View Full Version : t-mobile pulse is currently £91.34 payg til 6pm

hecatae
3rd December 2009, 10:55 AM
https://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobile-phones/phones/pay-as-you-go/t-mobile/pulse-payg/overview/

so so tempted

oh and you can also get £15 quidco

£76.34 for a Huawei U8230 Android handset

Ben
3rd December 2009, 01:42 PM
They've done well with that handset, I hope it's appropriately marketed and a big seller this Christmas.

Assuming it's actually OK to use - I haven't read anything too negative considering the price.

hecatae
3rd December 2009, 02:26 PM
unlock is £17

custom unbranded rom is available on modaco.

miffed
3rd December 2009, 04:21 PM
Well , I couldn't help myself !

I will report back when it gets here :D

Ben
3rd December 2009, 05:55 PM
You dawg, miffed! :P

Hands0n
3rd December 2009, 08:03 PM
LOL I knew he'd flake. Damn I'm jealous

getti
3rd December 2009, 08:15 PM
That is a REALLY good price for a PAYG Android phone with HSDPA, 3.5 inch screen

Ben
3rd December 2009, 10:46 PM
Agreed, it's quite a proposition - and hell, I want smartphones to be mainstream so much - once these things hit a critical mass it's going to be revolutionary.

Of course I'd like it if every man, woman and child had an iPhone, but I'll take what I can get :p

miffed
4th December 2009, 06:52 AM
And the other aspect , is the excellent Tariff ! ...Firstly they've drawn your budget PAYG customer into buying a capable smartphone instead of a conventional 'fone' .....and then they have taken it a bit further by including Free internet (capped at 40mb per day) and Unlimited SMS ! (for £10 per month)
A little bizarre though , you don't get the free stuff for a month , so you may have to top up extra during the first month , but from then on for £10 month , you are sorted !
This is brilliant , no only do they give you a capable handset for
Not sure if this is by luck or design , (as the same 33% off and same tariff was available on all PAYG phones) .. but I think this is a good move for the smartphone community !

Hands0n
4th December 2009, 08:35 AM
Late last night the offer was still running. I got all the way upto entering card details but then stopped :D

this is a stupendous offer placing smartphones in the hands of many for whom the technology would be inaccessible even a few months ago. It's all low risk tor T-Mobile too. No defaulters to worry about.

If I were in the Market or buying for Christmas this would definitely be wrapped and under the tree for 25/12 :)

The Mullet of G
4th December 2009, 03:17 PM
I wanted to mock this thing, but they have made it really difficult. The only flaw is the camera which looks pretty terrible, and the limit on storage for apps and stuff. Besides that its pretty cracking hardware for the price. :)

miffed
4th December 2009, 04:43 PM
Bah !

Just got a mail telling me they are out of stock , and they will send me one (at the offer price) as soon as they get stock :(

I hate waiting !

Ben
4th December 2009, 11:29 PM
Sucks about the delay! Will you be patient enough not to cancel it? ;) That's the problem with impulse online buys, too much time to ponder! That said, the excitement always beats the reality.

Unless it's an iPhone.

hecatae
5th December 2009, 10:45 AM
heard it's got a capacitive screen so that makes it better than the tattoo :D

Hands0n
5th December 2009, 12:43 PM
Yes, it is capacitive touchscreen, plastic.

Ben
6th December 2009, 08:09 PM
I wonder how capacitive plastic will compare to something like the iPhone with its glass screen?

People say that capacitive and resistive can be much the same, it's all down to how they're implemented.

The iPhone 3GS's glass capacitive touchscreen with its oleophobic coating, though, is surely still the best touchscreen on the market...

Hands0n
6th December 2009, 08:28 PM
The HTC Magic and G1 are both of a plastic panel - the glass LCD is beneath the capacitive sensor screen. Using the two I can safely attest that the iPhone sensitivity and "feel" is superior by several degrees.

The Mullet of G
8th December 2009, 10:38 AM
Can't we have one thread where we don't talk about iPhone? I mean its a budget handset costing less than £100 can we not discuss the merits of said handset without comparing it to an iPhone that costs 5 times as much? :rolleyes:

Ben
8th December 2009, 12:11 PM
We all have iPhones. I only use an iPhone these days, so it's my only point of reference.

It's like a scale, where iPhone is 10/10 ;)

gorilla
8th December 2009, 01:29 PM
Ben, have you not told everyone that it's now TalkiPhone and no longer Talk3G :D

miffed
8th December 2009, 01:40 PM
or "Talk3GS" :D

The Mullet of G
8th December 2009, 07:39 PM
I understand what your saying, but its a bit like comparing a Ford with a Ferrari and saying the Ford isn't quite as good, no kidding Sherlock. A phone costing less than £100 should be compared with similarly priced handsets, not the one you consider to be the best available. :)

And it pretty much is TalkiPhone, I post on a lot of mobile phone forums, I even posted on the Apple forum once, but this is easily the most Apple slanted site I use. :p

Hands0n
8th December 2009, 09:44 PM
Oh I don't know ... While the iPhone has captured the imagination and wallets of not a few of us on here, there are other devices discussed. Lately there is some buzz about Android. Who can reasonably ignore that platform?

And then there has been some comment about Nokia's N97 and N900 around here - not that they've had too much to scream about of late. Motorola's Droid gets a mention too, although the Millenium (as it is called here) hasn't really arrived in any great number yet.

Meanwhile the iPhone has been going from strength to strength with its hardware and, more importantly, software updates. These have been tailing off lately and so the chat around the latest newness has slackened off also.

Handsets aside, there is also lots to read around about the network mergers that are occurring ... oops I'm informed that the correct term is "sharing". And then T-Mobile taking a bit of a rocking and being sold to Orange - that'll be the death of them , mark my words.

And of course any retort would not be complete without a mention of that mobile network operator that everyone loves to hate, good old 3. Under the stewardship of Kevin Rusell 3 have made steps forwards and a few backwards also. They have continued to commit self-harm with that idiotic off-shore customer services operation of theirs in Mumbai. A location that wouldn't know a customer if one bit them on the ankle. The treat the disaffected with complete derision - hardly improving the situation - and then commit harassment with their scripts. I would rather rub rusty spoons on my eyes than deal with that shambolic lot ever again. But, quel surprise!, Kevin has started a new 3 Blog where he is being quite open and honest. One of our own T3G'ers have experienced a 3 UK call centre - and we had thought that they'd all been sent out into the wilderness. Is Kevin re-building the UK call centre operation on the quiet, preparing for a fresh assault on the UK market. If he does bring CS back to the UK and gets rid of Mumbai then I would make a serious consideration to giving 3 another go. And if he hurries up and gets it done by 1/2/2010 then he may well win a contract from me as I walk away from O2 with my iPhone in my hand.

So you see? We're not really all that iPhone crazy. A bit warped, I'd admit. But never crazy ;)

Ben
9th December 2009, 01:40 AM
Apple slanted
It's so weird, none of us started out this way - it just kinda happened. We'd all mysteriously started to go Mac long before the iPhone surfaced, too. It's just nuts :)

The Mullet of G
9th December 2009, 10:30 AM
Yeah theres lots of discussion on here about other handsets, for example here are some recent threads from the Nokia section.

Nokia makes loss after poor sales

Nokia to shut down N-Gage

Nokia suing Apple over the iPhone

Nokia Comes With... 32,000 UK users

Nokia sees sales, shipments and profits slide

Do you see a pattern there? I see no mention of the N97 Mini recently cleaning up at some awards thing, or even a single post about the N900, or the X6 or any of Nokia's upcoming phones. Most of the threads you guys make about other phones that aren't iPhone are negative. This isn't a pattern I see repeated elsewhere on multi platform sites, so I attribute it to the fact that the 5 people who post regularly all own Macs and iPhones.

I appreciate that you guys like everything Apple, but for everyone else its kinda boring, hence the lack of activity on here. As moderators/Admin you are meant to encourage discussion, not kill it stone dead by constantly brow beating everything that doesn't have an Apple badge.

Yes I admit that Android is talked about on here, but since Android has a pretty slim market share, your hardly encouraging a large number of people to post. Taking into account Nokia have the largest market share of any mobile phone company, it would make sense to encourage Nokia owners to post, but you don't. I'll post about anything anywhere, but even I wouldn't bother posting a Nokia thread on here and thats not a good sign.

gorilla
9th December 2009, 11:44 AM
You have a point, but I remember when this forum was all about the N series.

Perhaps we're all guilty of following the latest trend a little too closely.

I would offer a defence which is that us regular posters are also quite demanding in terms of what we need our mobiles to do. It is for that reason why nokia has taken a hammering.

I do think we are all balanced enough to recognise valid contributions from other users and I can only apologise if we are starting to drive people away.

miffed
9th December 2009, 11:47 AM
I wouldn't bother posting a Nokia thread on here and thats not a good sign.

Oh , I don't know .. sounds pretty good to me ?

gorilla
9th December 2009, 11:49 AM
them there's fighting words! :eek: :p

getti
9th December 2009, 12:05 PM
I did post lots about Nokia but even me as a long term Nokia fan I have to admit the company has been a bit weak recently.

The N95 was great and it all went downhill from there and that was what, 3yrs ago?.

N95 8GB (same as N95 but more memory and bigger screen)
N96 (major let down)
N97 (buggy as crap and replaced after only a few months)
N97 Mini (what the original N97 should have been anyway)
5800 (yes this was good)
5800 CWM (never really took off)
5800 Chome (same phone but different case)

Only now that Nokia has started to use Maemo in phones are us Nokia fans getting something different, but what is not different is the fact Nokia can't even get it out the door to people who want it unless you pre-ordered due to delay after delay with stock.

Now yes I am an Apple fan, I have an iPhone but I do not think that will be for long as I think the battery sucks (literally!.. sucks!) and I think the OS is just... dare i say it... BORING!.

Yes at times Talk3G does seem very like TalkiPhone3G but unless someone else puts out decent handsets are you surprised there is nothing else to talk about?. Apart from iPhone and Android everything else looks stale an out of date at the moment.

Android has won me over now and this will be my OS of choice.

Just look at it like this. In the 1yr it took Nokia to go from the joke which is the N96 to the N97 which was still horrible, Android went from the 1st ever phone in the G1 to the Hero which has won phone of the year!.

The Mullet of G
9th December 2009, 01:47 PM
You have a point, but I remember when this forum was all about the N series.

Perhaps we're all guilty of following the latest trend a little too closely.

I would offer a defence which is that us regular posters are also quite demanding in terms of what we need our mobiles to do. It is for that reason why nokia has taken a hammering.

I do think we are all balanced enough to recognise valid contributions from other users and I can only apologise if we are starting to drive people away.

I think that is the underlying issue, this forum has been reduced to 5 or 6 regular posters who are all firmly entrenched in Apple's camp, and over time anyone who wanted to discuss anything besides Apple went elsewhere to do so.

I post on a few similar forums, all of them very active and there is an absolute ton of positive threads about other companies besides Apple, and that is why they have a large number of active users. The secret to having an active forum is to encourage discussion about everything, not limit it by isolating yourselves from everyone else.

I did post lots about Nokia but even me as a long term Nokia fan I have to admit the company has been a bit weak recently.

The N95 was great and it all went downhill from there and that was what, 3yrs ago?.

N95 8GB (same as N95 but more memory and bigger screen)
N96 (major let down)
N97 (buggy as crap and replaced after only a few months)
N97 Mini (what the original N97 should have been anyway)
5800 (yes this was good)
5800 CWM (never really took off)
5800 Chome (same phone but different case)

Only now that Nokia has started to use Maemo in phones are us Nokia fans getting something different, but what is not different is the fact Nokia can't even get it out the door to people who want it unless you pre-ordered due to delay after delay with stock.

Now yes I am an Apple fan, I have an iPhone but I do not think that will be for long as I think the battery sucks (literally!.. sucks!) and I think the OS is just... dare i say it... BORING!.

Yes at times Talk3G does seem very like TalkiPhone3G but unless someone else puts out decent handsets are you surprised there is nothing else to talk about?. Apart from iPhone and Android everything else looks stale an out of date at the moment.

Android has won me over now and this will be my OS of choice.

Just look at it like this. In the 1yr it took Nokia to go from the joke which is the N96 to the N97 which was still horrible, Android went from the 1st ever phone in the G1 to the Hero which has won phone of the year!.

I think you missed out at least 10 phones there, but I see the point your trying to make. Thing is people on other forums seem to be able to make plenty of positive Nokia threads, and encourage lively discussion, so there are clearly still plenty of people happy to talk about Nokia, they just aren't doing it here. And that right there is the problem, why aren't people doing it here?

You also have to realise that Android and iPhone simply aren't valid options for a lot of people, this is something that the average iPhone user has great difficulty coming to terms with. If you tell an iPhone owner that you want a new phone, and you'll be mostly using it for taking pictures and talk & text, they will always tell you to get an iPhone, even though it completely fails in at least one of the key areas you require. For some people a phone with a 3.2MP camera simply isn't acceptable, or a phone without a removable battery, there are lots of reasons to buy something besides an iPhone. Like I mentioned previously almost 40% of people who wanted a smartphone bought a Nokia in the 3rd Q of this year, I've spoken to a lot of them on various forums and they are for the most part a happy bunch. But this isn't the picture that gets painted on here, its a constant stream of Nokia doom and gloom.

Similarly I've also been looking at Android, but I find the limit on storage for installed apps to be completely unacceptable, until they sort that out it simply isn't a valid option for me, but I'm keeping my eye on it.

miffed
9th December 2009, 08:26 PM
It's funny , I did actually raise the point of iPhone dominance in the forum as a concern a while back in the Mod's tea room , We concluded that we should simply go with the flow , its not like a group of Apple worshippers got together and created a forum to praise Apple products , we came from different backgrounds in terms of handsets , (I was a big fan of Windows Mobile myself)
We all seemed to unite on the N95 , not becsuse we wanted to lick nokia's backside in a sickening manner ( Along comes the iPhone, and a couple of us made the jump , with a few of us purposely holding off because the device did not meet their needs.
Surely if it were a desire to lick Steve Jobs backside in a similar manner to the way some lick Bill Gates' ( Along comes the 3G , and this is where the mass migration begins , with pretty much everyone jumping on board in the same way we did with the N95 - because it is the best device for each of us.
Is this "iPhone fever" unique to Talk3G ? , Course not ! , the bloody things are everywhere ! to deny this is simply sour grapes & denial.
There are a good (albeit small) group of guys that post here , but the difference between us and other forums , is that I know I can trust the opinions and experiences and opinions of these guys , I can't speak for Ben , but personally I'd rather have things this way than full of idiots that only seem to pop up around school holidays to start internet arguments about bloody phones ! (

Ben
9th December 2009, 10:54 PM
The news here that I post is mostly from The Register and Trusted Reviews. I don't consciously filter out the negative stories to post... there aren't a great deal of 'Wowza Nokia!' stories on either site these days.

Talk3G was created on the basis that the forum itself has no bias or commercial interests. However, users are free to post about, and discuss, the things that interest them.

If you want to talk about a Nokia then make a post and we'll contribute.

miffed
10th December 2009, 08:39 AM
Anyway , lets put the whining aside for a moment !

Just got a mail from T-mobile to tell me my Pulse is winging its way to me :D

...Looking forward to getting my new toy :)

gorilla
10th December 2009, 09:21 AM
This thread has now been completely hijacked to justify our love for the iPhone!!

I'm not convinved that we are completely blinded by the iPhone.
Example A: I had to jail break to get proper functionality.
Example B: Like many on here (ok a few) I loaded on developer versions of 3.0 to bring added functionality.
Example C: Price - steep even for blinkered fanboys.
Example D: App store restrictions

The reason why for me the iPhone has become such a sore point is over price. It's the first phone I paid real money for. Ever. Every other phone I've had was 'free' or £20 or some other nominal fee.
But you can get it free on some contracts, and it's not out of reach for many people now, which is why we discuss it so often. It is the phone to compare to.

Granted this thread is about a £100 PAYG, but it's features are similar to the iPhone, and so should be compared, if for no other reason than to keep us grounded and up to date with developments.

@miffed do keep us posted!

The Mullet of G
10th December 2009, 10:36 AM
It's funny , I did actually raise the point of iPhone dominance in the forum as a concern a while back in the Mod's tea room , We concluded that we should simply go with the flow , its not like a group of Apple worshippers got together and created a forum to praise Apple products , we came from different backgrounds in terms of handsets , (I was a big fan of Windows Mobile myself)
We all seemed to unite on the N95 , not becsuse we wanted to lick nokia's backside in a sickening manner ( Along comes the iPhone, and a couple of us made the jump , with a few of us purposely holding off because the device did not meet their needs.
Surely if it were a desire to lick Steve Jobs backside in a similar manner to the way some lick Bill Gates' ( Along comes the 3G , and this is where the mass migration begins , with pretty much everyone jumping on board in the same way we did with the N95 - because it is the best device for each of us.
Is this "iPhone fever" unique to Talk3G ? , Course not ! , the bloody things are everywhere ! to deny this is simply sour grapes & denial.
There are a good (albeit small) group of guys that post here , but the difference between us and other forums , is that I know I can trust the opinions and experiences and opinions of these guys , I can't speak for Ben , but personally I'd rather have things this way than full of idiots that only seem to pop up around school holidays to start internet arguments about bloody phones ! (
I imagine there has been plenty of mod tea room talk of late. And I can't quite put my finger on it, but that post somehow seemed like it was in reference to me, maybe I'm just imagining it though.... :)

Anyways I had typed a long reply here, but it would simply have prolonged the hijacking of this thread. Suffice to say well played again on the self trolling, it was quite awesome actually. :D

Back to the subject at hand, I am actually interested to hear how you get on with the T Mobile Pulse, at that price its a tempting first step into the world of Android that I might be interested in taking, should it be decent that is.

miffed
10th December 2009, 11:32 AM
Suffice to say well played again on the self trolling, it was quite awesome actually. :D

Praise indeed , coming from you !

Hands0n
10th December 2009, 09:36 PM
Whether you pay £100 or £500 for an Android handset the experience will be the same. Notwithstanding any hardware differences such as whether or not the handset has a mechanical keyboard or is a touchscreen-only. Essentially, there is no such thing as an "entry level" Android handset. They are all built to much the same spec, although there are some subtleties under the hood that would not be noticed by the average consumer.

This uniformity of experience is one of Android's biggest assets. Everything you do is the same pretty much no matter which handset. Something I much prefer to how some other manufacturers move options and buttons all over the place with each iteration.

I have had my hands on a T-Mobile Pulse for more than a few minutes. It was exactly the same to use as my two other Androids (Magic and G1). Although the build quality did not seem to be quite up to HTC's standard. But Huawei are relatively new to this part of the market - they are a massive corporation and will soon be able to up the quality of the product.

solo12002
11th December 2009, 08:04 AM
LOL so many mods in this thread talking about the iphone when its about another mobile. Maybe one of them would like to move that part of the topic back to the iphone thread?

lol

Hands0n
11th December 2009, 08:27 AM
LOL - I know, its difficult to not compare any touchscreen to the top dog. It may just be that we're all subconsciously looking for the [now] legendary "killer". I know that, from my point of view, I am looking for something that surpasses the Apple device, something to move on up to in my quest for ever improved technology. Other manufacturers have thrown down the gauntlet with their latest and greatest. But so far, again in my opinion, they have all failed to achieve the challenge.

For me, its not simply about the technology (i.e. how many megapixels the camera has or whatever) but the entire usability experience. That has yet to be equalled, let alone surpassed. Android, in my experience, has come the closest.

So I guess we're doomed to repeat the experiment.

None of that prevents discussion of other devices or OS - and indeed these do occur. If not directly then by way of posting of news or technology articles to stimulate discussion.

I have watched and commented on the T-Mobile Pulse since it was first announced. If I were buying Christmas tech presents for friends or family I would have it fairly high up on my shopping list. T-Mobile, yet again, break new ground by being first to bring Android to PAYG, and for that reason alone they deserve to succeed.

gorilla
11th December 2009, 08:29 AM
It's all miffed's fault :D He still hasn't written a review of the new toy, it can't still be in transit :p

miffed
11th December 2009, 09:31 AM
Should be here today ! (I hope ) - T-mobile ran out of stock and mailed me yesterday to tell me it's on it's way , at last
I think using the iPhone's touchscreen as a benchmark is a perfectly acceptable thing to do ! I have used touchscreen devices since the XDA , and despite nearly a decade of "practice" no one managed to make a decent implementation of a touchscreen (in terms of both functionality and UI) until the iPhone , and even since , no one (or very few at least) have come close to replicating the experience .
We could compare the experience to that of the SE P800 , or the Handspring Treo 270 , .....But what would be the point of that ?

hecatae
11th December 2009, 11:21 AM
my p800 touchscreen was fantastic

The Mullet of G
11th December 2009, 02:19 PM
Page 3 sniper. :)

TMOG™ Encouraging people to post more since 2001. ;)

Back on topic, what is the impact of the limited amount of storage for apps and stuff on Android? Is there any way round it? Is it even an issue?

hecatae
11th December 2009, 03:27 PM
apps2sd resolves the memory issue, i think you have to root your phone to use it though

Hands0n
11th December 2009, 03:43 PM
Yea, apps2sd is the answer - although [unless I dreamed it] there is a paid-for app that allows you to do the same thing. Also rumours that Android 2.0 will get around that particular issue.

If you're really into this stuff - there is a discussion on the official Android group http://groups.google.com/group/android-platform/browse_thread/thread/bf0709c157451cd9

Hands0n
11th December 2009, 03:44 PM
my p800 touchscreen was fantastic

In relation to what? :D

miffed
11th December 2009, 04:59 PM
Well , its here and I have to say , that all things considered - it is possibly the best handset I've ever bought !

Of course , a large factor here is the price tag - OK so the £91 thing was an offer ,but even at the £137 full price , it is still pretty damn amazing !

I bought the HTC Magic on Vodafone , and on the whole I like it , but the one thing that lets it down is that the screen is just that tiny bit too small , some of the fonts are too small for my 38 year old eyes , and for the same reason aspects of the OS become fiddly , for example I'd hear the notification tone, then try an drag the botifications menu down , but would have to have about 3 stabs at it to get it down !

Now the Touch only just trumps the Magic here (3.5" vs 3.2" ) - but that .3" really does make a difference , suddenly everything is big enough to make the whole thing more workable (for me at least !) this seems like a small thing , but it makes a world of difference to the feel of the OS .

Not only is the screen bigger , but it is also brighter , and I swear it is more responsive than the Magic , or at least it is when you remove the screen protector !! (Is it just me that can't stand these things ? )

And then there is the sound , nice and loud on the Pulse, pathetic on the Magic .

I was a little sceptical when I read that the Pulse runs 1.5 cupcake , after all the Magic updated to 1.6 (hell , even Vodafone got around to dishing out the update !) - so I was a little miffed as to why this device was running 1.5 .... But I am actually finding the pulse feels slicker in some respects than the Magic with its 1.6 ! , first example is when picking up the damn thing , I never got used to pressing a button to wake the Magic , then having to press the right button to unlock the screen (sounds petty , but I'm spoiled by the iPhone !) a few years back I have laughed at this , but in truth , when I pick up the Magic ,I spend about 5 seconds thinking about what I am doing !! , whereas the iphone's "swipe to unlock" is simply and automatic - The pulse pretty much replicates this , a quick swipe up and you are in business - Another magic "niggle" solved :)

Now , despite running 1.5 , I have to say the T-mobile implementation of Android seems much nicer than the one on the Magic , I was under the impression that Android was Android was Android , but their are a lot of nicer touches on the Pulse , larger canvas with better widgets , I like the "softkey" style buttons the (better) contacts app ,and the Apps folder , which flips around rather than being pulled up from the bottom

Not sure if it is just the big screen , but browsing is more , well , Do - able on the Pulse too , and the Keyboard(s) seem better than the Magic's versions

Another cool thing is the SMS notifications , on the magic you get an icon of a postcard on the taskbar (cool eh ? :confused: ) , whereas the pulse gives you not only a pop up window , but the text of the message scrolls along the taskbar too.

There is some interesting bundles software - Demo version of Documents to go , and full version (I think ? ) of Roadsync , giving MS Exchange support - along with all the usual Android goodies.

Downsides ? Well , it is cheap and plasticy feeling , but no more than the HTC Magic , and less than the G1 IMO , but lets make no mistake. it IS cheap !! , I feel the device offers such tremendous value for money , that you'd expect to find corners cut in build quality though !

Thee camera is poor , but then I am not a huge fan of mobile phone cameras anyway , I'll take a photo in daylight and post it up , just tried one indoors and simply cannot get anything resembling focus :D - I am sure it will be fine for what it is intended for (i.e. snapshots)

So , I have to say without question , this is the best device I have bought for less than £100 brand new ! And arguably it is among the best handsets I have ever bought , regardless of price !

....Oh , one annoyance ! after waiting all that time for the phone - I fired it up ,and tried to sync - No data

There was a letter with the phone that said "Your £10 top up has been loaded so you are ready to go" .... on clioser inspection It also read "your top up may take up to 48hrs to appear on your account" - checked , and sure enough balance was zero ..... Thank heavens for Wi-fi !

I am totally in awe of this budget device ! , so far the only thing the Magic has over it , it the track ball , which lights white when you have a notification , other than that , the Pulse seems to beat it on all counts from fwhat I've seen so far.

hecatae
11th December 2009, 11:44 PM
android.modaco.com have a custom rom with no t-mobile branding available

Ben
12th December 2009, 01:51 AM
Wow, that's impressive, miffed! Sounds like a lot of people could be unwrapping a treat this Christmas :) Thanks for the detailed writeup!

miffed
12th December 2009, 08:22 AM
I think this device could do wonders for Android , One on these on every network - By "one of these" I mean a similarly specced & specced Android, not necessarily a pulse,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv1iJQTn5zA

Hands0n
12th December 2009, 08:38 AM
Nice video - very different UI behavior to Android Cupcake, different options on the homescreen (i.e. Wildcard).

What is the UK T-Mobile policy on unlocking PAYG?
It can be bought privately for £24.99 ( http://www.mobilecode.co.uk/products/Unlock_T_Mobile_Pulse_Unlock_T_Mobile_Huawei_8220-367-0.html )

Or even for £7.40 on eBay (seller has 99.5% rating) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120502890843#ht_6823wt_1110

I'm considering getting one for the Mrs ....

miffed
12th December 2009, 02:59 PM
OK , I just took a picture with my Pulse , and then the same shot with the iphone 3gs

Not really much to say is there ? ..... And yes , I realise it looks like I have messed up the pulse pic on purpose , but I swear to you I put devoted the same attention to both shots ! and in all honesty I can't be doing with having to put effort into taking a photo anyway , shame as I know a lot of people expect their phone to perform like a Canon 400d.. so this is likely to cause disappointment

The Mullet of G
14th December 2009, 12:41 PM
I previously seen some sample pics from a Pulse and they were similarly bad, and also had those weird lines through the picture. Maybe something that can be improved via firmware, or maybe not. Either way its a minor point on what seems to be a pretty awesome phone, at an equally awesome price.

miffed
14th December 2009, 03:23 PM
Most frustrating !

Took a photo of myself with the front facing camera (see attatched) and it cam out fine - nothing special , but still managed to highlight my youthfull , handsome features .

This frustrated me a bit , so I decide to check the lens (half expecting to find I had left the sticky tab thing on it or something - and I found that this is the source of the problems ! - the lens (by the lens , I mean the plastic window on the back cover , not the camera lens) looks to be mad of cheap plastic , which distorts the light !

Ridiculous ! , a lot o people worry about having a decent camera on a phone ,and to make a poor but adequate camera unusable by using cheap plastic here is just silly

miffed
14th December 2009, 08:18 PM
I am now running the custom Vanilla ROM from Modaco - All the T-mobile stuff was interesting , but it did seem to slow the Pulse down a little for my liking.
Rooting the Pulse and installing the ROM was simple -no messing around with SDK's and typing commands in terminal or anything , Simply ran an app (from Windows 7 via Bootcamp) and Rooted - then installed from an update.zip - this is how it should be ! Trying to Root and flash the HTC Magic was a royal pain , and I eventually gave up.
Now I've customised with a few widgets and shorcuts , I am really loving this phone . I have shown it to a few people t work ... let them have a play and then asked them what they thought it was worth ? most of them guessed at £3-400 , including an HTC Hero owner - who agreed with me that the larger screen makes for a far better Android experience !
This £91.00 phone as done more to convince me that Android is a viable alternative to the iPhone than the HTC magic did . I can see myself being happy with a top notch Android device instead of an iPhone at some point now , ...but not just yet !

Hands0n
14th December 2009, 11:11 PM
So ... what I'm reading is that, camera aside, this is a worthy Android handset. But it is a real pity about that camera - it may well be the achilles heel for this handset. Which is a shame really, given that everything else about it seems to be to the correct side of right :)

miffed
15th December 2009, 06:57 AM
But thats the silly thing , the camera is ..well , adequate ! - it's just the cheap lens in the battery cover !
Personally the camera doesn't bother me , if it did I'd be tempted to rectify it with a little DIY , but I just won't bother using it - it's just that for some , I know this will be the difference between a phone they can and cannot use.

Hands0n
15th December 2009, 07:04 AM
Can you try taking a picture with the battery cover removed? That would give an idea of how good the camera actually was by itself.

As you say, if it really is just a tatty bit of plastic lens covering that is at issue I'd be the first to replace it :)

miffed
15th December 2009, 08:24 AM
Thats exactly what I am saying mate , take a photo without the battery cover and it is OK , focuses and everything !
OK it is not brilliant , but is usable , with the battery cover on it simply won't focus.

I'll post an example

gorilla
15th December 2009, 08:30 AM
I think what we're getting at here is that Android is competent on £100 PAYG handsets i.e. relatively cheap handsets.
What will stop Android's progress? Compatibility issues, mobile operators injecting their own code? Or will Android just get better and better and cheaper?

miffed
15th December 2009, 08:35 AM
Here we go , now this was probably a little to close for the Pulses cheap camera , so even the "Good" one hasn't focused properly , but I think you can see the problems the battery cover causes

Hands0n
15th December 2009, 01:05 PM
Wow! That is a world of difference to with the cover on!!

The thing is, I am not an avid cameraphone snapper - but it would be tragic for there to be a photo opportunity and have something so incapable in the pocket when you'd expect it to work as capably as any other cheap handset. Many would outstrip the Pulse's by your example pics.

@Gorilla - I would expect Android as an OS to improve and develop along the lines of any other OS. Already we see some diversion from the baseline (the G1's Cupcake and latterly Donut). This is not good for Android because it introduces variances that are simply not apparent on any handset that preceded it.

In terms of Android hardware - I suspect that the longer-in-the-tooth manufacturers such as HTC, Motorola, Samsung even, will produce better quality hardware than the Chinese entrants. They are not yet used to the quality demands of our much more mature market. The Pulse may well go down well in Beijing but in London it may well end up being looked upon with disdain, simply because of the camera issues that Miffed has shown us.

That old adage - 'Spoil the ship for a ha'pworth of tar' - applies in Huawei's case. They've certainly spoiled this particular ship, even at sub-£100 cost.

Idiom: Spoil the ship for a ha'pworth of tar

Idiom Definitions for 'Spoil the ship for a ha'pworth of tar'

If someone spoils the ship for a ha'pworth (halfpenny's worth) of tar, they spoil something completely by trying to make a small economy.

Source: http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/spoil+the+ship+for+a+ha%27pworth+of+tar.html

The Mullet of G
15th December 2009, 05:23 PM
Here we go , now this was probably a little to close for the Pulses cheap camera , so even the "Good" one hasn't focused properly , but I think you can see the problems the battery cover causes

Nokia 5800 has a similar issue, although its not nearly as bad. The issue I feel with the 5800 is the flash is too close to the lens and both the camera and flash are behind the same small bit of plastic. When the flash goes off it leaks across the plastic cover to the lens and washes out the picture a bit. I read somewhere else that it was caused by a build up of battery gas on the lens, but I was too busy laughing my internal organs to bits to actually take it seriously. :D