View Full Version : VMware on an N800

The Mullet of G
9th December 2009, 04:36 PM
Not really sure if this is the right place to post this, or indeed if anyone actually cares, but personally I think its pretty cool. :)

http://dailymobile.se/2009/12/08/two-operating-systems-running-on-one-phone-vmware-demo/

Ben
9th December 2009, 11:01 PM
Virtualisation in the mobile space is a good idea now that we've got several full-on mobile operating systems. The prospective user base for this must be mind-bogglingly tiny at the moment, though... I assume VMWare have a pretty specific business plan if they're making all this investment. I mean, it'd be great for testing apps, or for a sysadmin who perhaps needs different platforms to access different services. Maybe it'd even be great as a work vs pleasure divider.

miffed
10th December 2009, 08:33 AM
Cool story bro ;)

Interesting - By that I mean interesting as to why they'd choose to demonstrate this on a obsolete non-phone device that no one is interested in ?
Maybe they should have chosen an altogether more relevant platform , like Mobile OS X ?

The Mullet of G
10th December 2009, 10:40 AM
Virtualisation in the mobile space is a good idea now that we've got several full-on mobile operating systems. The prospective user base for this must be mind-bogglingly tiny at the moment, though... I assume VMWare have a pretty specific business plan if they're making all this investment. I mean, it'd be great for testing apps, or for a sysadmin who perhaps needs different platforms to access different services. Maybe it'd even be great as a work vs pleasure divider.

Yeah totally agree, not sure how big a market there is for VMware on a mobile phone, if any at all. From a geek stand point and being able to run more than one OS on my mobile hardware....yeah I want that, just not sure if I'd be willing to pay for it though.

Cool story bro ;)

Interesting - By that I mean interesting as to why they'd choose to demonstrate this on a obsolete non-phone device that no one is interested in ?
Maybe they should have chosen an altogether more relevant platform , like Mobile OS X ?

Obvious troll is obvious. :)

Ben
10th December 2009, 02:03 PM
Yeah totally agree, not sure how big a market there is for VMware on a mobile phone, if any at all. From a geek stand point and being able to run more than one OS on my mobile hardware....yeah I want that, just not sure if I'd be willing to pay for it though.
Yeah... me thinks sticker price will be high. But since when do you pay for things anyway? ;)

Hands0n
10th December 2009, 10:02 PM
Well, its certainly a novel idea looking for problems to solve.

The Mullet of G
11th December 2009, 02:23 PM
Yeah... me thinks sticker price will be high. But since when do you pay for things anyway? ;)

Yeah can't see it being cheap. And I'll have you know I bought MTVoids ControlFreak back in the early days of S60, but besides that you have a point. :D

hecatae
11th December 2009, 03:26 PM
windows 3.1 runs well on an n800

The Mullet of G
14th December 2009, 12:42 PM
Windows 3.1 also runs on a 5800, as does Windows 95 and 98....albeit not very well. :)