View Full Version : CyanogenMod - Android 1.6

Hands0n
8th November 2009, 09:29 PM
Main article: What is CyanogenMod

CyanogenMod is a customized, aftermarket firmware distribution for the HTC Dream and Magic cell phones.

Based on the open-source Android operating system, CyanogenMod is designed to increase performance and reliability over Android-based ROMs released by vendors and carriers such as Google, T-Mobile, or HTC. CyanogenMod also offers features not found in these releases, such as FLAC Lossless Audio, multi-touch support, the ability to store applications on the microSD card, and support for tethering.

And so the introduction to the CyanogenMod Wiki goes ...

Currently available for T-Mobile G1 and HTC Magic (32B) handsets, the CyanogenMod OS is a very capable update to Android, releasing features not seen on this side of "the pond" as well as adding several that will not be available in bog-standard Android distributions.

Now, before I take another step I just want to mention Backups. Yes, indeed, if you are contemplating doing anything at all with your Android handset you simply must make a Backup to give you a going chance of getting your handset back to working should something go wrong. And at the level we're working at here there is always that prospect of happening. Not that it ever has to me, but reading the forums I can see that others have had no end of trouble (usually by not RTFM'ing properly).

Fortunately, CyanogenMod procedures include Nandroid Backup (http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php/Nandroid_backup) - which is a superb utility built into the boot ROM that you will install as part of this process. The boot ROM is extended to make it easier to load up (flash) the various ROM components needed. And so, having made your Nandroid backup we can continue ...

The full CyanogenMod Wiki homepage is here http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php/Main_Page and is a light read. While updating the OS on an Android is a fairly technically challenging process it has been made almost simple by the very accomplished developers. There are still ROM kits out there that are complex to install correctly, but CyanogenMod is not one of those. And it gets even better when you get into the Updater that the developer has just released.

I used an old T-Mobile G1 picked up from eBay to learn my way around all of this modding stuff, rather than risk the HTC Magic that is my 'other' iPhone :D The actual process is similar between both the G1 and the Magic - and again full instructions are on the Wiki pages.

Loading up the CyanogenMod is a four-stage process;

Downgrading to RC29 (US) or RC7 (Europe)
Rooting the phone
Cyanogen Recovery Image
Flash Android 1.6 & CyanogenMod 4.2.3/4.1.9999

There is an optional fifth step - but it is not required for this version of CyanogenMod.

There is also another optional step, Apps2SD Fix (optional), that you may want to take - but again, it is not required for this version of CyanogenMod.

Running the script - for the T-Mobile G1 (http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php/Full_Update_Guide_-_G1/Dream_Firmware_to_CyanogenMod)
In practise, actually running through the entire script took no more than 15 minutes. And that was with me very deliberately running slow to document what I did as I went, just in case, and copying the files and directories across to the laptop to keep it all safe and sound just in case.

For the G1 it is necessary to downgrade it to the original ROM, then Root the phone, install the Recovery image, install a stock Android 1.6 ROM and finally overlay it with the CyanogenMod ROM.

The last two steps used to be a single one - but the developer fell foul of Google's licence for their own apps. These are not part of Android itself and so while developers are quite entitled to create Android distributions they are not allowed to bundle the Google apps. Cyanogen's method avoids any of the legal difficulties while still allowing the overall intent to be delivered.

So what is it like?
It is fast, much faster than the stock Android 1.6 Donut. Not lightning fast, but the CyanogenMod ROM does feel slicker, smoother, and with noticeably less tendency to lag that we see in these early Android handsets. It is a good deal easier to use, requiring less repeat prodding of the touchscreen.

The ROM comes absolutely stuffed with 39 useful apps, some of which are not routinely available in the UK. These would include Amazon MP3, Slide SAM 3.1, Voice Dialler plus Bluetooth and WiFi Tether apps that do just what they say. Also included is an Exchange eMail client, not expected until Android 2.0. I also installed CM Updater which allows OTA updates of the OS and Themes from various servers on the Interwebs.

Conclusion
If you want to breathe some new life into the old G1, or perhaps pep up the Magic then I can strongly recommend the CyanogenMod ROM. It does what it says on the packet, and does it very well indeed.

Be aware, once you go down this road you do shut the door on official updates from Google. But that may not be so much of a problem, particularly with the more well supported Android distros like this one.

With CyanogenMod you can be absolutely certain that they'll have an Android 2.0 release out either just before or very soon after Google. The 2.0 SDK is out right now and you can be sure that the various developers are hard at it getting their 2.0 distros ready.

Enjoy