View Full Version : 3 allows customers to cancel contracts due to poor coverage!

@NickyColman
1st December 2009, 03:34 PM
The full story is over on ZDNet, but word on the street is that 3 will allow customers to cancel their mobile broadband contracts if they cant achieve basic email and web browsing.

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/0,1000000085,39913352,00.htm

Interesting stuff eh?

Ben
1st December 2009, 05:30 PM
Another interesting development that suggests 3 UK give a damn about their public image all of a sudden. Of course, whether someone who is experiencing problems can actually speak to a knowledgeable Customer Service Representative is a whole other kettle of fish.

Dongles are so cheap that letting customers out of their contracts if they can't get coverage shouldn't hurt them too much.

3GScottishUser
3rd December 2009, 07:43 PM
What we are now seeing is the result of the blunderbus approach!!

Sell, sell, sell and gain numbers regardless.

It's the same nonsense that 3 did with cheap and nasty NEC handsets a few years back and most of that ridiculous activity delivered nothing more than frustration to customers and very short term (expesive acquisition) gain to 3.

This new relaisim is not unexpected as 3 have flooded the market with dongles and many customers have expectations that 3G can replace their landline/cable service. I am guessing 3 is the network of choice for those who have been disconnected for non-payment by hard-wired providers.

Bottom line is 3 have sold too many dongles in some areas and they now know they can't service them to a decent standard.

Deja-Vu?

Hands0n
3rd December 2009, 08:40 PM
All other issues aside, I think that this is a noble thing that 3 do.

Unfortunately, I share 3GSU's scepticism about 3's Customer Services in Mumbai. They have an atrocious history that will take a long time to shift. On that basis alone I would not trust 3 even in this new light.

My recommendation stands - where 3 is concerned, stay away.

lonewolfa1
17th December 2009, 09:11 AM
hi i have 2 3g dongles with them ,my service went down for a full week due to upgrades they have a roaming partner orange who they are supposed to put you on, but didn,t in my case said i had no signal sent them proof of my signal and was given the usual 3g customer service tour of lies and abuse and denials sent the proof of a recorded conversation of the abuse i suffered but they still have done nothing i would like to personally thanks thise site for printing this because 3g home foreum just covers up facts and truth and ends your account

DBMandrake
17th December 2009, 11:34 AM
3 don't support roaming to Orange for their Mobile Broadband dongles - the 2G backup roaming using Orange's network is only for mobiles, as the APN used by the dongles doesn't work on 2G.

Hands0n
17th December 2009, 07:30 PM
hi i have 2 3g dongles with them ,my service went down for a full week due to upgrades they have a roaming partner orange who they are supposed to put you on, but didn,t in my case said i had no signal sent them proof of my signal and was given the usual 3g customer service tour of lies and abuse and denials sent the proof of a recorded conversation of the abuse i suffered but they still have done nothing i would like to personally thanks thise site for printing this because 3g home foreum just covers up facts and truth and ends your account

Hi Lonewolfa1 - welcome to Talk3G. We do not have any problem with people being supportive or critical of their service provider.

3 have a long history of very poor customer service - which is a real pity because otherwise they really have a lot to offer. But as you've found out, when things go wrong their customer service has a certain talent for making people very fed up with them. It is an off-shore operation where true customer service, as we are used to in the UK, is non-existent.

As DBMandrake says, their roaming partner (Orange) only supports telephony and SMS text messaging. Mobile broadband users are wholly reliant upon 3's 3G network, at least that is the state of affairs right now.

It would probably have been of much more help for 3's customer services to have told you that basic fact rather than try their best, and succeed, to antagonise you.

Has 3's mobile broadband signal returned now? If you're locked into a contract with them it is probably best just seeing it out to its end and then consider a change to another provider if the signal in your area is good enough.

But I wouldn't go holding my breath waiting for 3's customer facing service to change any time soon. Some people have reported contacting a UK call centre of 3's - but that does not seem to be anything more than the exception. They really would do themselves an enormous favour by ditching Mumbai and re-building their UK call centre as was.

lonewolfa1
26th December 2009, 11:03 PM
just to add
Mr Russell said: "I am delighted that 3 is teaming-up with T-Mobile to deliver this major step forward for the UK mobile market. It is exciting to consider that within a short period of time wherever you can get 2G mobile coverage today you will be able to access the internet at broadband speeds from a 3G mobile device."
http://www.hutchison-whampoa.com/upload_docs/2007/12/Telco/1975/1975_eng.htm
i was making the point of the lies from 3g and the proof that i give forum members to arm there selfs from poor service