View Full Version : Google Nexus One

Ben
14th December 2009, 01:19 PM
Thread dedicated to the Google Nexus One, manufactured by HTC. User experiences, reviews, and videos within.
--
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/13/the_googlephone_exists/

Internal testing unit or next big thing? The press seems to think the latter.

Hands0n
14th December 2009, 07:23 PM
If this is the hotly disputed [by Google] Google Phone then I'm all for it. This will be the Android reference handset.

Of course, Google is already receiving the same treatment that the iPhone and Apple sustains. I suppose that the rival fanbois have a very limited imagination (i.e. if it isn't Windoze then it isn't).

Ben
14th December 2009, 10:07 PM
I would certainly like Google to outline its vision of a mobile handset. If it has to do that by releasing its own device then that works for me. It's an open OS, so in theory the competition shouldn't deter other manufacturers from sticking with the platform, too.

Hands0n
15th December 2009, 07:09 AM
Eleven pretty pictures from Endgadget here --> http://www.engadget.com/photos/google-phone-nexus-one-exclusive-photos/2531511#2531511

gorilla
15th December 2009, 08:33 AM
I'm reading rumours (yes rumours!) that suggest the handset may become available from the 5th of January both unlocked and carrier subsidised. If this is indeed the HTC Passion, then we already know that it's in development.
My only concern with a Google branded phone is the potential for annoying ads, but for the right price I could easily be convinced.

Ben
15th December 2009, 11:23 AM
I'd be tempted to give one of these a go, just for fun you understand :)

...if it does indeed surface any time soon.

Hands0n
15th December 2009, 01:18 PM
I'm game for one of these - especially as it will have the latest Android 2.1 and likely to keep pace with Android as it develops.

Other manufacturers make no such commitment - witness Samsung with their Galaxy who's users are still waiting for Donut (1.6) and likely to do so until January 2010 - if the silence from and speculation about Samsung is anything to go by.

At present only HTC and Motorola seem to be playing the Android game fairly and promptly.

Ben
30th December 2009, 11:20 AM
Ok, I want.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile-phones/news/2009/12/30/Nexus-One--Google-Phone--Priced---Dated/p1

Hands0n
30th December 2009, 02:16 PM
LOL - Eagerly awaited by me also.

The early talk was that the Google Phone (the Nexus) would be as cheap as chips, and some expected it to be as little as £100. A bit far fetched if you ask me. And so I am not at all surprised at the £370 price for an unlocked version - albeit that is TR's straight conversion from $530. In reality, I expect the Nexus to be nearer £450 after the usual rip-off-Britain exchange rate is applied (rather than the genuine Forex rate).

Still, it is going to be the most powerful Android handset in the first half of 2010, unless no one else brings out something more powerful.

"Google, with support from T-Mobile, is scheduled to launch a new Android device in early January," it explains. "The Google Android phone will be sold directly by Google via the Web. Support for the device including troubleshooting and exchanges will be managed by Google and HTC. T-Mobile will offer service support including billing, coverage, features, and rate plans. Additional details Streamline content regarding the launch of Google’s Android phone will be coming in early January."

Source TR: http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile-phones/news/2009/12/30/Nexus-One--Google-Phone--Priced---Dated/p1

One hopes this will be available on our shores in time for one's contract expiry in 1/2/2010 ;)

solo12002
5th January 2010, 07:27 PM
Well hers the info on it. Just like Nokia if you are in the UK you have to wait untill spring, not sure if you can buy it now sim free details here:

http://www.google.com/phone/

3GScottishUser
5th January 2010, 07:31 PM
All of the details have now been released officially.

It's being made by HTC.

Nexus One will be available as SIM Free or a Vodafone exclusive in Europe.

http://www.google.com/phone

More Info:The Nexus One features a 3.7in AMOLED display, with a resolution 800x480. The screen has a 100,000:1 contrast ratio and a response time of 1ms. It has an illuminated trackball which can emit different colors of light based on the type of notification being received. The phone has two microphones, one on the front and one on the back, to enable noise cancellation to reduce background noise during phone conversations. A standard 3.5mm headphone jack is also provided.

The phone features a 1Ghz Qualcomm 8250 processor, 512MB of RAM and 512MB of internal Flash storage, a 5MP auto-focus camera with LED flash and digital zoom, GPS receiver, light and proximity sensors, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, and 802.11b/g/n Wifi capabilities. It provides hardware decoding for H.263, H.264 and MPEG-4 video, and is capable of playing MP3, AAC+, Ogg Vorbis, WAV and MIDI audio, and displaying the JPEG, GIF, PNG and BMP image formats. It has a standard micro USB port rather than the proprietary HTC connector, and has an SD card slot to allow expansion to upto 32 gigabytes of storage. Initially applications from the Android store will be limited to the 512MB of internal flash memory, although application storage on removable SD cards will be enabled once security and piracy concerns have been addressed.

The phone weighs 130g and has size dimensions of 119x59.8x11.5mm It is powered by a removable 1400mAh battery, expected to last upto 290 hours on standby, 10 hours talktime or 5 hours while browsing the internet.

Looks very promising.

solo12002
5th January 2010, 07:44 PM
" Looks very promising"

Problem is after all the hype and talk, its not released in UK untill spring, by which time most ppl will of brought another mobile or apple have released a new iphone.

Not very good thinking on googles part. Ive the money for a phone but Im fed if im going to wait 5 to 6 months for this, i can get the hero or put it towards an iphone now

gorilla
5th January 2010, 07:56 PM
If you go for the sim free option it will ship to UK addresses now.

Looks like an interesting device, but to soon for me to be thinking about replacing the 3GS. I'm totally convinced I'll be going Android next time though.

timothythetim
5th January 2010, 08:11 PM
Hello Talk3G, haven't posted in a while (mainly due to getting an N96 and being rather disappointed with it)

I just ordered a sim free Nexus One. I hope it lives up to the hype...
$578 once shipping and a "country specific AC adapter" had been added.

solo12002
5th January 2010, 08:20 PM
whats $578 in uk pounds lol

Hands0n
5th January 2010, 08:30 PM
whats $578 in uk pounds lol

It works out to £357.87 at today's last exchange rate. Then there will be shipping and any import duty to pay - if it gets snagged at Customs (alway a risk).

I'm inclined to wait for the handset to be available in the UK with EU warranty and VAT paid.

Edit: I just went through the purchase sequence and see that the $578.64 includes DHL shipping to the UK.

Also - Warranty is 2 years for EU purchasers ... less reason not to buy one now!!! :eek: :eek:

You agree that Google is not the manufacturer, but the seller, of the Device. You acknowledge that HTC is the manufacturer of the Device and provides the Limited Warranty for repairs and service of the Device. Please refer to http://www.google.com/support/android/bin/answer.py?answer=166519 or the warranty card in the Device package for details on the HTC Limited Warranty terms and how to make a claim under the HTC Limited Warranty. If you are a purchaser of the Device in the EU, you are entitled to a two-year warranty for parts, labor, and service. If you are a purchaser of the Device outside of the EU, you are entitled to a one-year warranty for parts, labor, and service. These warranties are in addition to and do not affect your legal rights as a consumer.

3GScottishUser
5th January 2010, 08:37 PM
They probably wont ship to the UK from the US and it looks like the European Model will be slightly different.

Best to wait and get the European model which will have a proper warranty etc.

I can see Vodafone offering this free on their £35+ contract deals as Google has been reported to be making nothing on the hardware.

timothythetim
5th January 2010, 08:41 PM
They probably wont ship to the UK from the US and it looks like the European Model will be slightly different.

Best to wait and get the European model which will have a proper warranty etc.

I can see Vodafone offering this free on their £35+ contract deals as Google has been reported to be making nothing on the hardware.
They definitely do ship to the UK. I think they are shipping to four markets initially, US, UK, Singapore and Hong Kong.

Hands0n
5th January 2010, 08:42 PM
Bugger! I just went and ordered one :D

3GScottishUser
5th January 2010, 08:54 PM
Unusual for a hardware compny to sell directly to customers before involving a network. This could complicate things for your average customer in terms of settings etc.

Hands0n
5th January 2010, 09:04 PM
Nah - the nice thing about Android is that its all been done before.

So the Vodafone settings (thats the network its going on to replace my Magic) are a simple matter of copying the APN settings over. Even simpler using the Android app "APN Backup & Restore" - 'A simple App to backup and restore APNs. The backup is stored in the /sdcard/APNBackupRestore/apnlist.xml file'

I'd not really expect the average punter to be doing what I just done though LOL :D

3GScottishUser
5th January 2010, 10:29 PM
Just saw the BBC 10 O'Clock news item on the Nexus One and I'm impressed!!

You can speak your e-mails and perhaps even SMS? Now that is useful!

It'll be interesting to hear how Hands On gets on with it.

The Google publicity machine seems to have hit the jackpot with lots of forums and sites with rapidly expanding threads and blogs about the new product.

solo12002
5th January 2010, 10:44 PM
cant see how most sites have them or send them as soon as you put your sim in. Lets face it something had to be done, look forward to apple droping the price of iphone to match (cough over apples dead boddy)

Hands0n
5th January 2010, 10:50 PM
Twitter has gone mental - search for #nexusone for a specific channel.

@solo12002 - The only place to get these is via the Google website. No doubt they'll appear on eBay for silly money here as there seems to be no limit to the number you can buy.

3g-g
5th January 2010, 11:59 PM
I'm incredibly tempted.... now, ditch O2 come April when the contract ends, get a SIM free N1 and a 30 day contract job? Upgrade the iPhone 3G and get a 3GS? Or, wait and see if Apple release a new iPhone, however, that could be months knowing Cupertino!

Dilemma!

solo12002
6th January 2010, 01:56 AM
Sorry handon. I dint make my post clear. I was replying to 3GSU who was talking about buying mobile without network setting. I mean you could get the networks MMS settings etc on most sites.

Sorry

miffed
6th January 2010, 07:50 AM
I started reading an article on the BBC website yesterday , but TBH my eyes glazed over when I read the words (yawn !) "iPhone killer" :rolleyes:

...A term which has been applied to every new device since the LG Prada and the N95 !!

I recently bough that T-mobile Pulse, and while there is a certain "wow" factor and it is very nice , it still feels to me like any android phone is as good as any other ! (My experience is limited to the HTC Magic , Dream ,Hero & the T-mobile Pulse ) - therefore I couldn't bring myself to buy a "premium" android JUST yet unless it brings something special to the table

Maybe the Nexus One DOES have that special thing ? I shall await Hands0ns report !!:D (congrats on the purchase !!)

Ben
6th January 2010, 09:56 AM
Indeed, congratulations on the purchase, I'm cautiously standing by to see what you make of the whole palaver!

solo12002
6th January 2010, 12:24 PM
Ok guys some advice.

I set aside £400 with the view to geting an HTC Hero unlocked. As most of do I managed to buy one from a dealer with a good rating on ebay on 14th of December.

However the mobile dint reach reach me and I raised the issue with him and Ebay and Paypal on the24th December.

Upshot is Paypal have upheld my issue and hoopefully I will be refunded my cash of allmost £300 pounds by the end of this week into my bank account, if it does Im left with the issue of what to do, do I do the following:

1. Buy the new goggle phone about £360 (Not even seen the Mobile yet)
2. Buy the HTC Hero as planed
3.Put the cash towards an iphone (Which I think is over priced and will be replaced this year or upgraded to a new Model)

Any comments or views to point me in the right way?

Ta

Ben
6th January 2010, 12:55 PM
Well, my immediate reaction is to order a Nexus One. I can't imagine that the Hero could be a better handset than one Google have put their own name to, and the Nexus One uses powerful components to boot.

Would I want anything other than an iPhone 3GS as my main phone, though? No. I can't imagine the Nexus One doing anything impressive enough that it'd dislodge me from my iPhone. Yes, the iPhone is expensive. Yes, the iPhone will be updated this year, probably in H2. BUT unlike the iPhone 3G, which I think was a little underpowered, the iPhone 3GS continues to blast through anything thrown at it. Apple have also demonstrated their commitment to upgrading the software on older iPhone's for free, so buying an iPhone 3GS now would unlikely be a bad move.

I think it boils down to this:
- If you use many of Google's services then the Nexus One could be the best handset you ever buy. Providing it's good, which we're assuming it is.
- If you're a MobileMe and Safari user and Mac/Apple is more important than Google's services then an iPhone is going to be better.

In terms of UI, iPhone is still going to trump Nexus One, even though Nexus One will have much more diverse functionality.

Hands0n
6th January 2010, 01:22 PM
The Google Nexus One, to give it it's full handle, is the most powerful and well specified Android handset to date. It will be Google's flagship handset for the immediate future and sports a number of improvements over existing and imminent Android handsets.

I had originally lined myself up for the Motorola Milestone (Droid in the US) until I saw example images from its camera. These made the camera in the original iPhone 2G look good by miles! So the Milestone was dropped from my list.

The Nexus has an autofocus lens and LED flash which will go some way to beating all Android handsets to date in that respect.

In terms of performance, the Nexus uses Google's latest 2.1 version of Android coupled with the 1GHz Snapdragon processor and a larger (512MB) memory map than any other handset [so far]. All of this will inevitably improve its performance over the incumbents.

All of that aside, the Nexus One is rather hyped up and so expectations may not be met by everyone. Already there seem to be critical comments being made about the device now that the early users are allowed to comment (since 5th Jan) by Google's NDA.

Time will tell. What I personally hope to gain from the Nexus is an Android handset that is reasonably future-proof. That is, it will have sufficient power to take the future updates to Android as it develops. And one that is a darned sight snappier than all of the Androids that I have experienced so far using stock Android ROMs.

I know that there are much faster Android ROMs out there, and am in fact running Cyanogen's in a rooted G1 very successfully. It is very quick and beats the HTC Magic hands down with its stock Android ROM. But I don't want to have to root and mess around with the Nexus - even though it has been rooted already!

Like my untouched iPhone 3GS I want the Nexus One to win me over on its own merits. I love the Android OS and just need a decent bit of hardware to run it on :D

I'll tell all when it arrives ... no date yet!

gorilla
6th January 2010, 02:16 PM
1. Buy the new goggle phone about £360 (Not even seen the Mobile yet)
2. Buy the HTC Hero as planed
3.Put the cash towards an iphone (Which I think is over priced and will be replaced this year or upgraded to a new Model)

I would rul out the Hero - it's a good handset (very good) but is now just a little cheaper than the Nexus One.

If you want an iPhone, wait for the next model which will likely be in June. Do not buy a 3GS!

Have a look at the nexus one, what it can do and how that fits your day to day life. It's certainly a powerful device that's going to improve with further firmware updates and sim free you could see some benefits in terms of sim only contracts.

Keep us posted with what you decide. I don't think you'd be dissappointed with any of the above, but given that the nexus one is the newest it's going to have a longer life!

Hands0n
6th January 2010, 08:02 PM
Buying the Nexus One from Google's US website is not the cheapest way to get one, if you can afford yourself to wait until it is available officially in the UK. By the time UK customs duty and VAT are applied it is priced like any new smartphone on the likes of Expansys. Although it may well turn out that the official UK SIM-free price will reflect the same duties, VAT and also importer costs.

That said - the Nexus One is the highest spec Android around at the moment and is Google's flagship so is bound to be top of the range. That won't last - other manufacturers will rise to the challenge, and no doubt Google will bring out a Nexus Two in the near future (I'd bet on a slide-out mechanical keyboard).

But one thing is for sure - with the Google Nexus One, like the Apple iPhone, you can rely upon getting Android updates for the forseeable future. That would be unlike the likes of Samsung's Galaxy that is consigned to be stuck with Android 1.5 because they refuse to update it.

solo12002
6th January 2010, 08:22 PM
"By the time UK customs duty and VAT are applied it is priced like any normal vew smartphone on the likes of Expansys"

Which makes me wonder why a UK site was not lunched as well. As for Vodafone getting it, they are not getting it untill the spring whenever that is, is Mar/Apr or May spring?

I think goggle should of released a UK site. if the mobile is £350 before VAT and customs what is the total price likely to be.

Finally now that goggle has done it i bet hell frezzes over before apple allows you to buy an iphone in their shops sim free at a cheaper price. Apple now needs to pull something out of the hat, either allow it to be sold sim free or cut the price.

gorilla
7th January 2010, 09:08 AM
The only thing that stops me saying Android is better than iPhone is iTunes and the whole PC/Mac integration with the phone. I'm not talking about bookmark sync, contact sync or push email. I refer to getting music/video onto the device and that is really easy in iTunes. Yes, on Android it's just drag and drop as well, but as far as I know there is no "iTunes" for Android. For me who listens to loads of podcasts, I would have to either download them direct to the handset (that may well be a bonus?) or use alternative software to manage my podcasts on the computer.

solo12002
7th January 2010, 06:00 PM
Keep using iTunes to buy music, and then use doubleTwist to sync that music to your Android phone

http://androidforums.com/android-media/8943-there-itunes-android.html

Hands0n
7th January 2010, 06:32 PM
Yup, use Doubletwist. I use it do manage my music on the Magic from my iTunes library.

Hands0n
7th January 2010, 10:09 PM
Well it looks like the Nexus is in the UK ... Birmingham by the looks of it.

1/7/2010 9:12 pm Transit through DHL facility East Midlands, United Kingdom
7:36 am Depart Facility Cincinnati Hub, OH
1:45 am Processed at DHL Location. Cincinnati Hub, OH
1:17 am Transit through DHL facility Cincinnati Hub, OH
1/6/2010 11:05 pm Depart Facility Northeast Indianapolis, IN
11:05 pm Processed at DHL Location. Northeast Indianapolis, IN
9:11 pm Departing origin. Northeast Indianapolis, IN
4:22 pm Shipment picked up Northeast Indianapolis, IN

Interesting how quickly this stuff can be moved around the planet. I wonder, then, how long it will take to get to me in London from Birmingham :D

Hands0n
7th January 2010, 10:20 PM
LOL - Its been rooted already!! See here --> http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f56/guide-rooting-and-installing-amon-ras-recovery-on-the-nexus-one-30499/

Hands0n
8th January 2010, 10:29 PM
It arrived this morning, beating me in to the office by about six minutes :D

Very handily there was no requirement for me to pay the courier any VAT or customs duty on the handset. I'm not sure why this is, but it means that the Google Nexus One is the cheapest smartphone of its class, bar none.

First impressions
Tidy, in a word, very tidy indeed. As the pictures of the handset [everywhere] imply, the handset is very slim and sleek. It is quite heavy too, although I'm not sure how much of that is an illusion.

Compared against the obvious, the iPhone, the Nexus One is the same thickness but slimmer by a small degree. The screen is slightly taller.

But nothing really prepares you for the screen as it comes into life. If you have never experienced AMOLED so far then nothing will prepare you for the screen on the Nexus One. It is jaw-droppingly gorgeous. The AMOLED is so brilliant, colours are vibrant and accurate. It is a quality that backlit LCD cannot emulate, a certain quality of high technology at its very best.

At the time of writing this I have not been able to make any use of it because it is on the initial charge - I make a point of ensuring that first charge is performed. A few reports coming from Nexus One owners who have had theirs for a day or two claim battery life of over 27 hours. That is nothing special and probably much to be expected from a current-day smartphone.

I can't wait to start setting it up with the various apps that I normally use and get to work and play with the Nexus One.

solo12002
8th January 2010, 10:54 PM
Nice write hanndson, cant wait for second one as im really thinking of getting one myself, inpressed with the fast shipment given they must have a hell of a lot of orders to fill..

as for VAT etc, watch hrc dont write to in a few weeks/month looking it

Hands0n
9th January 2010, 01:02 AM
With the battery fully charged it was time to play... And I am having some fun with this.

The power up screen offers the first taste of what is to come. The boot animation puts on a pretty little dance for you while the handset gets itself in order.

The first thing to do on any Android handset is to enter your Googlemail credentials. That will get the device busy connecting to Google's servers and sync'ing up all of your Contact and Calendar information.

Ah, yes, but, for it do any of that doesn't the handset need a network connection? Well, yes, of course it does, it cant do it by magic! And so far, all that I've done is power up and sign in - I've not yet got to the bit where you enter in the network details such as APN and stuff ... Now where did I make a note of that information?

But wait! It is sync'ing, or so it says on the notification bar. Sure enough, the Nexus has figured out which APN to use and pulled the detail out from its library - the thing has self-configured. How very fruity ;)

I tried a MMS, an SMS, an eMail and a browser session all of which worked perfectly. So this really is out of the box functionality, working simply, I love it.

Having got this far I was able to use the standard Android menus to enter in the WiFi information - again it quickly finds all reachable wireless networks in its area for you to select. All pretty much standard Android stuff.

The WiFi is fast, very fast, running at 802.11n speeds rather than the 802.11b that we are used to in handsets to date. Working with my Apple AEBS router the Nexus positively whizzes along the Interwebs. Everything and anything to do with Wireless networking is very rapid - noticeably so over both my HTC Magic and iPhone 3GS that use the older [and slower] wireless technology. The range is much better also, with the Nexus able to work further away from the router than my other handsets.

Now, while I am waxing lyrical about fast I simply must mention the browser. To date I have absolutely hated the native Android browser in every handset I've seen or had my hands on. They have all been painfully slow, laggy, clunky, torturous to use. Even Cyanogen's ROM which injects new life into the G1 (another of my collection) exhibits the 'typical' Android browserness.

None of this with the Nexus One. The browser in that handset breathes new life into the Android OS. On this handset all browser operation is electric-fast, rendering pages and images like a full-blown desktop equivalent. It is now a complete pleasure to use rather than the chore it once was.

Next up, the 5 megapixel camera, it is gorgeous. The LED flash is also quite powerful, at least when used reasonably close. I have not had a chance to use it outside in daylight but have no doubt, from what I've taken so far, that the pictures will be good. I certainly have not read any bad reports about this baby's capabilities.

Finally - the AMOLED screen itself. I remain impressed at the quality of this 65535 colour screen. It really is vibrant and astonishingly clear. The attached screen captures probably don't do any justice. This is a nice display, I can't take my eyes off of it.

So there you have it. A longer look at the Nexus One on day one (well, night one) of owning it.

Coming to the UK 'in Spring' guested by Vodafone initially and also available SIM-free, the Nexus One is a superb rendition of Android. HTC have done Google a justice in this device. It really is the top of the game for Android in January 2010.

If you are contemplating an Android this year then you will not go a single step wrong with the Google Nexus One.

3GScottishUser
9th January 2010, 10:48 AM
Like the proper display of the full webpage.

The nexus looks a pretty neat device.

Looking forward to some further details about usability etc.

I take it you have contacted 3 for a free USIM?

solo12002
9th January 2010, 11:41 AM
Handson

Oh my mouth is watering, thank goodnes for the B on ebay who dint post my HTC Here out resuling in me having the £400 to buy one. Think Im going to have to do this via google on sunday before I go back to work

Hands0n
9th January 2010, 11:55 AM
I take it you have contacted 3 for a free USIM?

Errr, well, considering our history I have to respond in those hallowed words "You can not be serious!!" :eek:

Right now I am running my Vodafone SIM in the Nexus. Essentially it replaces the HTC Magic that is being passed on to the Mrs.

I'll be reporting on the usability soon. So far the best description is one word and that is ... "fluid". Unlike previous Android handsets the Nexus One just flows, making full and good use of the updated hardware and that Snapdragon processor, even though it is underclocked to save battery power!

Ben
9th January 2010, 01:07 PM
When I receive stuff from overseas these days I tend to get an invoice from the courier a little while later for the VAT, so I suppose that is a possibility.

The handset sounds like a winner. Automatic configuration is such a must in mobile phones these days, especially if the tie between handset and operator is to be loosened. Yes, Apple have the carrier settings updates via iTunes, which I suppose is OK, but really the handset should detect whatever SIM is inserted and just do it all on the fly.

What's the deal with multi-touch then? Does it feel like it's missing at the moment?

Hands0n
9th January 2010, 01:52 PM
What's the deal with multi-touch then? Does it feel like it's missing at the moment?

Oh yes, most definitely. Once you're used to multi-touch and gestures they do get missed sorely.

I have experienced the Android multi-touch courtesy of CyanogenMod ROM running on an original G1 handset. It shows what is to come. Unfortunately the experience is somewhat dented by the lesser power of the G1's processor. Using multi-touch is a bit clunky and with lots of lag.

Given what I've seen of how responsive the Nexus One is I'd say that multi-touch would fly along on it.

One word for the Nexus One ... "fluid".

solo12002
9th January 2010, 07:28 PM
Some youtube videos and infoormation here:

https://sites.google.com/a/pressatgoogle.com/nexusone/videos

Handson note this:

Orders to destinations outside the United States are shipped via DHL Express as the courier service. All shipments require signature upon delivery. For international shipments, please be aware that you will be designated as the "importer of record" by DHL Express and charged by DHL for any applicable import duties, taxes, and fees. Learn more about Import Fees and Duties.

http://www.google.com/support/android/bin/answer.py?answer=166585

LutherinLondon
9th January 2010, 10:32 PM
Handson... Just joined as I read your mini-reviews. I, like you, have just ordered my own N1 and am waiting for it to arrive. The big question for me though is have you had any 3G issues as reported on the US T-Mobile network.

Can't find any UK users who have had hands-on experience of the phone and I'm little worried already.

Can you put my mind at rest?

Ben
9th January 2010, 10:58 PM
Hey LutherinLondon, welcome to Talk3G! Excuse my ignorance, what issues have T-Mobile USA subscribers been experiencing with 3G on the Nexus One?

LutherinLondon
9th January 2010, 11:07 PM
Hi Ben.... thank you :)

I've read numerous reports that some users are experiencing problems where the phone doesn't seem to connect to the 3G network and defaults to EDGE. Others say that the phone runs on 3G, drops to EDGE, but then refuses to move back to 3G again unless rebooted.

It's been suggested that the fault may lie in part with T-Mobile but again it might also be a hardware issue. Was just wondering if that issue was apparent on handsets running on UK networks.

If you google "nexus one 3g" you'll find pics where a G1 and N1 are side to side with one showing 3G and the other showing EDGE. :eek:

LutherinLondon
9th January 2010, 11:12 PM
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll81/Luther999/n1reception.png

Hands0n
10th January 2010, 12:10 AM
Handson... Just joined as I read your mini-reviews. I, like you, have just ordered my own N1 and am waiting for it to arrive. The big question for me though is have you had any 3G issues as reported on the US T-Mobile network.

Can't find any UK users who have had hands-on experience of the phone and I'm little worried already.

Can you put my mind at rest?

Hi LutherinLondon, welcome to Talk3G.

Lets start with putting your mind at rest ;) I have my Nexus One running on Vodafone's network and it hasn't missed a beat. So far it has stayed firmly locked on to the local 3G signal. I have not, yet, travelled with it into more marginal or non-existent Vodafone areas - and I pass through quite a few of those going to and from work. In fact, where I work in London's E1 area, the local Vodafone signal is not that brilliant.

I have observed, so far, that the people having the trouble all seem to be US-based and on the T-Mobile network. Not that it should make much difference but it could well be that the T-Mobile network signal strength is not as good as our isles. The Nexus One may be slightly less receptive to the network (you may recall that the iPhone had troubles until Apple increased the handset's sensitivity in a firmware release). We may face an Android 2.2 release sooner than later :)

What network do you intend to run your Nexus One on over here? I wouldn't anticipate problems with the handset though, unless it was faulty.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much. Distance selling regulations give you 14 days to decide whether the handset works for you or not. Google's own site where we bought our Nexus One from has the return policy well laid out for us.

Hopefully you will get your Nexus One in the next few working days. Do let us know how you get on with it. And if any problems check us out to see if we can offer any help or advice.

LutherinLondon
10th January 2010, 12:18 PM
HandsOn... thank you for your welcome... and more so, thanks for clarifiying. Ideally, I was hoping to use my O2 Simplicity SIM in the new unit and popping my Voda SIM into my old G1 however, like you, I tend to have problems with O2 reception at work so may eventually swap SIMs around.

If you say you're experiencing no problems to date, I'm much happier about letting the order run through and receiving it early next week. The wait is becoming unbearable :D

Also, I didn't realise DSR applied to products purchased from abroad.... I'll have another read at Google's T&Cs. Do you know what happens (worst case scenario) if the unit is returned to Google, yet DHL send you an invoice for import duty/VAT? Is this refundable? Just considering the 'what-if?' situation if it all goes wrong. :rolleyes:

Finally.... How are you finding it 24 hours later? Look forward to more mini-reviews from you.

3GScottishUser
10th January 2010, 02:09 PM
Today's Sunday Times 'In Gear' Section has a page devoted to the Nexus One.

Sadly it's not on-line!!

Bottom line is they were impressed and found it a favourable alternative to an iPhone although they reckon the range of apps needs beefing up a bit to compete.

I think on a contract the Nexus one could be a good alternative as it will probably be offerered on Vodafone's standard tarriffs which would make it an attractive deal at £35/month.

Hands0n
10th January 2010, 02:33 PM
HandsOn... thank you for your welcome... and more so, thanks for clarifiying. Ideally, I was hoping to use my O2 Simplicity SIM in the new unit and popping my Voda SIM into my old G1 however, like you, I tend to have problems with O2 reception at work so may eventually swap SIMs around.

If you say you're experiencing no problems to date, I'm much happier about letting the order run through and receiving it early next week. The wait is becoming unbearable :D

Also, I didn't realise DSR applied to products purchased from abroad.... I'll have another read at Google's T&Cs. Do you know what happens (worst case scenario) if the unit is returned to Google, yet DHL send you an invoice for import duty/VAT? Is this refundable? Just considering the 'what-if?' situation if it all goes wrong. :rolleyes:

Finally.... How are you finding it 24 hours later? Look forward to more mini-reviews from you.

Hmm, you make a good point about DSR. What I meant, really, is that Google seem to have the scope covered off on their website. Before I ordered I was reading up on the Ts&Cs and they did include a return period (as well as the 2-year warranty that the local US folk won't get!).

If you have to return for refund they said that they charge a re-stocking fee and don't refund the postage - so it isn't DSR as we know and love it here. The complication with DHL is something that I think will have to be worked through. I suppose you'd have to be able to demonstrate that the goods have in fact been returned to the seller. You know it isn't going to be trouble-free :D

Worst case - if you find you really don't like it - you'll probably better your money selling it on eBay. They are going for silly money (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=nexus+one+phone&_sacat=See-All-Categories) on there right now :eek:

I can understand your concerns - I felt these also - but I guess its all part of being an early adopter and importing this stuff, albeit legally and not via a "grey" channel. The ongoing support model for the Nexus One is unclear right now. Its RTB to HTC but who knows how well that works. Also talk on the US forums of insurers saying they will replace a lost/stolen/damaged Nexus One with a similar handset not a like for like! But I don't think we face those issues here with our insurers - in many ways we do customer service tons better than the Americans where it is all supposed to originate from.

24 hours later and I'm still having a ball with it. Android 2.1 is slightly different to the earlier versions. Not so much that its hard to adjust, but switching from one to the other makes for occasional finger fumbling. The audio is delightful, clarity is crystal clear - which is nice for a phone :D Image quality on the OLED still has be aghast. Although I've yet to try using it in bright daylight - something that is supposed to render OLED useless :mad: But I guess we can't have it all ways. It is a beautiful display, very easy on the eye.

I'm hoping to get some video out of its usability - that is the big difference between the Nexus One and any other Android so far (possibly with the exception of the Motorola Droid/Milestone). I've used the G1 and the Magic, they are slow and clunky by comparison, exhibiting lag and jerkiness in operation. The Nexus One's hardware has pretty much enabled the Android OS that now glides and flows in use. If you're not impressed with the upgrade I will be truly shocked :)

But you will find multi-touch missing. This is the US release of Android and so patents [allegedly] prevent them releasing the multi-touch. The EU version of Android will [again allegedly] have multi-touch. So we'll be having to update the Android ROM in these Nexus Ones manually, I'd have thought. As soon as that happens I'll post on here or put links to the locations of the instructions and required install image files.

Hands0n
10th January 2010, 06:24 PM
I'm preparing a few short videos of the Nexus One and popping them up on YouTube. They are in HD although YT has to format them so they may not be quite ready yet.

Anyway, the first is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXayZ1b0yGc

Enjoy :)

Hands0n
10th January 2010, 08:22 PM
And one more to cap off this weekend's activity in between household chores :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfjv_w-FeI8

LutherinLondon
10th January 2010, 09:39 PM
Excellent videos mate... Already subscribed. :D

3GScottishUser
10th January 2010, 10:40 PM
Has anyone found the Sunday Times review on-line yet or I am going to have to scan it?

LutherinLondon
10th January 2010, 10:43 PM
Has anyone found the Sunday Times review on-line yet or I am going to have to scan it?

A scan would be brill... :)

3GScottishUser
10th January 2010, 11:00 PM
A scan would be brill... :)

Let me see what I can do....... :)

Having some issues with file sizes but working on it...

LutherinLondon
10th January 2010, 11:17 PM
Is it this one?

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/personal_tech/article6981029.ece

Hands0n
10th January 2010, 11:56 PM
Nice find. I was going to bed but am now sitting up a while longer reading it. Thanks :D :D

3GScottishUser
11th January 2010, 12:25 AM
Is it this one?

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/personal_tech/article6981029.ece

Thanks ... saved me a pile of problems trying to shrink the PDF!!

Interesting reading and a direct challenge re the iPhone where the Android comes out looking a good alternative.

Hands0n
11th January 2010, 12:31 AM
Look, you two, I really am going to bed now ... :D

Ben
11th January 2010, 01:07 AM
Excellent videos Hands0n - I'm impressed with the UI, both implementation and speed.

gingertilly18
11th January 2010, 10:43 AM
howdy!
newbie here, but i just read the times review and at the end it said that the iphone was available for £345 sim free. even the 3g iphone is £450 sim free, the £345 figure would be PAYG i.e. network locked. the 3gs is around £800 sim free or £440 PAYG again network locked, so the nexus one, even imported and with VAT plus DHL fees will be near the £415 mark, which makes it cheaper than the iphone.
also with adobe working on flash for it, especially with sites like miniclip, the whole "killer" games thing may be sorted. i do have an iphone at the moment (2g) was going to get a 3gs but having tested one, i have decided against it. the apple OS (whilst great!) is stale. not much change since launch. using a 3gs was EXACTLY the same as using my 2g albeit a little faster. i find that the games are awesome on the iphone but the best ones are generally the casual and puzzle style games. to be honest, i have new music on my pc but the hassle of adding it to my itunes then creating a playlist then syncing is silly, id rather drag and drop! i got a g1 in jan 09 and loved it the OS was fresh and new and was let down by buggy hard ware. hence tmobile issued me with 4 replacements before i told them to give me a c905 instead. my only concern with the nexus one is whether i can get it repaired easily in the uk or have to send it away to do so. plus not knowing the final total fees for VAT and DHL. also will google/htc offer OTA updates etc?

michael

Ben
11th January 2010, 12:01 PM
Hi gingertilly18, welcome to Talk3G!

I'm still very much in love with the iPhone OS so I'm going to agree to disagree on those points, especially because of a renewed desire to see a more diverse makeup of mobiles around here! :)

AFAIK, as HTC already sell many handsets in the UK there will be no issues with repairs; the warranty definitely covers here and I would imagine HTC will treat the handset like any of their others. Again, AFAIK, you will get updates, yes. I'm sure Hands0n will have better answers!

@Hands0n - the appearance of the handset is very generic. Does it possess any qualities that make you want to pick it up and hold it? The iPhone, for example, is very touchable. Another one I know you'll relate to is the W900i, I was forever taking that out of my pocket and flicking the screen around! What can I say, I'm tactile; it has to feel nice!

miffed
11th January 2010, 08:13 PM
Excellent videos Hands0n - I'm impressed with the UI, both implementation and speed.

Agreed ,

Isn't it great that we can get such insights into new handsets in this fashion ?
I can think of a few handsets I'd have saved my money on , had I seen a video such as this before purchase , Then again , I'd not have considered the HD2 I am currently considering , had I not seen the slick UI vids on youtube

The videos are SO much more useful than manufacturers promos .

@NickyColman
11th January 2010, 09:27 PM
I think consumers are a LOT wiser to marketing splurge than they were a few years ago! A flashy. . . .Flash site doesnt cut it enough now!

I often find myself looking towards YouTube for user videos - completely unbiased & unedited.

Hands0n
11th January 2010, 09:35 PM
AFAIK, as HTC already sell many handsets in the UK there will be no issues with repairs; the warranty definitely covers here and I would imagine HTC will treat the handset like any of their others. Again, AFAIK, you will get updates, yes. I'm sure Hands0n will have better answers!

I don't know about "better" you ole flatterer you :D

I have absolutely no experience of dealing with HTC directly. However, the Google website does say that EU issues will be handled by HTC and that us lucky UK folk get a 2-year warranty instead of the miserly short warranty that the Americans get. But as Ben says, HTC are not new at this game - it just rather depends upon whether they are any good or not. I cannot vouch for them one way or the other... sorry.

@Hands0n - the appearance of the handset is very generic. Does it possess any qualities that make you want to pick it up and hold it? The iPhone, for example, is very touchable. Another one I know you'll relate to is the W900i, I was forever taking that out of my pocket and flicking the screen around! What can I say, I'm tactile; it has to feel nice!

It is a rather odd handset in that, for a flagship, it is rather anonymous looking. The colour scheme is a combination dark metallic grey, with the real metal being lighter than the plastic. But for all that it has attracted some attention at the office. People recognise it almost instantly, such has been the media hype. It has a very nice solid feel to it though, no creaky plastic panels, or fiddly buttons. I'm not sure that it has the "flash Harry" of the iPhone, although that is looking quite passe' these days.

All in all the Nexus One is a nice handset to hold.

LutherinLondon
11th January 2010, 10:16 PM
So HandsOn.... where's todays vids? :D

Hands0n
11th January 2010, 11:11 PM
So HandsOn.... where's todays vids? :D

LOL its on its way fella :D Today's is a single vid on the Notifications bar. I'll publish the URL on here and Twitter when its finished uploading.

It looks like it will take an hour or more to upload, then process. So I won't be able to post the URL until tomorrow. Although if you have subscribed to my channel I think you'll get an email telling you that a new video is ready to view.

I'm not sure how many of these I'll do. If you chaps have any ideas for a short vid just let me know and I'll put something together. Otherwise I'll be relying upon my own inspiration.

I really want to demonstrate the Noise Cancelling technology - but haven't figured a way to do it just yet ...

On another note. There was a brief discussion on this thread that referred to the UK Distance Selling regulations. I found the following on the Google documentation:-

EU Residents: No restocking fee will be charged to EU residents.
Google's return policy is in accordance with your right to cancel a
contract formed at a distance under the EU Distance Selling Directive.
Nothing within this policy affects your rights under law.
That saves us a $45 restocking fee and, if they're playing ball, there will be no postage charge either as both are covered. The DSD regulations should mean that the purchaser is not out of pocket for goods or postage, ie financially neutral.

LutherinLondon
11th January 2010, 11:31 PM
Thats good to know mate... Just checked my order and its been 'stuck' since the 8th.... not impressed :mad:

Hands0n
11th January 2010, 11:37 PM
Thats good to know mate... Just checked my order and its been 'stuck' since the 8th.... not impressed :mad:

It seems that you are not alone - seen a post on an Android forum where others have been stuck [in Indianapolis] since 8th also ... I suspect its to do with the weather in the US perhaps. See http://androidcommunity.com/forums/283915-post24.html

Or it may just be the glut of orders backing up! There are no announcements by Google or DHL so far as I have seen.

Hope you don't have to wait much longer.

LutherinLondon
11th January 2010, 11:47 PM
It seems that you are not alone - seen a post on an Android forum where others have been stuck [in Indianapolis] since 8th also ... I suspect its to do with the weather in the US perhaps. See http://androidcommunity.com/forums/283915-post24.html

Or it may just be the glut of orders backing up! There are no announcements by Google or DHL so far as I have seen.

Hope you don't have to wait much longer.

I didn't even get that far.... mine just says 'Your order has been received by Google.'

:(

Emailed Google Support.... not really expecting any sort of reasonable reply.....

Hands0n
12th January 2010, 12:19 AM
As requested - Here's the latest Nexus One video featuring the Notifications bar - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHAznflMaqA

The video has only finished uploading at 12:20am so will not be viewable for another few minutes.

@NickyColman
12th January 2010, 05:23 PM
@Hands0n - Just watched that video you made on the Notifications Bar . . brilliant!

It makes iPhone look like a Nokia 3210 in comparison!! It seems so, as you put it, fluid how the Android OS and the apps themselves seem to all flow into each other!!

Heres hoping iPhone 4.0 gets notifications sorted!! I dont want an FM radio or a HD screen *yet* - I want better Notifications & multitasking or else the same problems will reoccur further down the line.

gingertilly18
12th January 2010, 10:54 PM
i must admit that the iphone has revolutionized the mobile phone industry and the way we consume mobile media. i actually have a 2g iphone and it is the dogs what not's. i just feel that the OS has gotten stale with minor update after minor update. i was going to upgrade to a 3gs but having used a friends i thought "this is the same as my 2g but faster". admittedly apple have done wonders with the app store which everyone is trying to copy. i have not yet used a phone as responsive as the iphone, the keyboard is awesome and its so simple to get emails and web access and the games, oh the games, many times i have been playing for hours on end wearing my battery down. having previously owned a tmobile g1 on which the games were sub par (though android was only just taking off really) the iphone games own all others in comparison. im sure android has many decent games now but not many 3d action games like the iphone. (though the majority of the games i generally play are puzzle and casual which android probably has in abundance) i believe that most action games on the iphone are not really suited, i.e. FPS such as COD. plus adobe are developing flash for android so you will soon be able to go on sites like miniclip and play all your favorite games online.
however, i did not join this site to be an apple fan boy i joined it for news on the nexus one (and you guys have done a great job so far!) my main problem with apple is that in nigh on 3 years, very little has changed, sure its now 3mp not 2 and the processor is better and we have no longer got a recessed head phone jack but every thing else is virtually the same. this is why i couldnt justify upgrading to a 3gs, i mean the 2g is probably still one of the best touch screen phones around and its nearly 3 years old. the 3g is slightly better and the 3gs slightly better still. though i will admit that apple have a great device there isnt much they can do to make it better, i would have liked them to take their great OS and UI and have a number of different form factors etc but then you have the problem of fitting all the apps to each different screen size and resolution. iphone 4.0 will make or break apple (though it will still sell like hot cakes) if they just make minor improvements such as better camera and faster processor then BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! i will hopefully be importing a nexus one next week! fingers crossed.

i mean each to their own but i really dislike itunes, what a faff around to put new music on, yet some people love it, i dislike the simplicity of the iphone merely being an "app launcher" but thats what many people love about it.

errrr what point was i making..........

oh yeah, iphone rocks, but is like AC/DC, each album is sweet as and improves slightly but pretty much the same thing as the last,
android is like pink floyd, weird, uneasy and too differentiated from the norm for most people, but awesome non the less!

Hands0n - epic vids, keep up the good work! (question - how do you find the keyboard to use as compared to the iphone?

michael.

Hands0n
12th January 2010, 11:34 PM
@gingertilly18 - The keyboard in Portrait mode on the Android is a bit cramped because the screen is slightly narrower, or so it feels. But in Landscape mode it is as good as the iPhone's.

I found that the keyboard lag in the Magic and G1 were contributors to atrocious mistakes and constant repairs in my typing. On the Nexus One the powerful processor keeps up with the fingers quite nicely, lag is nonexistent, the liquid feel of the OS is apparent in the keyboard also.

3GScottishUser
13th January 2010, 12:24 AM
Look out for a feature on the Google Nexus one on BBC Click (BBC News/World News Channel) this coming week.

The show is covering CES over the next two editions but the Nexus will shown in the first.

LutherinLondon
14th January 2010, 04:56 PM
Phone finally arrived and its looking good. First problem though.... no APN settings. I'm sure somebody mentioned earlier that the N1 had a list of APNs prestored in it but mine seems to be blank. :(

Anyone know where I can get the settings for O2?

The search begins.... :o

LutherinLondon
14th January 2010, 06:09 PM
Found this which worked....

http://forum.o2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=144262#144262

:D

The Mullet of G
14th January 2010, 06:38 PM
It really isn't a thing of beauty, in fact it looks like something you might have seen kicking about in Tandy back in the 90's. :)

miffed
14th January 2010, 07:06 PM
It really isn't a thing of beauty, in fact it looks like something you might have seen kicking about in Tandy back in the 90's. :)

Could be a whole lot worse !

The Mullet of G
14th January 2010, 08:04 PM
Could be a whole lot worse !

Nice troll bro.

If I was to be critical though I would note that it felt like you were trying to hard, and also your off topic which leaves you wide open. I would give it a solid 6/10 which is roughly about the same score I'd give the Nexus One, bringing it nicely back on topic. :)

Hands0n
14th January 2010, 09:13 PM
... First problem though.... no APN settings. I'm sure somebody mentioned earlier that the N1 had a list of APNs prestored in it but mine seems to be blank. :(

Apologies, that would have been me then :o The Android OS has the settings for Vodafone and I took it that all of the UK networks would be in there.

For future use - if you ever want the settings for the various UK networks you can get all the info at http://www.filesaveas.com/ They've been going for ages and the info is accurate, albeit generic.

Hands0n
14th January 2010, 09:58 PM
Here's a short video taken by an American at near nightfall from their car and uploaded to YouTube all from the Nexus One. Nice video in HD quality!

LutherinLondon
15th January 2010, 12:17 AM
Here's a short video taken by an American at near nightfall from their car and uploaded to YouTube all from the Nexus One. Nice video in HD quality!

Can't see a link! :confused:

Hands0n
15th January 2010, 12:27 AM
Can't see a link! :confused:

Doh! I was rushing - here it is --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA6w6QdhyAk

I've not tried my video out on the Nexus One yet. This is pretty good for the time of day and location.

colin25
15th January 2010, 05:16 PM
Just got my nexus, worried about delay, but in fact reasonably quick. Ordered Monday, received today, held up at store for two days..but think there must have been some delay.

I also used email to contact support, asking when it would come, and reasonably quick reply...so, in one word..reasonable :)

Charging now

Ben
15th January 2010, 05:46 PM
Hi colin25, welcome to Talk3G!

Big congratulations on your new Nexus One, let us know how you find it!

miffed
15th January 2010, 06:11 PM
I am no expert on such things , but that looks like bloody good video to me !

colin25
15th January 2010, 06:32 PM
yes, i also agree, the video looks very good.

Just finished charging, loaded up very easily. I need to get used to using a touch screen (i have a nokia e66, or my gf will have now :) ). But it is working fine with my t-mobile payg sim. No need to put any settings in, 3g is showing.

And is looks pretty, yes, i know..not why you choose a phone, but having used a smaller screen, culture shock is keeping me happy (like neanderthal man finding a burger king, beats killing own food)
mod warfare 2 will need to wait, new toy in house :)

Hands0n
15th January 2010, 07:48 PM
Hi colin25 - allow me to second Ben's welcome to Talk3G and a fellow Nexus One owner.

The touchscreen is something that grows on you after a while. I used to index-finger poke the keys on the keyboard. Then someone saw me, took the pi55, I got them to show me how they do it and ever since I've trained myself to "touch type" using my two thumbs :D Some say that takes away the one-handedness of using a handset. But I care not :D

It is a great Android handset, best of breed. I can't stop fiddling with it at the moment ...

colin25
15th January 2010, 08:27 PM
thanks lads for the greeting.

yes, getting used to it. One finger tapping, indexing, but may try thumbing my way once i get used to it. Playing with apps now, just downloaded meebo, so my msn is solved (not surprised gtalk is anti-msn). All in all...loving it (and i've barely scratched the surface)

My only problem, explaining to my gf I've bought another phone...but that doesn't detract from the phone :)

Hands0n
15th January 2010, 08:37 PM
Earlier in the week I popped up three short videos on using the Nexus One - they will play nicely on the handset's built-in YouTube player. See them here http://www.youtube.com/user/hands0n :)

Hands0n
15th January 2010, 11:35 PM
The latest show n tell video is now up on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g_uGInl04s

Any suggestions for my next one? :D

I need a muse to up my creativity :D But the Mrs would probably hurt me if I got one ;)

Ben
16th January 2010, 02:56 AM
So slick it's sick. That trailer looked phenomenal. If I didn't have an iPhone I think I could be very happy with a Nexus One...

Hands0n
16th January 2010, 09:11 AM
Yea, I'm beginning to feel that the Nexus One is considerably faster and smoother than the iPhone 3GS, which in itself is a bit of a beast.

When preparing for those videos I am re-booting the handset so that there is nothing cached or multi-tasking. Those apps are having to load themselves into memory and run from cold.

colin25
16th January 2010, 09:23 AM
I'm finding the videos useful, handy tutorials :)

I was tempted to get i-phone, but for some reason didn't fall under its spell. But from what I'm experiencing, nexus is worthy, and not overly fussed which is better. My main criteria for a phone is can it text, can i phone, and these days can it internet and chat. This goes well beyond that.
I like net counter app, (spotted it on your video). I like knowing what amount I'm downloading.

In two words, love it :)

This message did not harm any i-phone owners in its production, yin yang philosophy

Hands0n
16th January 2010, 10:06 AM
Thanks @colin25 - I'm glad you're finding the videos beneficial.

I've been using Net Counter on my Vodafone HTC Magic since a few days after I got it. Always worried about going over the 500MB which sounds very miserly. It is amazing though that I haven't got close to doing that on the handset. Those that do seem to have trouble are either watching YouTube or other streaming sources continually, or they have tethered a laptop/netbook which drives up the useage remarkably.

Like you, I don't think the Nexus One will damage the iPhone, and see it as complementary in terms of touchscreen handsets. Another device, on another OS, showing the world how it should be done, setting the bar for others to meet :)

colin25
16th January 2010, 11:47 AM
@handson

Exactly the reason I like it, I want to monitor my usage. I got a PAYG booster from t-mobile, £20 for 6 months, with 1 gb fair usage. I think that is not a bad deal, but not sure what levels i will end up using. Hence my pleasure at this app.

Agree with setting the bar and healthy competition, it is scary that i-phone lacked that (from what everyone says about it), so looking forward to seeing further improvements in future.

miffed
16th January 2010, 02:21 PM
I think you'll be surprised quite how far that GB goes - I installed Netcounter on the HTC Magic because I was worried about the pawltry 500mb "unlimited" use Vodafone supply
I used netcounter for a few weeks , then realised that is simply wasn;t going to be a problem ! Great App though

LutherinLondon
16th January 2010, 09:47 PM
Can I just say that I'm absolutely loving the Nexus 1 experience. The Android 2.1 is just a huge leap compared to my G1 sat next to it.

Battery life was my biggest gripe and even though its no marathon runner.... it has improved substantially.

Handson.... excellent vids mate. I recommend you figure out a way of showing the noise cancellation technology (like you suggested earlier).... that'd be quite interesting :D

Regarding Netcounter.... might give that a go.... does it work on the N1? Also discovered another great app... WaveSecure.... check it out :cool:

colin25
16th January 2010, 10:08 PM
@luther

I have the netcounter on nexus 1, first i knew of it was watching handson vids.

colin25
17th January 2010, 01:31 PM
@luther

thanks for the tip about wavesecure. says free untill 31st jan for android users (a lifetime subscription), 15 euros a year retail.

It had me at free :)

colin25
17th January 2010, 08:45 PM
Spotted an interesting review

http://www.ismashphone.com/2010/01/nexus-one-day-one-iphone-comparison.html

by ismashphone

Hands0n
17th January 2010, 08:59 PM
@colin25 - yup an interesting review, nice find :) I'd go along with a lot of what they've written having the opportunity to use both.

3GScottishUser
17th January 2010, 10:25 PM
Catch the review on the Nexus One on the BBC iPlayer (BBC Click) - this week.

A positive review and a good interview with Steve Balmer who was keeping mum about Win Mob 7 but he was 'interested' that Google had decided to get into the hardware market with mobile phones whilst trying to promote it's mobile OS to manufacturers. An interesting point.

solo12002
19th January 2010, 09:22 PM
now as we have a page set aside for the I phone what about for Nexes or Google handsets

Hands0n
19th January 2010, 10:06 PM
now as we have a page set aside for the I phone what about for Nexes or Google handsets

Its certainly worth a consider. Although the Nexus will be superceded by other Google handsets in time. They may not follow the Nexus lineage. Watch this space ...

solo12002
22nd January 2010, 08:14 AM
Ok Nexus users .

Anyone came across an app yet for it that allows you to get push email for other accounts apart from goggle, ie hotmail etc?

If so what and does it work?

hecatae
24th January 2010, 11:40 AM
been browsing the whatmobile forums, peopole are returning nexus ones for full refunds :D and htc are repairing and sending them back :confused:

Hands0n
24th January 2010, 12:53 PM
LOL - thats too funny.Well, not for those who are genuinely wanting to return them for full refund. I suppose that as long as they have the returns number they're covered to make a claim. But this is Google's first venture into direct selling and, as may be anticipated, they are getting it quite wrong!

I'm only grateful that I have no problems with mine, nor any intention of sending it back. It is simply the best Android made to date and sets the bar for the rest.

To get an idea of how good the camera is on the Nexus One this link to another [Nexus] forum illustrates plainly that in daylight it is a formidable image taker http://androidcommunity.com/forums/287534-post26.html

Almost HD quality .... Impressive.

LutherinLondon
25th January 2010, 01:13 AM
Equally impressed. I had to take some pics in a dark basement room of some errrr.... 'plants'.... pics came out so much better than i expected. My colleagues struggled with their iPhones :D even with the aid of a high power torch.

Still enjoying the N1 experience? Damn right..... :cool:

LutherinLondon
25th January 2010, 01:37 AM
Them there pics are shockingly sharp by the way....

Ben
25th January 2010, 12:10 PM
Can't fault it on the pictures. Some of them look slightly unusual but this is a phone we're talking about here.

colin25
26th January 2010, 06:58 PM
I'm still happy with my nexus, more i use it..more i realise what I was missing before. Wouldn't trade mine for anything.

I am now waiting for future models of this quality.

The issue with 3g dropping in the states, must be because of their network, phone is fine for me.

The Mullet of G
26th January 2010, 10:21 PM
I'm still happy with my nexus, more i use it..more i realise what I was missing before. Wouldn't trade mine for anything.

I am now waiting for future models of this quality.

The issue with 3g dropping in the states, must be because of their network, phone is fine for me.

I think there was a similar issue with the Nokia 5800 when it was launched in the States, so wouldn't be surprised if it was an issue on their end.

Hands0n
26th January 2010, 10:26 PM
I agree with colin25 - the Nexus One continues to grow on me. I have to say that it is pretty much on a par with the pace-setter and Apple should be worried about that because it means that some serious competition is now apparent. There's no turning back now. So will tomorrow (Wednesday 27th) reveal their response?

Everyone I show the Nexus One to is impressed with its build quality, the aesthetics and the sheer speed of operation. Of course, using the Nexus One on a good, fast, network helps show off the handset's capability. It is one slick smooth and fast handset.

If nothing else though, the Nexus One has set the bar for all Android followers. It will be an interesting period where the other manufacturers respond - or not!

colin25
27th January 2010, 05:50 AM
Can't comment on setting the bar, I never knew there was one (apple a day to me was always for eating)

But I've noticed when reading nexus reviews, the pro-iphone anti-google views, which seem to be because they love their iphone.

Seems excessive, but maybe iphone is that good. I like the nexus, but love? I save that feeling for more tangible and warm things, so i'll wait until apple bring out the i-woman :)

Hands0n
27th January 2010, 07:12 AM
:) I'd say that Apple set the bar for touchscreen handsets with their original iPhone and that it has not really been exceeded yet. It is still the 'standard' that all else is compared against by the entire industry of watchers. And boy does it raise some emotion (just flick through any article's comments section on The Register) where you will see a veritable Jihad in full swing.

The Nexus One is the best Android touchscreen yet in my opinion. I believe that is largely due to the hardware finally being capable of running the OS at a decent enough speed. Previous Android handsets still exhibited a certain "lagginess" and jerkiness to their operation. Load up anything more than one or two apps and things start to get decidedly dodgy, in my experience of the HTC Magic and latterly the G1. I don't think small RAM memories helped much!

But passions arise in almost any discussion/spat about iPhone vs WinMo vs Android vs anything-Nokia such that full expressions of 'love' are made, as mentioned above. I think we, here in this more mature-minded forum, can see how silly that all is. For my part, I prefer a more objective approach, even if it is less fun. And so, objectively, I feel that the Nexus One has risen to the bar set by Apple, in Android terms. The 'experience' is so much more satisfying than previous, where the OS and hardware are more integrated in the whole product.

I still prefer to overall experience of the iPhone (handset, desktop, cloud) and treat it like an appliance. It works consistently well. The Android is more of a "PC in your pocket" to me where I tend to experiment and play around with the OS quite a bit, treating it less like an appliance in that if it didn't work I'd use the Apple tool. But that is not to detract from what I believe Google and HTC have done with the Nexus One, that being to produce a top-notch device to start this new decade with.

Just to be OT for a moment.
Interesting comment about the prospect of the iWoman. Lets see now, if such were to become available (i.e. Blade Runner stylee) which among us would actually purchase one?

colin25
27th January 2010, 04:32 PM
Sigh, wishful thinking about the i-woman.

Sods law it would come with the i-mother-in-law, i-relatives, and would only work if you spent a fortune charging it :)

The Mullet of G
27th January 2010, 08:09 PM
Ugh I can't believe I'm about to say this, but having watched your Nexus One videos I have to conclude that the OS looks really slick, and I might actually have to consider getting one. There I said it. :o

Hands0n
27th January 2010, 08:31 PM
There I said it. :o

Didn't hurt, did it? :D I suspect there'll be sufficient Google detractors for your absence not to be noticed LOL ;)

It is actually a very nice handset - and finally has sufficient power for the Android OS.

The Mullet of G
27th January 2010, 09:20 PM
Didn't hurt, did it? :D I suspect there'll be sufficient Google detractors for your absence not to be noticed LOL ;)

It is actually a very nice handset - and finally has sufficient power for the Android OS.

It was actually quite painful, I considered making a petty stab about a two tone Tandy paint job to make myself feel better, but it was futile and the damage had already been done. I wasn't overly keen on the aesthetics of the phone to start with, but the more I see it the more I think I could probably put up with it. The overall hardware spec is pretty decent all round, even the camera seems to be good. Wouldn't mind getting some hands on time with one to get a better feel for it, is it actually available in UK phone-shops yet?

Hands0n
28th January 2010, 12:19 AM
.The overall hardware spec is pretty decent all round, even the camera seems to be good. Wouldn't mind getting some hands on time with one to get a better feel for it, is it actually available in UK phone-shops yet?

The camera is actually very good - it really does justice to the 5mpxl spec that it is. Those daylight shots that I linked to above are completely honest. In pics I took in the garden the resolution is very high and the colour saturation is excellent (even for a camera I would say).

The Nexus One is not yet commercially available anywhere in the UK, only by mail order direct from Google. But Vodafone are supposed to be getting them in during the first quarter of this year, so I expect that you'll be able to nip down to the local store to get your mitts on one. The aesthetics come in for some criticism, but I really like them and I suppose it truly is a case of each to their own.

Y'know? Sometimes you just gotta 'fess up and admit it, Google done good for a first 'un. Of course, for HTC it really must have simply been a case of BAU. Interesting that HTC can build to order like this. It holds great promise for other iconic Androids to come from their production lines.

colin25
2nd February 2010, 07:43 PM
Not an unfair review. agree with most of what it says..but more so, as I'm a fan :)

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/bee9ae5e-0c3f-11df-8b81-00144feabdc0.html?nclick_check=1

LutherinLondon
2nd February 2010, 11:58 PM
Well? Anyone done a manual update to enable MT amongst other things yet.....?

I'm sooooo tempted :D

Hands0n
3rd February 2010, 06:53 AM
I'm still waiting. I did the "checkin" command but so far there has been no update notified. I'm hoping this is not restricted to the USA, but it may be a short while before we get it in the UK ... I'm not sure how or if they can tell what region you are in. This is, after all, a factory SIM-free device ...

colin25
3rd February 2010, 08:05 PM
I think I'll wait until update comes, rather than try website manual update.

Loving phone. Just did two texts to sister, using voice..made slight error on one..took two seconds to redo..who needs typing :)..two thumbs up lol

Hands0n
3rd February 2010, 09:12 PM
@colin25 - I keep forgetting all about the Voice Input - it just never occurs to me!! You may have just reminded me to try to use it more :D I don't think that I've ever tried using it for serious texting LOL

colin25
4th February 2010, 05:20 AM
For texting, it is perfect. Not worth doing for search, predictive typing is good enough. But mega impressed with voice, very very smooth.

colin25
4th February 2010, 04:12 PM
Another interesting article (or so I thought)

http://www.top10.co.uk/mobilephones/blog/2010/02/top_10_reasons_to_get_a_google_nexus_one/

colin25
8th February 2010, 07:45 PM
The Linux man says yes :)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20000053-264.html

Ben
8th February 2010, 09:12 PM
I wonder if Linus has ever tried an iPhone... somehow I think that would probably be against everything he stands for ;)

colin25
9th February 2010, 06:00 AM
@Ben

lol yes, when reading it, it did sound like he was slightly biased. Then again, probably Jobs is too..an apple a day only keeps him happy (or is that 10,000 :) )

colin25
9th February 2010, 03:48 PM
Sigh..got VAT bill for phone today...i expected it..but still hate paying it...my money doesn't leave me easily :)

hecatae
9th February 2010, 03:58 PM
Sigh..got VAT bill for phone today...i expected it..but still hate paying it...my money doesn't leave me easily :)

how much was VAT?

colin25
9th February 2010, 05:11 PM
@mob453

Total was £81.95

Customs duty was £17.18
Vat £63.18
admin £1.61

colin25
8th May 2010, 09:15 PM
http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2010/05/07/google-nexus-one-customer-refunds-due-to-sales-tax-issue/
rebate due for us early adopters from google?..hope so :)

Hands0n
8th May 2010, 10:15 PM
I took this to be for US customers only. I'd love some money back of course :D