View Full Version : It seems Vodafone have the EDGE.

@NickyColman
8th December 2009, 10:44 PM
Today, when I left the house my iPhone disconnected from my home wifi as it usually does and where it would normally flicker between a 2G/3G signal - something funny happened!

An E appeared.

An E which, all O2 iPhoners will know, stands for EDGE or 2.75G as I've heard it referred. It offers a bridge between 2G or 'o' & 3G where one or t'other is not available.

The reason I was surprised is that I've never seen/heard anything regarding Vodafone and EDGE. It was primarily O2 & Orange's domain (mainly O2 when they announced the 2G iPhone and that they would boost their 2G network with EDGE to help data speeds).

As any of my Twitter friends will know, I tweeted my findings straight away. Within an hour or so, the official Vodafone (@VodafoneUK) twitterererer, responded with this;

"VodafoneUK - @benfitter @NickyColman We're using EDGE to support high demand for data usage in some areas.Let us know what your EDGE exp. is like.Thanks"

So just to make sure it wasnt a one off, I checked the normal 3G blackspot up the road from me and sure as eggs is eggs FULL EDGE. (see screenshot).

Its a 'backwards' step of sorts; why are Vodafone concentrating on EDGE rather than 3G or 3G+/HSDPA/3.5G etc? Yet at the same time, I think its good that Vodafone are "deepening" their network rather than going from high-speed 3G down to a snails pace with 2G.

Either way, an interesting move from the big red one.

getti
8th December 2009, 10:55 PM
I got EDGE on VOdafone in Paddington Station a few weeks back. Will be down to the partnership on sharing masts with O2 I would imagine as O2 use EDGE.

The good thing is Vodafone have a great 3G/HSPA network when not getting EDGE, O2 is just a joke for 3G most of the time

Hands0n
8th December 2009, 11:06 PM
This is not really what I wanted to hear. EDGE is better than nothing, but when thinking of moving to Vodafone I really do want to know that I am going to get a better 3G service than the nonexistent one I am paying O2 for!

If this persists I may have to take yet another look at 3 come 1/2/2010

Ben
9th December 2009, 01:30 AM
I'm happy to accept EDGE as a stopgap where they can 'update' sites without spending any serious money on them. As soon as the operators can deploy 3G at 900MHz, though, they need to get into gear and build out.