View Full Version : Nokia Considers Selling Mobile Phone Division?

Ben
30th November 2009, 03:11 PM
http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile-phones/news/2009/11/30/Nokia-Considers-Selling-Mobile-Phone-Division-/p1

Speculation hit over the weekend that Finnish mobile giant Nokia was considering the unthinkable: selling off its mobile phone division. The speculation comes from quotes by non other than Nokia marketing head Anssi Vanjoki who said a transformation of the current business meant it had adopted a "never say never" attitude to such a proposal.

@NickyColman
30th November 2009, 06:42 PM
Woah, just woah.

Hands0n
30th November 2009, 09:17 PM
Once a firm starts asset stripping it is the beginning of a downward slide.

Ben
30th November 2009, 10:01 PM
Hmm. It doesn't fill one with confidence, does it. I'll certainly be watching this rumour closely to see what, if any, developments there are.

Structural change probably wont fix an uninspired product lineup, but it might help future innovation if done properly.

gorilla
1st December 2009, 08:33 AM
What would Nokia's core business be? Is it no longer phones? Was it ever phones?

Ben
1st December 2009, 11:07 AM
Those cheap TVs you sometimes see in hotel rooms, I guess :p

3g-g
1st December 2009, 04:42 PM
What would Nokia's core business be? Is it no longer phones? Was it ever phones?

Network infrastructure. 3, O2, Orange and T-Mob are all Nokia networks... from BSCs and RNCs to the 2G and 3G BTS.

Seems rather poor though... some new boys arrived and were quite good at making software, so we gave up. Pathetic!

Hands0n
1st December 2009, 11:20 PM
How will Nokia also fare in the face of the new boys in networking, Huawei? They do all of the above and very much more!

getti
2nd December 2009, 11:10 AM
Nokia wont sell the handset business. Would be like Apple stop making music players... it wont happen

Ben
2nd December 2009, 11:38 AM
Nokia wont sell the handset business. Would be like Apple stop making music players... it wont happen
IBM sold its PC devision to Lenovo. For many, products like the Thinkpad *were* IBM. Though I agree that the handset business is more fundamental to Nokia.

The Mullet of G
2nd December 2009, 01:00 PM
I'm filing this under "pictures or it didn't happen" :D

miffed
2nd December 2009, 03:26 PM

It was "Multimedia computers" :D .... (It's what computers have become , apparently :D )