View Full Version : S60 going mainstream? 6700 slide

hecatae
25th November 2009, 02:36 PM
http://www.nokia.com/press/press-releases/showpressrelease?newsid=1356825

Nokia 6700 slide - Capture and share quickly and easily
With a choice of six fresh and vivid colors - pink, red, petrol blue, aluminum, lime and purple - this slimline slider is sure to turn heads. Its compact size, modern design and aluminum finish feels great in the hand, and fits perfectly even in the smallest pocket or bag.

The smart capabilities of the Nokia 6700 slide are beautifully easy to use: The 5 megapixel camera with Carl Zeiss optics is perfect for capturing and sharing moments as they happen. Favorite images can be edited on the go and uploaded to the web directly from the camera menu. The device's high speed 3G connectivity ensures your favorite communities are always as close as your Nokia 6700 slide.

full s60 3.2.1 feature pack 2 device, with a price of 160 euros before tax

Ben
25th November 2009, 03:03 PM
Yeah, I think S60 will fully replace S40 in the mid-range and Maemo (?) will replace S60 at the top end.

S40 may be retained for the low end.

hecatae
25th November 2009, 03:57 PM
the colours make me laugh, I remember Ericsson T10s came in similar colours

Ben
25th November 2009, 05:54 PM
The problem with Nokia colours is that, often, only 1 or 2 actually show up in the channel.

Hands0n
25th November 2009, 10:40 PM
Is it just me or does that 6700 look an awful like their 6800 and N73 but without the buttons?

Personally, I can't see myself ever owning another Nokia.

The Mullet of G
26th November 2009, 02:17 AM
Is it just me or does that 6700 look an awful like their 6800 and N73 but without the buttons?

Personally, I can't see myself ever owning another Nokia.

Same gubbins, different case. Why throw out all that old N73 hardware when you can stick it in a pink case and sell it all over again. :D

solo12002
26th November 2009, 09:46 PM
Tottaly disapointed. Once again nokia brings out cheap nasy looking sXXt thats been around for yeas, what ppl would like is smart phones with touch screens etc, why has nokia not taken this on board.

Theses phones look like something for use in a delevoping co who dont have any thing more than a basic network

The Mullet of G
27th November 2009, 02:59 AM
Tottaly disapointed. Once again nokia brings out cheap nasy looking sXXt thats been around for yeas, what ppl would like is smart phones with touch screens etc, why has nokia not taken this on board.

Theses phones look like something for use in a delevoping co who dont have any thing more than a basic network

Its an outrage, how very dare they bring out a low cost handset that isn't brimming with cutting edge expensive technology, what right do they have to cater for people who just want a cheap handset with a reasonable spec to cost ratio. :rolleyes:

Nokia already has at least 5 touch screen smartphones, with more on the way, wouldn't that suggest they have taken it on board? With that in mind what are you basing your statement on?

I'm not sure if a developing country with a basic network would have much use for a smartphone with 3G. :)

solo12002
27th November 2009, 08:06 AM
Ok I make my comment simple. Why do Nokia or keep dolling out the same crap.

The OS is out of date, it cant be updated OTA, the phones all look the same shape, the camers on most are from 2 - 5 , when others are talking about 12 plus MP and they think but re number them from old phones or putting an I or E afterthem will make ppl they think something new.

The Mullet of G
27th November 2009, 02:12 PM
Ok I make my comment simple. Why do Nokia or keep dolling out the same crap.

The OS is out of date, it cant be updated OTA, the phones all look the same shape, the camers on most are from 2 - 5 , when others are talking about 12 plus MP and they think but re number them from old phones or putting an I or E afterthem will make ppl they think something new.

I can see where your coming from, but this isn't meant to be a flagship device, being as its mid to low end, it makes sense to use hardware and software that you currently have laying around, this allows you to keep costs down. Flagship devices are all well and good, but Nokia make most of its money from the mid to low end, so it makes sense to keep that area well catered for, and a 5MP camera is more than enough here.

Also firmware updates have been possible OTA since the N80 days, so can't see why it wouldn't be possible now? I agree the OS isn't exactly a new born baby, but its not exactly a bad OS, and it still commands almost 40% of the smartphone market, so would be daft if Nokia didn't use it.

I agree that repackaging old hardware in a new shell is somewwhat shoddy, but in a mid to low end device its more than acceptable, and simply technology moving down through the range as it becomes older, and more cost effective. What I do have issue with is the fact they also do this with flagship models, the N97 being based on the same core hardware as the 5800, which in turn spawned the 5530 and 5230, then we had N97 mini all running on the same core hardware. If that wasn't bad enough they are now rolling out the X6 which is based on, yup you guessed it the 5800 hardware.