View Full Version : iPhone carrier settings update.

@NickyColman
4th December 2009, 06:59 PM
iTunes just informed me of a carrier update for my iPhone on Vodafone.

After the small update, VodafoneUK now stays permanently on my screen rather than 'voda. . .'

No biggy, just thought I'd share! :D

Below is the before & after

chagle
4th December 2009, 07:06 PM
Awww. In preparation for next month.

Ben
4th December 2009, 11:10 PM
I want!

*plugs into iTunes*

Ben
4th December 2009, 11:28 PM
*plugs into iTunes*
Came straight up! Also changes the access point to wap.vodafone.co.uk with username and password wap.

Carrier "vodafone UK 5.1".

I had already found a numeric string to change my voicemail number to 121, but I assume it would also do that.

Very cool :D

@NickyColman
4th December 2009, 11:36 PM
I wish there was a way to edit it the Carrier name on the screen. It's awful the way it's displayed. And I'm not prepared to Jailbreak just to have such feature.

Sort it apple!

Ben
4th December 2009, 11:40 PM
LoL it's not too bad, but I agree it's not great. I posted somewhere an unofficial Vodafone carrier settings update that puts a rather cool Vodafone logo on the screen instead.

Ah here it is: https://talk3g.co.uk/showpost.php?p=36130&postcount=10

Don't think it requires a jailbreak :) I'm gunna keep mine as-is, though. It may not look aesthetically wonderful, but I do like 'official' - idk why.

@NickyColman
5th December 2009, 12:07 PM
Just tried the procedure Ben mentioned to get a custom-carrier file!!

Tell me what you think?

THANKS BEN!

@NickyColman
5th December 2009, 12:19 PM
Also found one that works on O2 too.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055605455

Its the final file at the end of the thread. :D

Ben
5th December 2009, 12:26 PM
Looks good, Nicky!

miffed
6th January 2010, 04:41 PM
Do any of you guys have MMS working properly on Vodafone ?

I bought the wife a 3GS , so I have inherited my old 3G back , and decided to unlock it (via Blacksn0w) and pop the Vodafone sim in for a while

I copied the settings across from my HTC Magic , and the Data connection works fine , but MMS doesn't !

I then plugged into iTunes and it detected the phone was unlocked (!) and supplied a carrier update - but still no MMS

When I send an MMS to the phone , I get an SMS directing me to the Vodafone site to download it - Word on the forums suggest that this means MMS is not enabled on my SIM , but this is not the case as MMS works on the magic fine !

Not sure if this is a curse or a blessing , with MMS being a "premium" service on Vodafone , but it would be nice to have everything working properly !

Ben
6th January 2010, 05:20 PM
Mine just worked. What settings have you got in there?

DBMandrake
6th January 2010, 07:03 PM
When first setting up MMS on a new phone, (new to that network/SIM, not sure exactly which) you must first send an MMS before you can receive any.

If you just put a SIM into a phone the network hasn't seen with that SIM before, (based on IMEI I presume) the network doesn't know what the capabilities of the phone are and whether it can receive MMS messages, so it plays it safe and assumes it can't.

As soon as you successfully send an outgoing MMS from that phone the network says "aha, MMS capable phone, future incoming MMS's will be delivered directly".

Hands0n
6th January 2010, 07:52 PM
@miffed - possibly a daft question but ... do you have the MMS APN correctly set in the iPhone?

APN idata.o2.co.uk
Username vertigo
Password password
MMSC http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002
MS Proxy 193.113.200.195:8080

miffed
6th January 2010, 08:02 PM
Yes mate , its set to http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlet/mms - Which is correct AFAIK

gorilla
7th January 2010, 08:59 AM
Why not get the 3G unlocked officially so you can get the official carrier update?

DBMandrake
7th January 2010, 09:43 AM
Yes mate , its set to http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlet/mms - Which is correct AFAIK
That's not the APN, that's the MMSC. To get MMS working you need the APN, username and password, MMSC, and MMS Proxy all set correctly. You also need to reboot the phone after setting them and then send one outgoing MMS to enable MMS at the network side.

It's best to allow the carrier settings update from iTunes to configure everything for you though.

If you go to Settings->General->About and scroll down to carrier, does it say vodafone UK 5.1 ?

Why not get the 3G unlocked officially so you can get the official carrier update?

While I recommend miffed does get his iPhone officially unlocked, since it avoids the whole jailbreaking cat and mouse game, I'm pretty sure you don't have to officially unlock to receive the carrier settings updates from iTunes - if the Vodafone SIM is in when iTunes is synced and the carrier settings file is not already up to date, it should offer to install it.

miffed
7th January 2010, 10:59 AM
Ah , sorry for the confusion , because the MMSC was "highlighted" in Hans0n's post I thought he was referring to the MMSC setting , - Both the APN and the MMSC are correct though - I hunted down the "working" settings on the internet , and then also tried the official "Carrier Update" ones from iTunes ... to no avail
unable to send , or receive - but then I put the SIM back into the Magic (identical settings) and it all works fine !
As you suggest , this may be down to the Nature of the Unlock , so an offical unlock is applied for !
In the meantime , I decided to pull the T-mobile SIM out of my Pulse and chuck that in the 3G - and I am glad I did ! no configuration whatosever ! just worked all on its own. but the weird thing is that when I look in the settings pane , all the fields are blank !
I do like T-mobile , it is nice to have their robust coverage back !

DBMandrake
7th January 2010, 12:50 PM
T-Mobile MMS worked without any settings at all in the cellular data section ? Sorry but I don't see how this is possible, how would the phone know what the message centre URL was ? It might work without the APN set, but the MMSC is essential information.

As well as that, I have a T-Mobile SIM and MMS didn't work for me until I looked up the settings on the internet and manually entered them...same for any provider without an official carrier settings file.

It also makes no sense why it wouldn't work on Vodafone even with the carrier settings update - although I have never attempted to send an MMS using Vodafone before.

Sorry, stumped, without more information...

miffed
7th January 2010, 01:12 PM
T-Mobile MMS worked without any settings at all in the cellular data section ? Sorry but I don't see how this is possible,

Me neither - When I started the phone up , I looked to see if the settings had found there own way there and EVERY field was blank - I then started looking on the internet to get the correct ones (on my computer) and the mail application "beeped" , I tried Safari and it worked , I then sent an MMS and this worked too ...... checked back to the settings pane and it was still all blank

All I can think is that it has got the settings from somewhere (perhaps auto configured them from the SIM ? ) and not updated them in the preferences UI

Ben
7th January 2010, 07:55 PM
If the settings the phone is using and the settings the phone is displaying have somehow become unlinked then that would explain a lot!

Any hope of an official unlock? Might be worth restoring the firmware either way.

miffed
11th January 2010, 09:02 AM
Ah , Mystery over !

I put the SIM back in the Magic only to find MMS not working on there either (it had previously worked ,I still have MMS's on the phone to prove it !)

So I emailed Vodafone CS , and got the following reply

Hi XXXX,

Let me help you to send and receive picture messaging from HTC Magic phone.

XXXX, to be able to send and receive picture messages, you will require the following :
- Compatible phone.
- GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) and MMS (Multimedia Messaging) services added to your account.
- Correct settings. (NOT ALWAYS REQUIRED)

I have checked your account and can confirm that (General Packet Radio Service) is active but, the MMS (Multimedia Messaging) service is not active on your account.

I'm pleased to confirm that I've added MMS service.

You need to logon to our website on

www.devicehelp.vodafone.co.uk and you'll be able to download the setting on your HTC Magic phone.
XXXX, if you still face any problem get back to me and I'll send your the WAP and MMS setting manually.
Trust with the above information you’ll be able to enjoy the picture messaging on your phone.

I've also attached a short customer feedback questionnaire and would really appreciate your thoughts to help us improve our service and I can assure you, this will be treated in confidence. Just click here to start.

Kind regards,

Mohammad Sheikh
Vodafone Customer Services

.....So it appear the lovely Vodafone simply decided to turn my service off , but thanks to the the nice Mr Mohammad Sheikh ( Nice of him to take time out from ruling Dubai ) ..I am now getting the service I pay them for !

Ben
11th January 2010, 10:09 AM
That's so bizarre, why the hell would MMS get turned off?

I wonder if they're trying to do some funky stuff when you put a SIM in an iPhone (like O2 do with all the automatic MMS 'configuration' texts) and it just totally didn't work? Doesn't sound likely. As I said, bizarre; though not in the context of your own personal Vodafone hell dimension =D