View Full Version : Samsung Announces Rival to Android OS

Ben
11th November 2009, 11:55 AM
http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile-phones/news/2009/11/11/Samsung-Announces-Rival-to-Android-OS/p1

"Based on Samsung's experience in developing previous proprietary platforms on Samsung mobile phones, Samsung can create the new platform and provide opportunities for developers," said the company in an ominous opening, given its previous proprietary platform have all been mind numbing mediocre. Still Samsung has the right angle with bada in courting 'developers' (a word it rams home no less than nine times in the release), since the likes of iPhone OS and Android are now being driven as much by their third party content as the main elements of the operating systems themselves.
Hmm. Is there any point? Well, perhaps. But surely Symbian, Android, and Windows Phone are enough for all the non-Apple handset manufacturers? That said, Nokia is doing Maemo, isn't it?

I suppose competition can't hurt. But fragmentation can. I think we need just a few strong, competing mobile operating systems if 'mobile' is going to truly become a platform to rival the desktop.

Hands0n
11th November 2009, 10:00 PM
I think Samsung are barking mad! They can't even put out a decent Android - their Galaxy is one to avoid at all costs. And they think that they can do better than Android? Oh well, good luck with that, Samsung.

This gets a big "No" vote from me.

The Mullet of G
12th November 2009, 03:38 AM
I actually lol'd quite hard when I first heard about this. Maybe its just me, but every Samsung I've ever used has one thing in common, if you are looking for a setting or something else on the phone, it'll be in the last place you'd ever logically think of looking for it. I too give this the big "no" vote, while still lol'ing quite hard at the mere thought of it. :D

gorilla
12th November 2009, 10:08 AM
Samsung should stick to making nice looking handsets and let other people worry about the OS.