View Full Version : Nokia closing flagship store

Ben
7th December 2009, 01:33 AM
Dan tweeted about this the other day, I think. TR have also mentioned it in one of their news stories... saying "...the Finns say it simply hasn't proved profitable..."

Now, I'm sorry, but surely the intention was never for the store to be profitable and for it to be a showcase of Nokia's fantastical and non-norm? What did they expect? To be able to sell full-priced Nokia handsets en-masse when they can be picked up a few stores down for free on contract? :S

Anyway, big mistake IMHO. They should maintain a flagship store in the capital to showcase what they're all about.

Hands0n
7th December 2009, 07:31 PM
This is all part of the purposeful running down of Nokia's mobile phone business. I suspect that in a year or two the Nokia we see then will be a mere shadow of its former self. But the killer question is ... why?

The Mullet of G
8th December 2009, 10:35 AM
I expect Nokia will probably go bust in a few weeks, what with losing the revenue that said flagship store provided. Seriously get the internet or visit the carphonewarehouse, they have the same stuff and you don't have to travel to London to see it. :)

Ben
8th December 2009, 12:17 PM
I expect Nokia will probably go bust in a few weeks
You heard it here first, folks!

If the store closure is part of a refocus on producing great phones and new innovations then it's a good thing. Nokia producing a much smaller number of high end phones next year is a hint that such a refocus might be taking place.

gorilla
8th December 2009, 01:31 PM
I've never been into a nokia store and have no desire to do so.

That will be the reason it's being closed.

Yes, I am that important!!! :D

The Mullet of G
8th December 2009, 07:30 PM
I too have never visited the flagship store. :)

Hands0n
8th December 2009, 09:31 PM
Me too :D

miffed
8th December 2009, 09:44 PM
Quite logical I suppose , as Nokia haven't had a product worth showcasing for a while now.

Hands0n
8th December 2009, 09:54 PM
Have they ever though? I cannot say that anything Nokia has exactly floated my boat, spun my wheels, tickled my fancy much. Even the N95 that I did have a hankering for was spoiled by (a) having crap firmware and (b) appearing stuck to the ear of every Chav I happened upon! It put me right off, I can tell you.

Nothing much would drag me to the West End to see a bunch of overpriced underqualified devices.

Now an Android store, what with the prices that these devices are coming out at, would be another proposition entirely. Imagine what Nokia would charge for something as capable as the Motorola Droid/Millenium? We'd be talking second mortgage at least ;)

The Mullet of G
9th December 2009, 10:50 AM
Flagship stores are just a place for nerds to que when a new product is launched. The other 99.9% of the population simply doesn't care. :)

gorilla
9th December 2009, 11:48 AM
What service does a flagship store provide? I'll compare it to an Apple store which is the only experience I have.

Apple have a range of own brand products and accessories. They provide in store training and after sales support. I understand why people go into an Apple store, it's not just about one product but a whole range of needs.

Nokia on the other hand, phones, phones and more phones (and a tablet!), but only nokia phones! Aren't they competing with carphone warehouse and phones4u?

getti
9th December 2009, 12:13 PM
I will be sad to see the shop go but mainly because of the staff in the store having to either move positions or leave the company and looking for work these days it not easy.

I visit the store every time I go to London (then skip over the road to the Apple store). And I have to admit all the times I have been in there.... i have NEVER bought anything

Hands0n
10th December 2009, 10:07 PM
Blimey! Coming from Getti that is something ;) I'd have expected him to discharge his wallet on each visit like some other people do in Apple stores :eek:

What are these manufacturer stores all about then?