View Full Version : Carphone Warehouse and Phones 4U suspend smartphone

Hands0n
25th November 2009, 07:00 AM
Oh dear! Are Sony Ericsson losing the plot? What is going on with the when their flagship handset can be having such fundamental problems?

It is almost comical that the operator branded handsets seem to be clear of the problem. :eek:

Mobile phone retailers Carphone Warehouse and Phones 4U have temporarily withdrawn the Sony Ericsson Satio smartphone from their stores.

Both companies said the move followed complaints from customers about software problems.

Phones 4U announced its decision to stop selling the handset 24 hours after rival retailer Carphone Warehouse.
Sony Ericsson said it was "giving this matter its utmost priority and working toward solving it".

None of the companies involved gave details about the nature of the fault but Satio users online have been complaining about frozen screens and problems with ringtones.

"Now on my second Satio and it still has the same issues," wrote Iain H on a handset review site. "Screen freezing and no ringtone. Only way to solve the problem is to take the battery out."

He added: "I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem."
Sony Ericsson recently announced a new smartphone model, the Xperia X10. It is the company's first Android handset but it is not due to go on sale until 2010.

Verity Burns, a technology journalist with gadget magazine Stuff thinks the problem lies with how the Sony Ericsson user interface interacts with the Symbian operating system on the phone.

"The phone seems to be turning itself off when people access certain applications but not everyone will be affected. Vodafone and Orange run their own interfaces and don't seem to have the issue."

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8377312.stm

Hands0n
25th November 2009, 07:03 AM
The Register had this to report ....

Sony Ericsson has withdrawn its new 12Mp cameraphone, Satio, from sale after only a few weeks of UK availability.

The company told Register Hardware today that “a small number of consumers have experienced software issues” with the phone over here. It isn't known if overseas buyers are experiencing the same problems.

Sony Ericsson has pulled Satio from sale in the UK
SE refused to specify exactly what prompted it to pull the Satio from shop shelves. It would only say that the software woes manifest themselves when owners use certain unnamed applications.

However, online forums have provided Satio owners with space to complain about the phone. “Sudden freezing”, battery problems, “ringtone faults” and software crashes have all been highlighted by a number of the handset users.

One Satio owner known as GregJ said: “Whenever I receive a text message the phone only displays the number and not the person’s name.”

Another Satio owner, Steve Vine, said he is now on his third model and that the phone still displays “bubbles” on pictures captured using the 12.1Mp lens.

Carphone Warehouse and Phones 4 U have removed the Satio from sale “temporarily”, SE told us. Vodafone still has the handset listed for sale on its website.

Sony Ericsson hopes to rectify Satio's sore points quickly and to have fresh, fixed models in store soon, it said.

Source: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/11/24/satio_sales_pull/

How very [un]helpful of Sony Ericsson to refer the problem to "... certain unnamed applications ...". You would think that they'd be falling over themselves to help out the affected punter. But clearly that is not the case. The poor old fella has to find out for himself.

Sony Ericsson hopes to rectify Satio's sore points quickly and to have fresh, fixed models in store soon, it said. And what of those in circulation? How are SE going to solve the incumbent owner's problems? OTA, take back to shop, return via post, buy another? What?

Thank you Sony Ericsson. Thanks for nothing!

hecatae
25th November 2009, 09:01 AM
look at all the UIQ phones that were never fixed, the P990, the M600, the W950.

sony ericsson's solution?

release a new model, p1 and w960 and shaft all the early adopters

Ben
25th November 2009, 11:24 AM
Nice to see Sony Ericsson retaining the reputation for producing horrifically buggy phones! I'd certainly never risk another one. Unfortunately they seem determined to continue their downward spiral towards complete failure. I think we'll see them out of the market within a few years.

The Mullet of G
25th November 2009, 01:51 PM
SE a company renowned for producing buggy handsets and then recalling them. S60v5 an OS renowned for being buggy and having an overall poor user experience....what could possibly go wrong? :D

I knew the minute SE announced this handset that it was going to go down like the Hindenburg. Nokia couldn't make S60v5 work, Samsung didn't fare any better, at what point did SE a company renowned for fail think that they were the ones to tame that ropey old goat?