View Full Version : Iphone network change

a_ukboy
6th November 2009, 10:28 AM
Ok, so i took full advantage of being able to unlock my Iphone 3GS, i decided to go with Orange, sim only £30 1200 mins, unlimited texts and 500MB data..

Firstly the first 24hrs was trying to find out why i couldn't get my internet to work via Orange, searched the net and found data settings for the iphone on Orange uk easy to find, but putting these settings into the iphone would still leave me dataless, spoke many times to Orange yesterday who where great, went through everything with me, confirmed all ok and just put it down to blackholes around my location (although having full signal)..
Then yesterday i plugged my iphone into itunes and instantly a message come up telling me new carrier update was avaliable so i installed, once done a 3g symbol come up, hey i now have data :)
So it seems if you plug in your iphone it will update the carrier settings to whatever sim you have installed... I can't edit them, the option has gone so can't tell you what it put there but i know its Oranges settings as if i click on Tethering it tells me to contact Orange....

So far i have found the difference between o2 and Orange to be Far far better 3g coverage in London :D Data seems a bit on the sloooow side TBH, although getting some very good results from the speedtest im finding pages slow to load, about the same as with o2..
But im also using my iphone data alot less, i seem to be thinking about the 500mb cap!! but checking my o2 bills i've never gone over 450mb and i use my data alot when with o2, watched TV via 3g sometimes and streamed internet radio, but still im cautious about the cap as its £1 per MB after that..

Battery, so Wed when the data was not working my battery died quick... down to 20% within 10 hours :eek: But yesterday i was on 60% after 12 hours, usually 30-40% after 12 hrs on o2, but that could be that im using the iphone data less :(

Will see how things go, im only on a 30 day rolling contract so could leave if i neeeded too, Voda's offerings look good although people i know on Voda tell me to stay clear, bad coverage etc :eek:

Number ports on Monday so will let you know how that goes! :p

a_ukboy
6th November 2009, 07:05 PM
Today day 2 and slot better today, fast reliable Internet.. Started using it slot more and pages loading very fast..

chagle
6th November 2009, 08:11 PM
Congrats! What happens if there's a Software Update via iTunes and you update. Will your phone be locked again?

Hands0n
6th November 2009, 08:18 PM
Nice story a_ukboy :) I'm not a fan of Orange but it is really nice to read that their CS actually attempted to help you out so much.

There'll be a few on here who will be interested in your further adventures on Orange with the iPhone.

@chagle - yes, the unofficial unlock that we've all done will get lost on the next iPhone software update. Hopefully by then the official unlock will be available to people. Otherwise, it is usually a couple of weeks wait after a new firmware from Apple before the unlockers find the gap and create a new unlock.

chagle
6th November 2009, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the info.

@a_ukboy, don't forget Orange Wednesdays! :-)

gorilla
8th November 2009, 09:28 AM
don't forget Orange Wednesdays! :-)

there's an app for that! See the app store for details.

Hands0n
8th November 2009, 10:14 AM
That is unbelievable :D

I don't particularly like Orange, mostly for their stupid Animal tariffs that have, for the longest time, offered inferior value compared to the competition. It was almost as if Orange wanted to commit suicide. I hold that it is only their customer loyalty, who may recall Orange's legendary customer service, that has held the company together through the FT acquisition.

Could they be changing things for the better now? Is that even possible under FT?

But this app makes me reconsider, even if for a moment. It can't do Orange any harm to make it easier and promote Orange Wednesdays. Even the film industry is going to benefit :)

chagle
8th November 2009, 11:32 AM
But this app makes me reconsider, even if for a moment. It can't do Orange any harm to make it easier and promote Orange Wednesdays. Even the film industry is going to benefit :)

I use a Orange PAYG Sim in a spare phone so I can do the Orange Wednesday thing. Sometimes you'll get a 1-4-1 at Pizza Express too on Orange Wednesday. The App does look useful.

Tuesday is release day then for Orange - We assume for the iPhone?

chagle
8th November 2009, 11:33 AM
there's an app for that! See the app store for details.

There's an App for everything, looks quite a good App actually.

a_ukboy
9th November 2009, 08:17 PM
Number porting was quick and trouble free, all done by 10:30am.. Now enjoying my Iphone, very good 3G coverage, never seem to see the little dot anymore...