If you're completely abusing the system they'll cut off your data capability. So, in a warped and weird sense it is Unlimited, there is no charge for going over the 500MB FUP as opposed to the 500MB being an actual limit.

It is all stretching the very bounds of reasonableness, but the ASA ajudicated a year or so ago that Mobile Network Operators and ISPs can use the word Unlimited as long as they state what the FUP limits are at the same time.

gorilla
5th November 2009, 08:52 AM
First up: Quidco (http://www.quidco.com/) is a cashback site that you can use when buying online. Do you guys not use cashback site when buying stuff?

You can use an O2 simplicity tariff with the iPhone [GF is currently doing this] which is similar to this vodafone deal.

I think I'll check with vodafone about when you can port.

okazzionz
22nd November 2009, 04:52 PM
I think Vodafone are meeting the demands of more people using mobile internet on their phones and with the other mobile networks like T-Mobile, Virgin and O2 offering unlimited internet with then it makes sense that they would follow sooner or later. That combined with the iPhone coming soon makes it all the more important there is a good data package available.

I recommend comparing what other networks have to offer on a comparison website to get the best SIM only deals (http://www.simonlycontracts.co.uk).

With regards to FUP, the other networks, O2 T-mobile and Virgin also have limits but at 1GB compare to Voda's 500MB. I think that 500MB is still enough for most people anyway and unless your streaming video or music then you probably wouldn't go over it that often.

3GScottishUser
22nd November 2009, 05:11 PM
I recommend comparing what other networks have to offer on a comparison website to get the best SIM only deals (http://www.simonlycontracts.co.uk).

Handy site, good find. You can get a lot of mins, texts and data for not much nowadays!

chagle
22nd November 2009, 06:01 PM
Handy site, good find. You can get a lot of mins, texts and data for not much nowadays!

Amazing the difference in what you get. Everyone's after your money... still some excellent bargains to be had if you've already got a handset.

Hands0n
22nd November 2009, 09:39 PM
I recommend comparing what other networks have to offer on a comparison website to get the best SIM only deals (http://www.simonlycontracts.co.uk). .

Nice find :) That is certainly a useful website for gaining a broad view of the state of the market. It seems to be completely current too, which is vital. Thanks for the link.

3GScottishUser
23rd November 2009, 07:56 AM
Other than on one single mobile broadband deal it's interesting to note that 3 have few offers to beat others. 3 are still percieved as a market leader for value but the SIM comparison seems to prove that may be based on history.

Virgin's £10 deal is a good one. 200 mins & Unlimited SMS and most can give you just about all you can use for £20/month nowadays. Unless there is a very compelling contract handset I really must have, I think I could be tempted with one of these 30 day SIM deals in the future.

Hands0n
23rd November 2009, 07:47 PM
I am already in the realms of SIM-free and non-contract SIMs. Not quite there but it is going to be somewhat unlikely that I will tie in to a 18 or 24 month contract again.

Who'd have thought that a top of the class smartphone could be had for less than £350? Now while that may seem a lot, it is more than recovered by the mobile phone network's tariffs across 18 and 24 months.

As long as you can afford to stump up the initial handset cost the actual value of SIM-only deals is going up and up!